New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree. Sequels get a bad reputation. Not all of them fizzle out. Toy Story 3 and Kung Fu Panda 2 are great sequels! So are The Dark Knight, The Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2, Aliens, Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade, X-Men 2, Hellboy 2, The Great Muppet Caper, Die Hard 2, Evil Dead 2, Blade 2, Spider-man 2, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter sequels and any number of Bond films. Not to mention that the next Muppet movie isn't technically a sequel. :smile:
It's just lazy to criticize sequels and paint them all with a brush. There are great follow ups, and Hangover 2's that just recap the same movie in a different location with a couple new characters.

Dark Knight clobbered Batman Begins in the box office. It's a far superior movie, sure... but for box office cash value, it completely eclipsed the first film. If only they made a sequel to Superman Returns... I'm sure we'd have a strong Superman franchise by now.

As for family films, sequels actually do quite well, otherwise we wouldn't see 3 and 4 of them. Shrek had 4 films! If the second one flopped, that would be it. Most of the big family films have too many sequels, if anything.

And there's something else a sequel brings when they didn't realize how much of a success the first film was. More merchandising. Fox didn't have that much faith in the first Chipmunks movie, and there wasn't much of a merchandising presence when the film became a shocking hit. By the time the second film rolled around, there were plush toys, fruit snacks, kid's meal promotions... same deal with Madagascar. We're on the third movie now, and we have Kraft Mac and Cheese shaped like them. That's a market presence.

So when Muppets 2 comes out, we'll see all the merchandise we wanted to see for the first one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's just lazy to criticize sequels and paint them all with a brush.
I think the good sequels are rare exceptions to the rule. Welcome exceptions sure, but not in any way normal, lol. :smile:

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I was really nervous about this being without Jason, (And I still kind of am,) but know that Nick Stoller and James Bobin will do a great job writing the script. Hey did anyone notice that Stoller looks like Statler :boo: and Bobin looks like Bobo? Hmmmm.... :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the good sequels are rare exceptions to the rule. Welcome exceptions sure, but not in any way normal, lol. :smile:
Who says good sequels? The goal is a profitable sequel. There are definitely good sequels out there, though. They're not all that rare, just outnumbered by films that don't need one.

Still, I know the feeling of seeing a film on TV or something because I missed it and enjoying it so much, I kick myself for not seeing it in theaters, and want to go opening weekened of the next one. So the second Muppet film could very well benefit from those too skeptical to see it in theaters, but liked seeing it on DVD.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I just know I was very excited when The Muppets came out because this was the first muppet movie I was actually able to see on the big screen. I unfortunately never saw the original three in theaters because I wasn't born yet when the first two came out and only a year old when MTM opened. I was only able to see them on tv. So I am so excited that I'll be getting a chance to see another Muppet movie on the big screen next year. :smile:

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I'm all happy that the latest movie's done so well, and that another one is on the way. But I can't help wonder how they're going to promote the next one. They'll have to think of something bigger, more elaborate. I mean, look at the first teaser trailer that came out in May of last year. That, to me was genius. Then after that, we had a Hangover 2 parody, a Green Lantern parody, a Dragon Tattoo parody...basically parody after parody after parody, it got to the point where it was all too predictable, I kept thinking that the next trailer will go like: "The Muppets derp de derp. Derp de derpity derpy derp. Until one day, the derpa derpa derpaderp. Derp de derp, da teedily dumb. Starring Der, and Tum Ta Tittaly Tum Ta Too, The Muppets Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb. Rated PG." :stick_out_tongue:

But yeah, they have to come up with something brilliant. Maybe have they could have Disneyland "Muppet-ized" for a week or so, like they originally planned to when the Disney/Henson deal was underway.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
I love the format of the first half having a plot,
followed by a " Muppet Show" at the end of the film.
Like in the Muppets and Muppets take Manhattan.

And PLEASE bring out more Muppet merchandise before the film release this time. Seeing those in shops is just as good advertisement for the movie, as seeing a trailer or poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.