1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

No Oscar Performance?

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by MuppetGuy75, Feb 7, 2012.

1. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

2. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

3. Fersureitsjess

Fersureitsjess Active Member

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Even if they did perform it, they'd find a way to screw it up somehow. Like having Not Jason Segal and Not the Muppets sing it because it's funnier if Andre Botacelli does.

Still, they're own fault for only nominating 2 songs. There's no reason that none of the other songs got nominated as well... at least "Life's a Happy Song."

The Academy has the usual bug up its butt about what they picked this year... I'm kinda glad Cars 2 got a righteous snub... but Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close... yeah. That's the kinda sad, sad story that's Oscar bait because Sad= art. I'm no Harry Potter fan, but I agree the last movie got severely snubbed.
  5. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

There's still time for them to change their minds. I'm not expecting that, but it could happen.
  6. Borples

Borples Active Member

People have been tweeting @TheAcademy about it, too. I don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt.

The thing is, I heard murmurings about the best songs not being performed back when the long list of potential nominees was announced. The decision may not have anything to do with there only being two nominees. Not that it matters; it's still a lousy decision. And it's a horrible disappointment that they would choose THIS year to make that change!
  7. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

8. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, but I'm not signing the petition. Not because I don't want to see Man or Muppet performed at the awards, I do, rully I do. It's because I just clicked on the link to go to the petition and it kept clickety-clicking messing with my internet browser, pulling up blank windows that wouldn't stop until it did and then when I minimized/tried to close the non-relevant extra windows, I got a Windows Explorer "end program" message box that pretty much exited out of the petition window and FB windows I had set up to sign and then comment I'd done so.

So yeah... :grr: :grouchy: :attitude: :(
    Have fun and hope the rest of you can make a Muppety difference. :) :jim: :p
  9. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I now have no reason to watch the Oscars this year.
  10. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

My worry now nis that because Muppet fans are griping so much they will give the Oscar to the other song out of spite :(
  11. Richard

Richard New Member

I'm a big supporter of the Muppets needing to be on the Oscars... to the point where I created a Facebook page called Muppets Or No Oscars and wrote a piece about it for theTVAddict.com called Sing Kermie, Sing! If anyone would like to support the "cause", head over to the Facebook page and hit like. And for my thoughts on WHY this is so important, you can click here. Um... yes, I guess you could say this is something of a personal crusade for me. LOL. What can I say? The world needs more muppets, not less! Feel free to repost/link any of the above with both my permission and, more importantly, gratitude! Let's make this happen!!!
    Muppet fan 123 and DannyRWW like this.
  12. Drtooth

Ah, they were probably going to give it to Rio anyway. The Bakadamy picked a lot of crap for nominations this year.

Still, they should at LEAST have let the Muppets hand out the Animated Feature awards or have Piggy intro the costume design awards.
  13. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

If there's any hope, it comes from this portion of the original article on the Deadline Web site (the source for the Billboard.com story):

Though this decision sounds firm because of the telecast’s pressure-cooker time constraints, some of those affected hope all-powerful Academy Awards telecast producers Brian Grazer and Don Mischer still have a work in progress.

“The show is not locked yet. Decisions about this and other things continue to be evaluated by the team trying to produce the most entertaining 3 hours possible,” one authoritative source just emailed us. “Someone ‘leaking’ this possibility to you is just another way for people to try and influence the creative direction of the show.”

Glad to hear, as well, that Disney (and Fox) appear to have fought the possibility that both songs could be eliminated.

Of course, I have a bit of Muppet bias but I think it's flat-out ridiculous to drop the Best Song nominee performances, particularly this year. The academy shouldn't kid itself - the Oscar telecast is a long, deadly snoozefest even at the best of times. Why not pop in something that could bring some much-needed colour and humour to the proceedings?
  14. Drtooth

I don't like how they have like 9-10 nominees for best film, and give all that time to swooning over them via long clips and even longer introductions. They can't squeeze in about... let's say 7 minutes for 2 songs to the show? Thing runs very long all the time.

Look at the year "Blame Canada" was nominated for best song. It didn't win, but the performance by Robin Williams was one of the most memorable things I've ever seen. Even if Man or Muppet doesn't win (and it SHOULD), just the performance would be worth it. Though I hope in this case they get the Muppets, or at least the Jason Segal Muppet and Walter.
  15. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

That's funny...I was thinking about "Blame Canada" too. I didn't even like the South Park movie but I thought that Oscar performance was a piece of genius. That's an excellent example for our current discussion.

I don't think the academy realizes that it's blowing a glorious chance to create some goodwill with a jaded moviegoing (and TV-watching) public. Can you imagine the water-cooler buzz the following day, chattering about the Muppets showing up for a big Oscar production number, with Jason Segel and perhaps even Jim Parsons - who's HUGE due to the success of The Big Bang Theory - reprising their movie roles?

I don't want to assume that the Oscar show's problems would be fixed by a Muppet production number but I'm shuddering at the potential for a huge missed opportunity on Academy Award night...
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

And then they wonder why people don't watch the Oscars anymore, lol.
  17. Richard

Richard New Member

I ain't gonna lie: Of all the nominated films — and we’re talking in every category, from best pic to supporting actor — I've only seen one. And I'm not ashamed to admit that one flick was Bridesmaids.
  18. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

that's pretty common these days. i've seen more but that's only because i'm really into film and kind of seek them out

people don't watch the oscars anymore because less people have seen the movies that get nominated. i'm not saying they should nominate stuff like transformers just to get people to watch, but now there's such a gap between awards movies and popular movies. it used to be more mixed
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

And even the ones that actually are nominated tend to still be "popular films." You won't see too many decent independent ones, heh. Nor will you see too many working actors receiving awards when you have movie stars to take all the glory. Theses awards shows are just a way to keep the Hollywood machine going, not to reward art.
  20. zoebell

zoebell Active Member

that's because they still want to keep it the center of attention. if they completely dumped movie stars and any popular movies at all for only indies and working actors, it would basically become the Tony's. Awards for a select group of people with no outreach to the general public. but people still think of the Academy Awards as the ultimate thing for movies, and they don't want to let that go

of course, if it keeps going the way it's going, it may end up that way eventually.