New Generation of Fantasy Films?!

Fiery Princess

Reaction score
Am I losing it to think that the Henson "powers that are" should get together and make another fantasy film...similar to Dark Crystal and Labyrinth....for the new generation to relate to? I feel like they are missing SO much!! The originals are wonderful and will never be replaced, but with today's technology and creative minds, who knows what could happen?!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fiery Princess
Am I losing it to think that the Henson "powers that are" should get together and make another fantasy film...similar to Dark Crystal and Labyrinth....for the new generation to relate to? I feel like they are missing SO much!! The originals are wonderful and will never be replaced, but with today's technology and creative minds, who knows what could happen?!
Oh you are totally right! Someone even mentioned this in another thread(I think it was chilly Down under Wish List)
With LOTR 1&2, Harry Potter 1&2, Spirited Away, etc that 'Never Ending Story/Willow' etc 80's fantasy revival is in full swing.

I think the original innovators JHC Creature Shop would make a masterpiece. So far recently its just been work for other films(Cats and Dogs, Harry Potter, Brotherhood of the Wolf)

I personally have an idea for a JHC Creature fantasy film that could really push the idea and effects envelope.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Cory's mind is brewing ideas again. Can't wait to hear it! :smile:

I do hope the Creature Shop gets in on this fantasy craze before studios aren't willing to buy those kinds of scripts again for a while. I think a well-done sequel would be worthwhile, but most here disagree with me (see the "Do you think they should make a Labyrinth 2?" thread). If no sequel, then I'd be happy for the Shop to give us a fantasy movie with new characters and situations.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Cory's mind is brewing ideas again. Can't wait to hear it! :smile:

I do hope the Creature Shop gets in on this fantasy craze before studios aren't willing to buy those kinds of scripts again for a while. I think a well-done sequel would be worthwhile, but most here disagree with me (see the "Do you think they should make a Labyrinth 2?" thread). If no sequel, then I'd be happy for the Shop to give us a fantasy movie with new characters and situations.
I truly feel the time is ripe, with a great script, for the possibility of JHC Creature Shop being green lighted to make the first JHC fantasy film in gosh...almost 17 years.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
To me, LABYRINTH leaves no room for a sequel.
DARK CRYSTAL, on the other hand...

What'd be even better, though, is to bring back the whole STORYTELLER concept. Oohhhh ... and cast Christopher Walken :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Love the Christopher Walken idea. Wow!

But I do take issue with the idea that Labyrinth left no room for a sequel. Different teenager, different Goblin King (or Queen - Cyndi Lauper would be my choice :smile: See Labyrinth2 thread.) and there you have it. There was much to that world to explore that went untapped. I see a lot of potential, but the original film didn't do well at the box office.

Fantasy pictures seldom make money. They are a hard sell. That and thief pictures. My several years in film school taught me that. Yeah, there are exceptions, and no real absolute, but on average I have found it to be true. The only sure-fire (eventual) money makers are horror flicks and "blue movies":wink: . They have a great shelf life. People always want to be scared and titillated. (Can't believe I actually used that word. LOL! They will usually recoup their cost faster than another genre of film that doesn't initially perform at the box office. But that is film history now. With more expensive special effects, the rules have probably changed.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
<B>Different teenager, different Goblin King (or Queen - Cyndi Lauper would be my choice</B>
Hmmm ... Perhaps.
As for Cyndi Lauper ... look at HOME ALONE 3. No Macaulay Culkin. No Joe Pesci. No Daniel Stern. Same concept as before, but without the flair -- notably the great comedic acting of Pesci & Stern -- that really carried the first two along. If L2 "is" made, the Goblin King should be played by David Bowie.
But DARK CRYSTAL 2 would absolutely work. To me, DARK CRYSTAL is like Henson's unique -- and somewhat obscure -- take on LORD OF THE RINGS.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think a prequel of the Dark Crystal would be the best idea. I felt the end tied everything up so I wouldn't want to muck that up.

The stars of Labyrinth are the creatures and the music. Jennifer Connelly is not important. She was good, but not crucial. I would love to see Bowie back, but I think a Goblin Queen would put a fun spin on things. Hey, maybe they both could be in it. I wouldn't mind hearing them sing together. I don't think either of them would object.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4

Fantasy pictures seldom make money. They are a hard sell.
Yeah, as LOTR 1&2, and Harry Potter 1&2 didnt do to well at the box office:wink:

It's funny you guys should mention a Dark Crystal prequel/sequel. When the Muppet online thing really started to take shape 4 years back, it was widely reported almost as official than Brian Henson announced JHC CS would begin pre production on a Dark Crystal prequel. Of course it would prove untrue...but it was that rare time when hope for a new JHC CS film seemed like a possibility.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Cory

Did you read my post or are you on some sort of rant? I know that Harry and LOTR have done well.
Originally posted by frogboy4
Fantasy pictures seldom make money. They are a hard sell. That and thief pictures. My several years in film school taught me that. Yeah, there are exceptions, and no real absolute, but on average I have found it to be true...But that is film history now. With more expensive special effects, the rules have probably changed.
The idea was that fantasy films are a gamble. Even the high profile ones we remember today: Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Willow, Legend and countless others didn't perform well at the box office. That's why companies are reluctant to invest in these films. Harry Potter already had an enormous following with it's books (fantasy books do well with children) and Lord of the rings is a classic book series that young and old know about. These were projects with a built-in audience - and they were still gambles, but investors knew they were putting into a likely franchise. Hopefully it will open the door to fresh projects without literary ties. Don't get me wrong, they are great films. But I would like to see something brand new as well. Bottom Line: Fantasy films have historically been a bigger gamble than other genres. Partly because of cost - and when they flop, they flop big.

With the Sci Fi channel's growing popularity, it appears that there are more openings for cable miniseries and projects in the fantasy realm. A lot safer than higher profile film. Interesting developments - especially with Spielberg's recent Sci-fi hit Taken.