No more hand drawn Disney cartoons

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
What do the MC members think about this subject? Going into the all computer cartoons,I'll miss the hand drawn ones myself.Sure,there are so many realms to go into that can't be accomplished(for the most part)with hand drawn animation,as opposed to cgi.Please post your opinion.Thanks for looking. :smirk:The main ad I noticed about this is in the site CNN.com under entertainment. :cool:

Drtooth

Reaction score
If Disney and Pixar were'nt through after Cars (next year's film), I'd be a little more settled.

I mean, their projects have been if-y as of late. I like Lilo and Stitch (their last traditional animated hit), and Brother Bear (which was a dissappointment at the box office, probably cause of reviews, which oddly didn't stop anyone from seeing the God Awful eyesore, The Cat in the Hat).

Still don't know if I want to see the Cow thing. Saw Scooby Doo instead.

I mean, there is supposed to be one more, that they're not discussing, starring Mickey Mouse Donald duck and Goofy as the Three Mouseketeers...

After that, they're looking to do a partnership with the studio that animated Shrek (odd pairing). Their in house CGI movie sucked, and it was just a soul-less experiance. an unentertaining slog through the mud. Without dialogue, and less than half the time, it would have been a good IMAX film, but they wanted to sell crappy toys! :cry:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think it's really a bummer they're not going to do traditionally animated films anymore. Computer animation is great, but it shouldn't replace regular animation altogether. Disney has a long history of wonderful animated movies. I'll be really sorry to see it end. I finally saw "Brother Bear" and hope to catch "Home on the Range" in the theater. I think the Three Musketeers movie looks pretty good. I'd like to see that. So does this mean no more hand-drawn films period, or will they still do direct-to-video?
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Disney is making more mistakes by the dozen. CGI was an idea they thought would work but Eisner lost Pixar from the company, and now the Diz is stuck without any animation departments!

So, what'll they do? Well, they can hire out from other companies, I'm sure. In the meantime, the Big Cheese lost a lot of people their livlihoods and a way of american entertainment is dead now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel that it is a big mistake, but they do need to breath new life into their movies. This may be a good or bad thing, I cannot tell. I feel mixed about the news.

If anything, this may put a hault to cheapquals (though I hear Lion king 1 1/2 is actually pretty good) of older films, at least.

Their last animated features were sadly hit or miss, and their best animated film in recent years (IMO) was Teacher's Pet, which was released at a weird time of the year.

I've recently noticed something. Do you think that Disney released Home on the ranger purposely in April, so as not to get bogged down by the summer's more obvious winner, Shrek 2? I do not know if it'll be a hit or not, but I think that if 2001 was any judgemnt, Shrek will blow Diz out of the water. Few people did see Atlantis. i enjoyed it, but not a favorite.

McFraggle

Reaction score
I doubt it will halt cheapquels, and the Mickey Three Musketeers is technically a cheapy as well. It is a shame that Disney doesn't realize that it is not the technique, it is the story. When Sleeping Beauty and other movies were initial failures, Walt didn't shut down the studio. He knew that the movies would eventually find an audience which they did. Sleeping Beauty is now one of the more highly regarded Disney films of the '50s.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I think it's a shame, although what small amount of work I've seen on Chicken Little looks like it deserves a chance. Shutting down the FL animation still upsets me (and what upsets me even more is that they still tour people though there and just say they're 'on vacation'....yeah....a permanent one!) Hopefully Disney will realize their mistake, as it is a big one.

McFraggle

Reaction score
The thing Disney fails to realize is that Brother Bear and Home on the Range and all of those films, while they may not make huge money now, they will recoup their investments years later. Many of the early films didn't make much money, but they have made it back over the years. Currently, that's the problem when the CEO is short-term oriented.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
It's a version of 3 Musketeers, full-length, I'm pretty sure, featuring Mickey, Donald and Goofy as the 3 Musketeers. Minnie and Pete are also major characters.
Erin