Next year the Muppets will be 50 years old

MJTaylor

Reaction score
What do you suppose they will do to celebrate?

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
I am not quite sure. Probably muppet merchandise will have exploded all of the world and kermit will be recognized once again by non-muppet freaks. Nice for those who collect. :smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
In 1955 "Sam and Friends" began airing on WRC-TV, Washington DC. It is the 50th anniversary of Jim Henson's career in filmed puppetry. From a 2004 marketing standpoint the birthday of the marketable Muppets' would probally not be celebrated by The Muppet holding company until later.

Whatever

Reaction score
But Kermit WAS on Sam and Friends, so it's his birthday.

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Yes and the 30th Anniversary of the Muppets Special was in 1985. So it's the Muppets' 50th too.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Whatever said:
For The Muppet Holding Co. to celebrate somthing they would probally celebrate something they own (they don't have sam & friends). I think the next big Muppet celbration we would see would be the 30th Muppet Show anniversary (2006), The 25 Anniversary of the Muppet Movie (2004), ect. I'm not saying that the 50th of Sam and Friends is not important (because it is), but celebrating it is not likly from a marketing standpoint. It's allready to late for them to do much (like a special production, merchandise, ect) with out it allready being in production and ready for next year. I could be wrong, but it looks unlikely we'll see anything. When the had the 30th celebration it was more a celebration of Jim Henson (and all his work), but with his work now spread over three companies a celebration would be harder to pin-point who/what to celebrate. Also Kermit's did appear on Sam & Friends, but 1955 was not his birthday/creation-day.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The only group that would (or easily could) do something would be The Jim Henson Legacy to celebrate 50 years of Jim's career.

We will have the postage stamps coming in 2005, and the JHL may do a special event (like one of their weekend festivals of movies, TV shows, special, and guest speakers to celebrate the anniversary).

But don't expect commutative merchandise or a special production. With the rights spread all over 3+ companies it would be improper for one to do something and not the other (it is equally important for all; from Sesame to Kermit to the Fraggle), and if they were to do any products or productions they would have to be in the works now in order to be done for next year. Nothing special is being worked on, so I doubt we'll see any big explosion of anniversary stuff next year.

That does not mean nothing will happen in 2005, just nothing special for the anniversary. We have the postage stamps, Fraggle DVDs (and the 1st season set), other Henson productions DVDs, more action figures, and of course The Muppets Wizard of Oz.

Disney will show The Muppets Wizard of Oz as part of the Wonderful World of Disney. the Wonderful World of Disney usually has introductions to the film by stars and executives of Disney. They may use that time to mention that 50 years ago the Muppets began and a little bit about Jim.

But I doubt we’ll see anything big done about this celebration. Maybe the MHC will do something for the 30th of The Muppet Show in 2006 (maybe even season sets of the show on DVD). Since that is a celebration of something they own they can celebrate it easier than something speard between 3+ companies. It is a shame, but it look grim that any of these companies will focus on the anniversary of Jim’s first real apperance on television.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Whatever said:
That's right.

GelflingWaldo[color=black said:
But don't expect commutative merchandise or a special production. With the rights spread all over 3+ companies it would be improper for one to do something and not the other (it is equally important for all; from Sesame to Kermit to the Fraggle), and if they were to do any products or productions they would have to be in the works now in order to be done for next year. Nothing special is being worked on, so I doubt we'll see any big explosion of anniversary stuff next year.[/color]
My gosh, I never thought of that. Of course it was never so fragmented 20 years ago, was it?