New Talk Show: Late Night Buffet

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Forgive me if I sound thick-headed here, but why is Kermit's face there?

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
Probley lack of Idenity for new Show

I Can't wait till ........Later this week for More Details

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
AudiencesUnlimited should have the Kermit image switched out later today.

tomahawk

Reaction score
Got six tickets for the 8:30 show. Can't wait.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Tim said:
Even if it is true, I'm not impressed. I shot a pilot for a late-nighe talk show Dick Clark developed for a puppet character I did over 10 years ago. And ALF was successful with the same idea more recently. There have even been local puppet-hosted talk shows around for years.
I think this show sounds great. Yes, the idea of a puppet hosted talk show is not new (Kermit did it on Johnny Carson, ALF did his own show and there are a handful of others). But if the only thing that this show has going for it is the gimmick of being a puppet hosted talk show then it will fail. And I think Henson knows that. Why do people watch Leno, Letterman, O'Brien, Ferguson, Kimmel and the other talk shows? I mean, there have been hundreds of shows just like them – that's not real original. Yet people love them. This show will need to create its own comedic style, build great enduring characters and (just like the Muppets have) surpass being seen as just a novelty puppet act. Audiences need to love the characters and humor as much as they would Conan's or Letterman's – it can't just use a felt and foam host a ratings stunt – that will wear off if the characters and format fail. I think that if this show has the same kind of "magic" that the recent "Jim Henson Improv" had (except its talk show) then this will be great. I think this could be excellent and a classic (I've been hoping for a Henson created talk show for years).

I think that the key to its success really depends on how its marketed and perceived by the masses– whether it will be seen as an "adult puppet show" (thought to be vulgar or crude, something like Crank Yankers meets Howard Stern)--- or if it will be seen as too kiddie (thought to be only for people under the age of 10, something like Elmo meets Mikes Super Short Show) --- or if it will be seen as something in the middle (which given Henson's track record is what this sounds like, something like Johnny Fiama meets Jay Leno).

I'm very optimistic and very excited. I hope it does well and I can't wait to see it.

renegade

Reaction score
yep I'll be there at the 8 30 also Cant wait should be fun no matter what and if the jokes are bad just laugh really fake and loud the produces love that!

beaker

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
But check the second link (if it's working. If not, try hitting "refresh") It says that's it's Jim Henson Company, with new Muppet characters. Meaning, not the "Classic Muppets," but new characters entirely, that are not owned by Disney.
Edit: Yeah, what muppetperson said. (I've been ziffled.)
To EVERYONE except the Disney legal team, any non creature shop/fantasy puppt created by Henson company before or after the Disney buyout is considered a "Muppet"...be they Muppet Show, fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, Bear, or even Animal Jam. It's all Muppets. Otherwise Muppetcentral would no longer even talk about Sesame Street, Bear, or Fraggle Rock since they are all legally seperate.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
:confused:
beaker said:
To EVERYONE except the Disney legal team, any non creature shop/fantasy puppt created by Henson company before or after the Disney buyout is considered a "Muppet"...be they Muppet Show, fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, Bear, or even Animal Jam. It's all Muppets. Otherwise Muppetcentral would no longer even talk about Sesame Street, Bear, or Fraggle Rock since they are all legally seperate.
but "Bear" and the "Classic Muppets" (ie: kermit, piggy, gonzo) ARE Muppets. didnt Disney buy that word? Muppets? Muppet? :confused:

tomahawk

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
:confused:

but "Bear" and the "Classic Muppets" (ie: kermit, piggy, gonzo) ARE Muppets. didnt Disney buy that word? Muppets? Muppet? :confused:

Disney bought the rights to the Muppets and Bear characters. If the Henson company makes new characters outside of these two groups, Disney has no say.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, they bought the "Muppet" name, but come on...it's still Muppets even if they cant use the trademark name.

Are we going to say Fraggles and Sesame arent Muppets since they can't use that name anymore?

Anyways, very curious about this. Wish it was network tv tho.