Now what's going on with YouTube?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And, who really cares about YouTube friends? People just send 'em willy-nilly and I basically ignore all of them now.
I've been having to do that for like a couple of years now, even though I specifically have written in my channel description not to send me a friend request, because most of these people are ones that simply want to have a butt-load of "friends" and subscribers (like anywhere between 2,000 and 10,000+).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's just the new channel designs is clunky
Oy, that forced switch happens day after tomorrow... basically against everybody's will just like last time.

The NEW new channel designs are even worse... one side of the design dominated by HUGE thumbnails, the other side dominated by thumbnails so ridiculously tiny you have to change the zoom level to see them... and on top of that, have you noticed that it seems like they've basically gotten rid of just about all other features on channels, such as comments, favorites, friends, subscribers, bulletins, activity feeds, etc? I have no idea what their motive is this time, last time they said it was because they said the new design looked and worked better, but this time they really have no reason for the switch whatsoever.

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
Ugh, I don't like how we'er all being forced to change to the new layout either, I don't really care for it...I was trying to come up with a nice background for my page after seeing the neat things people are able to do with the older one. The new layout blocks a majority of the screen. How am I supposed to get creative with that?! :frown:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, now that Hitler has forced his latest Nazi regime onto us, here is my take on why these NEW new channels suck even more so than the last new channels...

1. YOU CAN'T CUSTOMIZE THEM! Seriously, you can't choose from preset color schemes and themes, or even create your own, the only customizing you can do is your avatar and background image. Big whoop. And you can't even rearrange the layout of your channel on where you want certain modules to go, you have to select four pre-existing designs that are supposed set up based on what type of channel you are: '"Creator", "Blogger", "Network", etc.
2. Now... what in the world is the point of this? There's still an area on our channels where people can post comments... but then what? There's no comment module anymore, you can't even read comments, so what's the point of leaving a comment if all that's going to happen is they just disappear? Very stupid.
3. We can't even see who are subscribers are now? Instead, all we get is a little text blurb in the header that tells us how many subscribers we have? Whatevs!
4. No matter which of the pre-designed channel layouts we choose from, the way our uploaded videos are presented on our channels is just plain awful... either they're typical search results, only with too large thumbnails which is an eyesore, or they're presented in these rows of ridiculously tiny thumbnails that look like banners someone would make for their signatures on a forum. It's an epic fail either way.
5. What WAS the point of all this anyway? At least last time, the Nazis behind YouTube gave a reason for that forced switch, claiming the new channels were "improved" with more "features" that were to be useful for us; but they gave us NO reasoning behind THIS switch whatsoever, and we've lost pretty much all of our features...

But what can we do? In this day and age, YouTube is a necessary evil.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I lived this day and age without youtube until last year. I don't think its exactly necessary to live :wink:
I mean for people like myself who basically rely on YouTube as a means of gaining exposure for our work and accomplishments.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There are, but they're not as well-known by the general public, so that would make it a little more difficult. I know a lot of people recommend Blip.tv, but even they have their own share of problems, such as slow loading/buffering (even with high-speed internet connections), and ads that are a lot more intrusive than YouTube's.

There's also Dailymotion, Veoh, Metacafe, but again, they have similar problems like Blip.tv... and of course MegaVideo is probably gone by now since MegaUpload was shut down by the government.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hehe... those places SUCK. They really, really do. I mean, it's a great way to hide the very same cartoons and TV shows that get routinely taken down off YT (though they get taken down just as fast), but they're just.... just bleeding awful to use. For the longest time, you couldn't watch videos over 5 minutes on Veoh.

And who really the heck uses Veoh? That's like the RC cola of video services. Dailymotion... well, I'm not going to tell you the tiny advantage that one has. They don't have prudish issues of content. All I'm gonna say.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The only thing DailyMotion has that YouTube doesn't is the video image system. YouTube's still doin' that "chose from one of these 3" while DailyMotion lets you pause the video and make that the image.