New editions of DC and Labyrinth on DVD in March

Chilly Down

Reaction score
According to DVD Talk, at the link below:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bargain.php

"Superbit" editions of Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are due out on DVD March 4...the same day as two more volumes of TMS, courtesy of Columbia TriStar.

Sounds cool -- but does anyone have any idea what "Superbit" means? There's no more information about these particular discs. Has anyone else gotten a "Superbit" edition of another movie from Columbia TriStar?

P.S. Let's write Columbia TriStar and request two key things missing from the otherwise great Labyrinth DVD -- the original theatrical trailers, and the ultra-rare music videos for "Underground" and "When the World Falls Down"!

edible eye

Reaction score
The superbit dvd's are supposed to give you an even clearer image and brighter colors and all that and better sound. That doesn't mean much to me since I don't have a real expensive entertainment system. (I couldn't see much difference between a vhs and a dvd on my TV).

As for the two Bowie Videos, that is a great idea. You can see them on "the best of bowie" dvd set for now at least.:smile:

GWGumby

Reaction score
The "Superbit" collection supposedly sacrifices all the extras from off of DVDs to concentrate its full capacity to encoding the film at the highest quality level as well as all the best quality sound.

It's meant for video- and audio-philes who spend a lot of money on high definition TVs and surround sound systems who want super clear picture and really great sound.

Personally, I'd rather have the extras. Those documentaries are what make the DVD versions so great.

beaker

Reaction score
Well, because Dark Crystal was filmed in the early 80's, superbit(ie: ZERO extras, poo) wont make much difference. Ive seen 5th Element on suberbit dvd format, and yeah its a little clearer. But dvds are pretty darn clear, and ya just cant beat extras. Sadly most dvds these days are pretty much standard issue "Special Features Include the trailer, chapter index, and...well thats about it, but isnt that cool enough folks?" dvds.

And ack, I gotta get that Bowie double dvd video thing. I swear he's got some of the most avant garde music videos ever on there.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
ultra-rare music videos for "Underground" and "When the World Falls Down"!
Are these Labyrinth related?

edible eye

Reaction score
yes

Yes, those david bowie music videos are Labyrinth related. They were songs in the movie. I like the "Underground" video better, the girl in the "As the world falls down" video doesn't look enough like Jennifer Connely, heck, I look more like Jen than that.:big_grin:

scarecroe

Reaction score
See that? I apparently never paid attention to the names of the songs in Labyrinth. I should like to check out those videos as my interest in Bowie has grown of late. Especially since Philip Glass used two of his and Brian Eno's albums as the basis for two contemporary symphonies.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
See that? I apparently never paid attention to the names of the songs in Labyrinth. I should like to check out those videos as my interest in Bowie has grown of late. Especially since Philip Glass used two of his and Brian Eno's albums as the basis for two contemporary symphonies.
Would that be Low and Heroes Scott? Somehow Bowie, Eno, Phillip Glass...heck Bryan Ferry, Iggy, and Peter Gabriel all go hand in hand in that art rock avant garde performer thing.