New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds a lot like the 2006 script. Also sounds a bit like the 2011 movie, but I'm not worried. The show is in good hands.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, I mean why would they release more plot if they did not want this to air this on the channel.

Last edited:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well, I mean why would they release more plot if they did not want this to air sson on the channel.
That doesn't mean anything. People at the studio release info about pilots all the time. Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for it to get picked up, but it isn't definite. Yet.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So it is a single camera comedy which means no laugh track, I guess that is what is in style now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So it is a single camera comedy which means no laugh track, I guess that is what is in style now.
Not all single camera comedies forego laugh tracks: just look at practically every single sitcom produced between the years 1957 and 1971.

The Muppets wouldn't work in a multi-camera audience setup: puppetry can be really technical, it can take multiple takes for us just to watch a rod-hand character grab and hold an object, or seeing a character sitting atop of something then get up from where they're sitting and move on. Audiences aren't going to want to sit through all the different takes and setups it would take for the characters to work within their settings, it would disrupt the flow of the performances for the audience, since most multi-camera audience shows are filmed/taped almost like a stage play from beginning to end, whereas single camera shows with laugh tracks offer producers the ease of being able to shoot different takes throughout the week of production.

That said, I too am tired of all these ghastly laugh-free "sitcoms", you can't even tell they're sitcoms, and while the mockumentary style works well for film (Christopher Guest films, basically), it feels odd and out of place for weekly comedy series.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same that it seems like an odd choice for a weekly show, but if ABC, and Disney are willing to give this A try, then so am I.

beaker

Reaction score
More I hear about this, more excited I get. I LOVVVVED the "Muppets Drive" series last year(would totally buy it on dvd), which was kind of in that single camera vein. But Muppets meets Curb Your Enthusiasm vibe = amazingly perfect for the time period. Sounds like it could be pretty meta