New classic Muppet fan group!

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

Just wanted to say, thanks again for the warm welcome. I also wanted to let you know that I have my own classic pre-Jim Henson's death Muppets fan page on Yahoo Groups. Its called "Classic Muppet Mania!" and the address is:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicmuppetmania/

Come on in, and have fun. Sorry about the Moderator Approval thing guys; its just that I've had enough of spammers and trolls since 2004 to last me the rest of my life. And believe me, I've met some real kooks in the trolls department (shudders).

muppetperson

Reaction score
Great that you have got a new Muppet website but dissapointing that you dont welcome The Muppets pro Jim Henson's death.I know the Muppets are Jim Henson's legacy and it is nice to remember his work, but to end the Muppets when Jim died would be a double tragedy,and it would be nicer to respect the characters and the people that are keeping them alive.

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
I do respect the characters, its just how they have they have been portrayed since Jim's death that I have a problem with. Such films as "Muppets Treasure Island" and "Muppets from Space" clearly show that the people who worked on those films know diddly-squat about the characters. I mean, now Kermit has a bad attitude towards Miss Piggy (the Kermit I grew up on was meek and mild-mannered, and would never dare diss Miss Piggy for fear of her karate-chopping him)? And Fozzie Bear is now, more often than not, being portrayed as a total moron, like in the movies I mentioned above? Fozzie is a comedian, not an idiot. I just prefer the classic Muppet works rather than the new stuff, because, like I said, clearly the people working on such films as the two mentioned above know nothing about the great characters Jim created, thats all.

Patricia/cherrypotion

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
I do respect the characters, its just how they have they have been portrayed since Jim's death that I have a problem with. Such films as "Muppets Treasure Island" and "Muppets from Space" clearly show that the people who worked on those films know diddly-squat about the characters. I mean, now Kermit has a bad attitude towards Miss Piggy (the Kermit I grew up on was meek and mild-mannered, and would never dare diss Miss Piggy for fear of her karate-chopping him)? And Fozzie Bear is now, more often than not, being portrayed as a total moron, like in the movies I mentioned above? Fozzie is a comedian, not an idiot. I just prefer the classic Muppet works rather than the new stuff, because, like I said, clearly the people working on such films as the two mentioned above know nothing about the great characters Jim created, thats all.

Patricia/cherrypotion
Let's break this down a bit into more digestiable bits, shall we?

cherrypotion said:
Such films as "Muppets Treasure Island" and "Muppets from Space" clearly show that the people who worked on those films know diddly-squat about the characters.
So...Steve Whitmire, Frank Oz, Dave Golez, and Kevin Clash know nothing about the characters? ...They'd been with Jim Henson and had worked beside him for at the least (Kevin Clash being the earilest that I can find) 1979? Seems they probably knew a good bit about the characters I would think.

cherrypotion said:
I mean, now Kermit has a bad attitude towards Miss Piggy (the Kermit I grew up on was meek and mild-mannered, and would never dare diss Miss Piggy for fear of her karate-chopping him)?
All I have to say is this: Apperently you've not seen "The Muppet Show" lately. I own TMS: Season 1, and he's pretty snarky, slightly under-handed....to my knowledge, not "meek and mild-mannered". Although he's been a bit more crotchety in recent years; and has made more direct confrontations, especially on live bits. So that has changed of course.

cherrypotion said:
And Fozzie Bear is now, more often than not, being portrayed as a total moron, like in the movies I mentioned above? Fozzie is a comedian, not an idiot.
And he's never been an idiot, nor has he been a moron. If you're going only on MTI, yes; he was portrayed as a moron in that movie. But that was merely as a role, not as canon or "real-life" Fozzie Bear! He's more of a "physical" comedian then a straight-up joke teller, and that inevitablely leads to a slightly more idiot-like tendencys. I mean...wouldn't anyone look like an idiot if they accidently went through a "tree sprayer service" and came out the other side green?? Even though they were running away from somebody chasing them?

Think about that for a bit, cherrypotion.

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
Look, I'm sorry if I seem to be ragging on the post-Jim's death Muppet movies, but I just don't like the way the classic characters were portrayed in those movies. I mean no offense to the actors, and yes, I was referring to MTI in regards to Fozzie, but with him I was leaning more towards the way he was portrayed in MFS. I mean, taking a shower wearing a raincoat and freaking out when Animal opened the shower door, as if Fozzie was naked or something? And then the "nose-picking" scene later on? And Kermit has changed: he's gone from a character who tolerated Miss Piggy and would never have dared to diss her, to calling her "fatso", amongst other things?:frown: :frown:

Besides, why are some people on this site trying to force me to like something I don't like? Aren't I entitled to my own opinions? Trying to get me to like something I don't is as bad as if I tried to force my choice of religion on others. But I would never do that. So please, if you don't agree with my opinions, fine. No one's twisting your arms to force you to join my group. If you don't like my opinions or my group, thats okay. Then just don't join my group.

Patricia/cherrypotion

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
the Kermit I grew up on was meek and mild-mannered, and would never dare diss Miss Piggy for fear of her karate-chopping him
Also, going off Renee's post, let me cite examples:

The Great Muppet Caper: Kermit tells Piggy she's overacting and they get into a big fight.
The Muppets Take Manhattan: Kermit yells at Piggy for spying on him.

And Kermit might be usually mild-mannered (but working with the Muppets has got to try a frog's patience), he's never been meek. Meek is shying away. Kermit never shies.

I love the old stuff, but I also love a lot of the new stuff. And I trust the characters and the Muppeteers more than I trust Disney--meaning that Disney might put together some terrible thing for the Muppets to do (coughmwoocough) but the Muppeteers know who those characters are and that transcends a bad sitch.

The most wonderful thing about what Jim Henson did is that, to quote Stephen Lynch, even though he's "dead and gone... the Muppets will live on and Kermit's still hot cause it's still not easy being green." Jim died, but he really didn't, because we still have Kermit and co, and not just memories or old productions, but this living, constantly changing thing.

*steps off the well-worn soapbox so many of us tend to use*

EDIT: I don't think anyone's trying to force you to like things you don't; we're just having a conversation. If you state your opinion, other people have the right to state theirs, even if it's different. Especially if it's different. I would never force anyone to believe what I believe; I'm just showing you the way I see it! :smile:

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
(sighs) Really beginning to feel like I did when I lived in the family home, guys: like I'm not allowed to have my own opinions and like I have to be something I'm not to please others :frown: :frown: . Look, I'm not trying to force my religious beliefs (Wicca/Paganism) on anyone, so why are people here trying to force their likes and dislikes on me? Like I said in my last message, aren't I entitled to my own opinions? Its beginning to look like the answer is no, just like in the family home. If you guys like the newer Muppet movies, fine, but I don't, and I have a right to decide what I like and don't like. Phillip, if you are out there reading this, lets close this thread please? If everyone hates my group and my opinions, thats okay. Like I said, no one is twisting your arm to make you join my group, okay?

Patricia/cherrypotion

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I'm really sorry that you feel like you're being attacked because I don't think it was anyone's intention to do so. You are most definitely allowed to have your own opinion and I can only speak for myself, but I was just sharing my opinion with you on the way I see things. We all have different opinions and that's what makes conversation so great--it's varied. I hate Pepe with a burning passion and I'm sure there's a lot of people who would like to hit me over the head with baseball bats for saying so, but they won't, because I can totally hate him if I want to. And I do. I really, really do. Hehe.

So again, I'm really sorry that you took my words the wrong way. I don't want to make anyone feel persecuted at all. When you say "I don't like Kermit post-Jim," I can say, I understand, but I disagree and here's how I see it. I don't want you to feel upset about this, especially being new to the forum. Everyone here is very welcoming and we all feel strongly about the Muppets (duh) but mostly manage to converse in friendly terms even when we disagree. Or at least that's how I've found it.

Here's a Red for good cheer :excited: because this is really just a friendly conversation.

cherrypotion27

Reaction score
Thank you Sarah. I'm sorry I took things the wrong way. Truth be known, I don't like Pepe either (grins).

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Haha no prob. We can ban together against the Pepe-lovers and say "We just don't like him!" I mean, he really is just the most annoying thing ever.