Offensive newspaper jab at puppeteers

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It seems to me that whoever wrote the article, in general, has a very sharp (not in a good way) and sarcastic sense of humor, and is not just victimizing puppeteers (though I admit that saying puppeteers are child molesters was uncalled for), but just about everyone he has written about in the article; a lot of people write like that, in pathetic attempts to be funny, even though they can be a bit off color at times.

I mean, this article does seem like material written for a lousy stand up comedian to me.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Newspapers just don't like puppetry. I recall reading an article about public broadcasting in the US that mentioned SST, saying "The actors that play the puppets..."

Wait what? We have a name and now we have a thing against newspapers. I didn't find that article funny at all, not really offensive but just cringeworthy.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The guy who wrote the article said:
...even though puppeteers would finish second only to the piano teacher in the “What Professions are Most Likely To Molest My Kids?” poll if one were ever taken.

If that's a joke, it's about as funny as The Sorrow and the Pity.

Walter

Reaction score
That's disgusting... that's not even something to joke about.. I would like to see that writer walk up to one of the poor victims of child molestation and say "I don't take you seriously":grr:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
You just expressed what ran through my head when I read that a lot better than I ever could.

Quite frankly, I'd be outraged no matter what profession he was slamming, but singling out puppeteers (and piano teachers) just seems like hitting below the belt. :mad:

Terrence Burke

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. As a parent of two young children, and as a puppeteer who performs for children and their families, this clown's "humor" really ticked me off. Did he reply? Apologize to the puppet community? Of course not.

robodog

Reaction score
Forget him. He's an idiot. If this is what he thinks is funny he'd do well to actually watch something done by a decent puppeteer to see what real humor is. Jim Henson has probably crapped things that were funnier than this moron.
I'm not a puppeteer but I highly respect the art form. The ability to breathe life into a puppet is an awesome skill to have. Much more impressive than the ability to make sarcastic, unfunny comments in a third rate newspaper column. I'm not even a puppeteer and this lackwit's comments are making my blood boil.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Dude is writing a weekly column (if you can call it that) for a newspaper in Cincinnati that most people have never heard of, much less ever bother to read. Ignore him.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
I'm with Buck on this one. Not worth the energy to respond.