New Muppet Youtube videos

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's technically against copyright law to do anything with Muppet material without the owner's consent, other than for your own, personal use. I'm fairly certain that would include putting them on YouTube... though I suppose Statler and Waldorf gave "permission" by commenting on that Mahna Mahna video.

Unfortunately it's considered a copyright violation, hense why I used "quotation marks." I don't consider it's illegal as long as it's just a clip, and not a full episode.

Luke

Reaction score
It's technically against copyright law to do anything with Muppet material without the owner's consent, other than for your own, personal use. I'm fairly certain that would include putting them on YouTube...
Agreed, though fortunately it doesn't seem Disney are actively monitoring the Muppet clips and shows on there right now. It's in their best interests for there to be as much Muppet stuff as possible. I guess as new Muppet shows start to air and they start to do a lot more stuff with the Muppets the policy will probably change but in anyway, Disney aren't as heavy handed with Youtube as some other media companies - i've seen a lot of Hannah Montanna and HSM stuff on there.

I agree with Cory, this viral marketing is exactly how a lot of people said for years they should use to reintroduce and market the Muppets, it reaches all of us, nostalgic fans, and a whole new audience, without all the red tape and big production budgets needed with films and tv. It'd be cool if the Muppets did a live Q&A sometime on Muppets.com to promote a project or something, really make it interactive as well.

beaker

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's considered a copyright violation, hense why I used "quotation marks." I don't consider it's illegal as long as it's just a clip, and not a full episode.
Who cares if it is a full episode? Thank GOODNESS the full episode of Puppet Up Uncencored, Unedited Muppet Family Xmas, etc is on video google and ebay(along with Muppet Show Live from 2001)

Luke

Reaction score
I think it was said way back that it will only take one of these to catch on and they'll start some hype towards the characters again and thanks to Beau, Youtube, IMDB and a few other sites i think the Beaker one has done just that. It's being talked about all over the internet - all the videos were great but i think the Beaker one just hit on the right elements really. I hope they will back it up with even more now, they need another "hit", i hope they don't just stick to musical numbers but it needs to be something self contained, some kinda joke rather than a general Muppet skit ... maybe have Gonzo attempt a world record on the internet or something. That would get people talkin and maybe some publicity.

Rugby

Reaction score
Tagging thread for later. Are these official or knock off muppets?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
From article: The Muppets never really needed to adapt to the Web in the first place: Their oldest sketches meet the same criteria that help propel a viral video today: short, instantly accessible, diverting, catchy. They were Web stars decades before the thing was invented.
I think I said that earlier in this thread. These remind me of the Muppets old stuff.

Interesting article. I don't know that I agree with all of it, but interesting.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Beaker.

Beaker is the #1 channel subscribed this month on YouTube.

NUMBER ONE.

Statler and Waldorf are #11, The Swedish Chef is #14, and Gonzo is #15. Amazing. A-MAZING! ! !

D'is is a GOOD thing, hokay! :excited:

SgtGonzoPepper

Reaction score
I've literally been sent that video with Beaker 13 times this week, because my friends know I love Muppets. It's really taking off. This shows off the power of promotion on the internet.