Need help finding Jim Henson looking in mirror with Kermit in the reflection picture

Monica1013

Reaction score
Hi!

I have been trying to find a picture that I see in the beginning of all the Time Life Muppet video collection of Jim looking over his shoulder into a "mirror", the reflection in which is Kermit. Does anyone know where I could find a photo or poster of this, or even a digital image online?
My whole family loves the Muppets & I really would love to get a copy of this picture for them.
I really appreciate any help! :smile:
Thanks!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi. Not sure about a photo or poster but in the book jim Henson the works there is a full page of that image!

Chris

Dearth

Reaction score
The book is a weird shape to scan, so I had to do it in two pieces and then reassemble them. I also painted out the page number, which was inside a six-petaled flower shape.

In the original book, it's slightly crooked and oddly cropped, so this is about the best I can do with that source.

Now that I really study the image, I see a problem with it. The characters aren't actually 'connecting'.

I can think of a couple of ways this image might have been achieved. One would be as a hybrid photo, another would be done all in-camera with the mirror's angle cheated. The most complicated, third option, would be to build two rooms and there's no real mirror.

I don't think it was the third, because Jim would have simply looked straight through the empty frame or clear glass, directly at the Kermit puppet. But if you look at his eyes, you can see that Jim was looking at his own reflection, so his eyeline is off.

If it was the second method, the cheated-angle trick, the photographer should have caught it, and Jim could have simply looked the puppet's reflection in the eye to fake it.

So this most likely indicates the first option, where there was no Kermit present when Jim's photo was taken, and by the time they were compositing the two images together, it was too late to correct it.

Alex