New Sesame Street Post Breakfast Cereals

dinoboy

Reaction score
I went to Shoprite and saw the new Sesame Street breakfast cereals. One box had an image of Big Bird on it and the other box had Grover on it. They were both made by Post, as the cereal contents are similar to Alphabits. Nothing but sugary crunchy letters of the alphabet, and Sesame Street is always encouraging healthy eating habits and such. So I would think that those cereals should have a more healthier content of something like fruit, raisins, cereal flakes, instead of the sugary letters.:wisdom::super:
Then while the child is eating healthy for breakfast, he/she would learn the alphabet and numbers by playing fun letter or number games on the back of the box. Just a thought

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I went to Shoprite and saw the new Sesame Street breakfast cereals. One box had an image of Big Bird on it and the other box had Grover on it. They were both made by Post, as the cereal contents are similar to Alphabits. Nothing but sugary crunchy letters of the alphabet, and Sesame Street is always encouraging healthy eating habits and such. So I would think that those cereals should have a more healthier content of something like fruit, raisins, cereal flakes, instead of the sugary letters.:wisdom::super:
Then while the child is eating healthy for breakfast, he/she would learn the alphabet and numbers by playing fun letter or number games on the back of the box. Just a thought
Actually, these are among the healthier packaged cereals.

Everything has some percentage of sugars and this has 1/10 the sugar of most brands (1/6 the sugar of Alphabits). My only objection is the BHT that nearly every US packaged food uses in their packaging. These are basically letter-shaped Cheerios comprised of oats and grains that parents should top with fresh fruit before serving.

Unfortunately, I can't have cereals due to an allergy to corn. :stick_out_tongue: Like Bert, I prefer oatmeal! :frown: I'm not aware of a Grover packaging. That fella on the right looks like Cookie Monster to me. :insatiable:

dinoboy

Reaction score
I really didn't get a closer look at the boxes, as I was in a hurry during my shopping, my mom always told me that the 2nd or third ingredient listed , which is sugar is what the cereal contains the most of. So basically this cereal tastes just like strawberry, banana or apple cheerios? Maybe they should've just promoted their characters onto packages of oatmeal with those flavors instead. But this is just my opinion.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I really didn't get a closer look at the boxes, as I was in a hurry during my shopping, my mom always told me that the 2nd or third ingredient listed , which is sugar is what the cereal contains the most of. So basically this cereal tastes just like strawberry, banana or apple cheerios? Maybe they should've just promoted their characters onto packages of oatmeal with those flavors instead. But this is just my opinion.
Eh. Everything has some degree of sugar in it and this has much, much less than the average cereal. These are nearly identical to standard Cherios so I don't see much need to complain. I do, however, support the idea of Bert Brand Oatmeal! :frown: That would be awesome! :stick_out_tongue: Oatmeal is really a better choice than any dry cereal on the market. I have a small cup of it mixed with vanilla almond milk, sweetened with organic honey and topped with fruit every morning. I can't imagine any kid not liking something that naturally sweet. :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Take it from someone who actually suffered through a box of Cookie Monster...

These things have the least amount of sugar in the history of cereal. They make Cheerios look like sugar frosted cubes of sugar coated sugar. In fact, I had to actually dump on the sugar just to taste the all too subtle flavor of Banana. Yep... they have the ingredients to make them taste like those flavors, but they're barely noticeable.

These cereals, if anything, are too healthy. They are formulated for preschoolers, sure... but they're in no way the 1970's- early 00's sugar rush breakfast cereals you're thinking of.

Sigh... cereals used to be fun. How come those generations weren't the ones with health issues.

Oh yeah. Computers promote sedentary lifestyles. Duh.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
These things have the least amount of sugar in the history of cereal. They make Cheerios look like sugar frosted cubes of sugar coated sugar. In fact, I had to actually dump on the sugar just to taste the all too subtle flavor of Banana. Yep... they have the ingredients to make them taste like those flavors, but they're barely noticeable.
From the looks of these cereals, they probably taste like the tree-shaped parts of Lucky Charms that's always avoided when your eating.

Drtooth

Reaction score
From the looks of these cereals, they probably taste like the tree-shaped parts of Lucky Charms that's always avoided when your eating.
Those have flavor. These don't.

They taste more like Cheerios with less sweetness. I relent that they're clearly formulated for toddlers, and they really shouldn't have much sugar. Still, it would have been nice if the Cookie cereal tasted like Banana without having to cut up bananas into the cereal.

And the boxes are huge. So you'll be eating them for a while.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
They could at least taste like Honey Nut Cheerios, those have lots of flavor.
(the cereal on the boxes pictured above look way more tasty then they sound. They strangely look cookie-dough flavored.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Trust me. The flavor and texture is like some unholy cross between Cheerios and Kix, both without any of their sugary notes that give them a pleasant enough flavor.

Sugar is an ingredient in the Sesame cereals, don't get me wrong, but somehow, it's like they take a big Olympic swimming pool sized vat and add a 1/4th measuring cup of sugar and not even fill it the full way.

Which is a shame, since the boxes are kinda cute.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I don't see why these cereals need to be made when you can just buy Cheerios. I guess it's because of the extremely mild fruity taste.