New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hadn't heard that one, but yes, back in 2006, Disney was supposedly filming a pilot for a new Muppet show that was supposed to follow the mockumentary style of storytelling ala THE OFFICE in having Kermit reunite the Muppets to put on a new show -- and it got shelved.

Then in 2007 or so, Disney was supposedly working on a new Halloween special with the Muppets, and it too got shelved.

There were a number of projects Disney started work on, only for them to end up getting shelved, so it's understandable to doubt word of an upcoming project: I waited for THE MUPPETS (2011) to actually come out before I actually put any faith in Disney regarding the Muppets, and then we got MMW, now we've got other projects coming out too, so it's safe to say that Disney seems to finally struck a chord with the Muppets to continue to utilize them to some potential. I'm not saying there isn't a chance that this too will be shelved, but considering how it's taken all these years for Disney to fulfill promises to us, I think the chances of this being shelved are a lot slimmer now than they were had they announced this pilot ten years ago.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Hadn't heard that one, but yes, back in 2006, Disney was supposedly filming a pilot for a new Muppet show that was supposed to follow the mockumentary style of storytelling ala THE OFFICE in having Kermit reunite the Muppets to put on a new show -- and it got shelved.

Then in 2007 or so, Disney was supposedly working on a new Halloween special with the Muppets, and it too got shelved.

There were a number of projects Disney started work on, only for them to end up getting shelved, so it's understandable to doubt word of an upcoming project: I waited for THE MUPPETS (2011) to actually come out before I actually put any faith in Disney regarding the Muppets, and then we got MMW, now we've got other projects coming out too, so it's safe to say that Disney seems to finally struck a chord with the Muppets to continue to utilize them to some potential. I'm not saying there isn't a chance that this too will be shelved, but considering how it's taken all these years for Disney to fulfill promises to us, I think the chances of this being shelved are a lot slimmer now than they were had they announced this pilot ten years ago.
well I still doubt this will happen , but anyway they were going to do some kind show that had Muppet's living next door to someone , and it took place in palm springs and that it was not going to be Kermit and company . it was going to have some whatnot type Muppets. by the way, I hope that abc do not cancel the middle. I like that show .

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
This brings up another question for everyone: which characters would work the best in this new Muppet Show reboot? Who would have bigger roles, and who would be seen less often? Personally, I'd love to see more of the Electric Mayhem (aside from Animal), Sam the Eagle, Rowlf, and Scooter.
Droop, Mildred, and Beautiful Day Monster. The Muppets are almost always happy, so it could be nice to see a depressed guy there, so Droop could do. Mildred Huxtetter could work as another female lead like Miss Piggy, and maybe could even take the role of Hilda in Season One. Beautiful Day Monster is one of my favorite characters, he could work as a stagehand.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with you completely. This new show should be more of its own thing, rather than trying to capture the lightning in a bottle of The Muppet Show.
MT is a good example of what worked and what didn't. Trying to copy TMS with different characters was the thing that didn't work. Heck, trying to copy Arsenio Hall (years after he was cancelled) didn't work. The interview stuff felt completely awkward and out of place. What did work was when they finally had character driven plotlines. You know, just as the show ended. One could only imagine had the show gone further what they could have done.

I really hope that they learn the mistakes from that series if a pilot is happening. No in name only sketch continuations like Deep Dish 9 was.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
MT is a good example of what worked and what didn't. Trying to copy TMS with different characters was the thing that didn't work. Heck, trying to copy Arsenio Hall (years after he was cancelled) didn't work. The interview stuff felt completely awkward and out of place. What did work was when they finally had character driven plotlines. You know, just as the show ended. One could only imagine had the show gone further what they could have done.

I really hope that they learn the mistakes from that series if a pilot is happening. No in name only sketch continuations like Deep Dish 9 was.
Muppets Tonight/Henson Hour
What worked:
  • Sketch comedy format
  • Mostly strong direction
  • Behind the scenes antics
  • Inclusion of Kermit as the frog in charge
  • Musical numbers
  • New Muppets

Muppets Tonight/Henson Hour
What didn't work:
  • Humor was often hit-or-miss (particularly from some of the newer MT writers)
  • Inconsistent chemistry among the Muppet cast
  • Clifford took over Kermit's job in MT. That's a non-starter
  • New Muppets took too much time from classic Muppets. Clifford is a beautiful puppet with a wonderful performer, but he's a dull character.
  • The lack of Electric Mayhem. They ARE the Muppet house band - always
  • Trying to replace Bunsen and Beaker (with Tales from the Vet and Digit)
  • Bad time slots!

Last edited:

Muppet Master

Reaction score

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Add a mixture of the muppet show and the good episodes of muppets tonight and we'll be fine

Drtooth

Reaction score
  • Clifford took over Kermit's job in MT. That's a non-starter
  • New Muppets took too much time from classic Muppets. Clifford is a beautiful puppet with a wonderful performer, but he's a dull character.
  • The lack of Electric Mayhem. They ARE the Muppet house band - always
  • Trying to replace Bunsen and Beaker (with Tales from the Vet and Digit)
I never really understood why they had to reintroduce Kermit so slowly. Well, other than the fact it was obvious Steve wasn't really comfortable as Kermit for a little while. There were bits in MT where he pretty much got him (only to lose him again in the following movie). But I don't think we really got Kermit back until VMX. I really get that JHH was all about Henson transitioning away from traditional Muppets. Almost like Solid Foam and Digit were the inbetween of Muppet and Creature Shop. I like what they did with the format, but it was too raw and underdeveloped.

Other than that, I blame a lot of the lack of familiar faces in MT on not yet recasting the characters. I'm sure they could have gotten away with the Mayhem as silent background performers in a musical number. But only Zoot (the one that rarely talks) and Floyd would have been able to say anything. I'm glad that we have recasts for most of the classic characters by now. That frees them up for more usage in the future. Seems now, between the Muppets and Sesame Street, especially Sesame Street, we're seeing understudy performers if anyone leaves or passes on. Look how fast we got the Count back. We didn't even need to wait a season.