No More 2D Animated Films At Disney

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The terrible spelling and grammar in that article has me very concerned...

It also has no sources (never mind, had to re-read it).

I still don't totally trust it though...

But 2D hand drawn animation really is a thing of the past :/

jvcarroll

Reaction score
2D animation is not an artifact of the past, but it has been treated like one. It's an artform just like any other and its success depends on those involved with each project.

The Princess and the Frog was supposed to usher in a new demand for traditional animation. You can blame the marketing, the title or 2D animation, but the failure is one of story. It was poorly written! The animation was beautiful and the characters were interesting, but the movie was all over the place.

All 2D animation needs is a writer/director with something to say that speaks to moviegoers. Unfortunately we get rehashes of better films and self-indulgent movies that wouldn't pass a year-one film school critique.

I've never understood the failure of story because these films are made in slow motion. They take years! I was disappointed in FrankenWeenie, but I blame Tim Burton's lack of imagination and not stop-motion animation. The film would have been just as bad in CG.

I think traditional animation is fated for a comeback in popularity. It just needs quality writing and a good idea.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
All I meant was that companies are too scared to use it these days. Everything is either cgi or flash...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
****!!! I had a very lengthily reply I was about to post, but when I hit the backspace to fix a mistake, for some reason, it took me several pages back, and I ended up losing my entire post! ******!
All I meant was that companies are too scared to use it these days.
No they're not... they're just LAZY. They use CGI because it's easier, quicker, and cheaper to just do it all on computers, as opposed to sitting around, and drawing thousands and thousands of pictures to make a character mouth one syllable for one second's worth of time.

They call this "progress".

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Lazy, scared, same difference. The only thing that matters is that they don't want to do it.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
:eek: NOOOOOO!!! SINCE WHEN IS ANOTHER 2D ANIMATED FILM GOING TO BE RELEASED IN THEATERS!?!?!?!?!?! (Not Disney, but other studios like Warner Bros, Fox, Paramount, etc.)

Now, the only animation were going to have in theaters is the computer animated ones and the claymation ones.

Well, at least Disney hasn't gave up on 2D Animation for TV Shows and Commercials.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, at least Disney hasn't gave up on 2D Animation for TV Shows and Commercials.
Um, have you even seen the shows and commercials? Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto have been CGI for years now.