1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

New Talk Show: Late Night Buffet

Discussion in 'Henson Alternative' started by TogetherAgain, Jun 6, 2006.

1. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Yeah to us they will be muppets. Legal terms mean nothing to us fans. Unless the Jim Henson Company goes in some crazy direction with their puppets, these too will likely look like and be muppets to us.

I have to say though that I do not see the story teller and creature shp stuff as being muppets. To me the muppets were the fraggle/sesame/muppet how like characters, even though legally they are separate licenses. But really it's the actual puppet style that makes them muppets more than anything. That and the people behind the scenes.
  2. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

It sounds interesting, and I hope it is a success!
  3. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

They can still use the name. Look at the Fraggle Rock DVDs (which still say "Jim Henson's Muppets") and Sesame Workshop still uses "Sesame Street Muppets" on almost everything. The Jim Henson Company (and Sesame Workshop) can't apply the term Muppet to any new creations (That's why it wasn't called "Jim Henson's Muppet Improv"), however all the old franchises (Fraggles, Sesame, Bear, Muppet Show, Emmet Otter, Dog City...) that had the Muppet title can still use the term Muppet. Disney does not exclusively own the word. However since "Muppet" is stronly associated with the Kermit and the other "Muppet Show"-family characters, Henson has been using it less and less on their new productions (even before the Disney deal).
  4. Tim

Tim Member

Magic? Excellent? Classic? Given Henson's recent "track record" are you serious? Put Frank Oz behind the desk and you might have something, otherwise it's going to crash andf burn like everyhting else they've done lately.
  5. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

puppet improve seems to be doing pretty well to me.
    and maybe if the fans would shed a little more postive light in the hensons direction perhaps they would have better things.:)
  6. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

This is a double-edged sword for me. I've been longing to see the Henson company do some strictly adult themed material since the days of the SNL Gorch sketches. But the thing is, I don't see their show succeeding.

Crank Yankers, Greg the Bunny and Wonder Showzen have all pushed the envelope as far as it can go, and have taken it so far that shock has been supplimented for humor, effectively ruining the medium of modern adult puppetry. So where is there for Brian Henson to take it?

While I love the mildly bawdy and brash attitude of Gorch, I would hate to see Brian resorting to the shock factor material that these others I've mentioned made their reputations on. But the thing is, sadly, if he wants to make this show stand out, he's going to have to raise the bar to even higher plateaus of lowbrow humor. It seems like a contradiction, but that's what he'd have to do.

I have no problem seeing the Henson name on a project like this. Ten years ago, it would have been a brilliant idea. But now, it's going to come across as a bandwagon jumper, when the bandwagon has long since left town. Not to mention the whole puppet talk show host thing was already done by Alf, and nobody's going to accuse that show of being a smash hit.

I truly do want to see Brian's show succeed, and I hope he can do it without resorting to Jimmy Kimmel levels of "humor." It just seems like the odds are stacked against him. Hopefully he's inherited his father's gift of proving the odds wrong and making a success out of the unlikely.
  7. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

They can be funny and not be shocking

unless there is a puppet that comes on and says the "Bush hates Muppets"
  8. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Whose performers are working on that project?
  9. JoeyMuppet

JoeyMuppet New Member

The same peformers who do Johnny Fiama & Sal.They're supposed to be the main peformers on the series.
  10. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

hahahahhaha

that would be great if it WAS Sal and Johnny doing the Show
  11. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

i know that! :attitude:
  12. Tim

Tim Member

Now I KNOW this is going to die a quick death. Year after year I see Jonny and Sal "improv" with "comic genius" Jerry Lewis on the Telethon in a talk show-like setting, and every year these segments drag on and on with out a single laugh. Lord know Jerry is NO Robin Williams, but every year it's still the same thing-crash and burn, crash and burn.

Oh, for the days of Jim, Frank and the REAL Johnny-Carson that is.
  13. cdawg

cdawg New Member

coming out of the woorwork to say I'm actually going to be in LA next weekend for a totally different event, was looking for something to do Sat night, and now I'm going with my best friend to go see it! I'm looking forward to seeing all of it.
  14. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

hmm well I hope you guys are on the list aka got your tickets for this show...because it's been sold out for some time.
    The things thats not cool is that I'm very torn between this show and going to the sandiago comicon. :(
  15. rurulesunc

rurulesunc New Member

Well if it turns out that anyone who has tickets cant go, please let me know. I am dying to go but the tix were sold out before I even found out about it. So if you want to pass on the tickets to a die-hard fan... I'm here for you. :)
  16. toughrabbit

toughrabbit New Member

This question is for those of you who were at the 8:30 show. Didn't you think that girl Kaitlin Olson was a huge bi-otch? I was apalled at the way she was talking to Peter the waiter and she just seemed really awful and rude and phony in general throughout her whole interview. I wanted to throw things at her.
  17. renegade

renegade Member

I Agree with you Toughrabbit , she was like ice queen out there , it was awful, and kinda hard to sit thru, and really who is she to be acting that way the cold hearted freak!!!!
  18. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

19. BradFraggle

BradFraggle Member

Status

So has this been officially picked-up yet? Will this actually be coming to TBS? Is it a dead pilot? Or is it still in limbo? What's the status of Late Night Buffet? And what are our chances of seeing it (and when)? What's the deal?
  20. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Current Status

Here's the latest word from Henson. I received this direct responce earlier today, so it is the most current word on the subject:

So the show is currently in consideration (not a "yes" from TBS, but not a "no" either)... If you want to see Late Night Buffet get picked up, be sure to let TBS know how you feel by sending your encouragement to tbsinfo@turner.com to help them know how you feel.