New Muppet Central Site Design

anathema

Reaction score
Sounds like you could be having trouble with the intro - some mac users have reported getting a black screen. For now check out this page: http://www.muppetcentral.com/frontpage.shtml Check and see if that works for you.
I can get past that bit, thanks. However, since I don't have Flash, I can't see the menubar, so navigation is limited to the links at the bottom of the page :-( Any chance of a non-Flash menubar being provided? It could appear if the browser doesn't have Flash installed, or alternatively it could be in addition to it. Come to think of it, didn't the original menu buttons appear down the side of most pages?

Incidentally, I notice that the main page now lays itself out in a fairly narrow column in the center of the display, rather than occupying the full width. Since I'm running at 1600x1200, this results in a lot of wasted screen area! Why the change?

As you've probably guessed, I'm not a Flash fan :smile: I regard it as about the stupidest thing ever to appear on the Web (with Java/Javascript being a close second). Far too many sites use it because it's 'kewl' without much thought as to useability. I find henson.com to be more trouble than it's worth since they switched over to Flash, and the Disney Channel's website beggars belief. I do appreciate the amount of work you've put into this facelift, and it does look nice. But please consider those of us who either can't or choose not to use these features! I use Opera for browsing when I'm forced to use Windows, and IBrowse at all other times. Opera allows me to disable many of the features which are routinely abused by advertisers, but unfortunately there's no way to distinguish between legitimate content and garbage, so I often find myself staring at a blank screen, or wondering why nothing happened when I clicked on a link! IBrowse simply does not support Flash, and I doubt I'd install the plugin even if it did.

Anyway, rant over :smile:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Yeah Jamie, I think you might want to make a low bandwith or at least a nonFlash version of the site for those who aren't able to view whats here now. Or maybe you could just relink the original site and make that your low band, being that obviously worked for everyone. Just thoughts though. :smile:

-Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The content is rather slick and formatted around the content bar. Much of it was designed on my 1600 x 1024 widescreen and it looks fine to me. The content is 800 pixels wide and limiting the width offers a designer more control over the layout. The Internet is still in its infancy and there are many formats, but it is a growing trend for an artist to limit the palette.

Programming Flash-only versions of websites has become a convention in the last few years and we have gone along with it. And with the popularity of Flash MX, it's not going away any time soon. This site really might change your view about Flash. It is rather understated. Very few people do not have the plug in these days and those who don't have made that choice. There should be no real bandwidth concern as the menus have loaders and the file sizes are remarkably small.

It's not about the tools; it's about the end product. We have no immediate plans for an alternate version, but your concern is noted. Wish you could see it.

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Jamie

I agree with you that there's pretty much no need for a non-flash version being as Flash is pretty standard nowdays, but i think it'd be a good idea if you tested if the user has Flash installed, on the main index page and divert them to a 'you need flash' page if not - right now it just goes to black and i'm sure it'd be better to tell people and provide a link to where they can download the flash player.

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Luke

Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
Keep hitting refresh-- the penguin will come
That kinda sounds phrophetic - i will eagerly hit refresh until the Penguin flashes me !

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Re: Re: Luke

Originally posted by Luke
That kinda sounds phrophetic - i will eagerly hit refresh until the Penguin flashes me !
Whoa! Now there's a double-entendre for ya! :wink:

The site looks fantastic! And Jamie, you're gonna get all of us obsessed with finding every single character you've put in (I've already found Scooter, by the way)! Excellent job, everyone who worked on it!

-Kim

Joggy

Reaction score
A question...

When I checked last night, the Flash site worked perfectly and looked terrific. Now it suddenly doesn't work anymore on my computer. What's up with that?

juliette

Reaction score
As someone who has 28.8 dialup at home (I can't afford more) and has been discouraged from installing plug-ins at work, I'm sorry I won't be able to visit Muppet Central anymore.

I understand you all put a lot of work into the site and that it apparently looks gorgeous, but NOT everyone has superfast connections, not everyone can use Flash. This has been my biggest complaint about the Sesame Workshop site, too. Sesame Street was supposed to reach out to a variety of kids in a variety of demographics and income ranges, but now their Web site doesn't work unless you have the latest bells and whistles.

Is it that much trouble to funnel some of the content into a low-res format? Is style really more important than content and accessibility?

If your primary goal is to create a cool-looking site, that's great. But if your goal was to share with as large a community of Muppet fans as possible, I think you may have failed.

I'm sorry to rant, but I'm pretty disappointed.