"Not-real Kermit" Benefit Appearance

Keeermit

Reaction score
As I said in the title I'm pretty sure Disney wouldnt be happy with this! As i have heard in the past he is not a big favorite of the Henson/Disney Company since he left on bad terms ( dont know the full story just rumors) - But I'm sure he knows better than to use a Kermit replica for a live performance - even if it does sound more like Nicky from Avenue Q . And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be performing for free. I think fan made videos on youtube are one thing - but performing it live somewhere could be dangerous. I have mixed feelings about it, What do you think about this?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_nxE1wI2U

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The performance was good. Kermit's gestures were a little too sharp for the mellow fifty-something frog. The puppet also looked nice. I just don't think he should be doing this on stage. Heck, if this were a kid's school talent show it would be a different story, but this appears to be a paid comedy club bit. I'm sure he's not making much from this performance, but the frog does not belong to him. I consider him somewhat of a Doc Hopper for running with this without the appropriate permission. Why doesn't he get his own puppet out there and start his own following? I'm sure he could manage something. That's my word on it.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
It was for somthing called the "Sonnet Benefit", free perfromance, the song was from the proposed muiscal film staring the muppets called Kermit Prince of Denmark, bobby lopez and jeff marx wrote it before creating Avenue Q, Rick had helped them workshop that script as well,

unpaid gig, and the procedes went to charity., and no one claims it to be the genuine Kermit,

Keeermit

Reaction score
oh thanks for the extra information :smile: Its always good to know the stories behind the youtube videos that people put up.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I love the Internet and don't want it regulated too much, but one problem is information isn't always properly transmitted.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A benefit is okay I guess. Still that could get sticky. Some charities have been known for mismanagement and Disney wouldn't want Kermit associated with that. I'm sure this charity is legit, but it would be better for them to contact Disney or create original puppets. Does anybody know what they were raising money for?

Keeermit

Reaction score
well after looking at the broadway world article - I am confused :smile: . It says "Rick Lyon and Kermit the Frog" not "Rick Lyon and a Kermit Tribute" or anything like that - that is a little sticky as far as im concerned. Not that it makes any difference to my life - but I wouldnt want Rick Lyon to get into trouble from Disney ( not that he would I'm sure ) . Im sure most of the audience thought it was the real kermit - even if it did look more like a "vault of puppets" kermit - i'm sure Rick made him. Ok i've said enough on this topic - So it must be fine for any of us to use muppet replica puppets for charity events - thats good to know. :smile: