Nate Bought a DVD Player...HELP!!!!

radionate

Reaction score
Well guys, I broke down and finally bought a DVD player. Every time I bought a VHS I would always say that I'd just have to replace it with a DVD before long. Now with so many things starting to come out on DVD that I really want (The Muppet Show and Movies, Monsters Inc., Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Goldmember, Star Wars, etc etc) I decided Friday night was the right time to bite the bullet.

Now, here's my question. I know a lot about them, but there is one thing I haven't quiet figured out yet. What is an "Easter Egg". I've presumed these are hidden little extras, but how does one find them? Are there another other little secrets I should know about?

And lastly, and DVDs that are so amazing (as far as director's commentary/extras go)?

grail

Reaction score
welcome to the next millenium! woo!

but seriously...

easter eggs are exactly what you said, "hidden" features that are supposed to make the disk more fun. i've got a great site for them bookmarked at home that i'll post when i get there for you (and anyone else) to check out.

there are several DVDs out there that are EXCELLENT to own. from what i know about your tastes, you'll definately want Moulin Rouge. that disk is packed. i just picked up Johnny Dangerously this week, and while it's not got much on it...it's Johnny Dangerously! obviously the Muppet movies are a must, and if you're a Star Trek fan, they've been doing special editions of the movies and putting them out. they've done the first two so far and they are excellent! The Dark Crystal is a really nice one to have too, lots of extras!

one thing that i'm ashamed to say that i do not own on DVD (yet) is Nightmare Before Christmas. it's an excellent disk, with both "Frankenweenie" and "Vincent" as extras...and it's just a great movie. i think i may pick up both it and Labyrinth next paycheck.

i don't know if that was any help at all, but i have about 100 dvds so i love getting a chance to talk about them now and again...

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Now, here's my question. I know a lot about them, but there is one thing I haven't quiet figured out yet. What is an "Easter Egg". I've presumed these are hidden little extras, but how does one find them?
ROFL!!!!

You didn't know what an EASTER EGG is! Oh, how droll! LOL!

:big_grin:

Really, that's kute that it's late 2002 and somebody doesn't know what that is...

*snikker*

:smile:

radionate

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was just unsure how to go about cracking the "easter eggs' if they were hidden.

So far on DVD I have:

Steel Magnolias
Dolores Clayborn
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Scream 3
Road Trip (Only because I got it free from work, haven't even watched it yet)(doubt I will until I get bored with the others)

As far as picking up new ones, yeah, Moulin Rouge is right up there. Of course I have it on video (as it was only ten bucks), but the extras have me very excited). Aside from the Muppets and Classic Disney stuff (like the 10th anniversary of Beauty & the Beast), I would like to get Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Only if it has extras and is even out), Nightmare Before Christmas, and both Toy Story movies.

I'm learning to read the boxes carefully before buying them, as many times there aren't many added features, and if there aren't, I'll just keep my VHS copy (I've got over 200 movies on VHS, a collection I'm very proud of).

What extras are on the Dark Crystal? Lab.? What about the other Henson/Muppet discs?

grail

Reaction score
don't make fun of him...i talk to people on a DAILY basis that don't know the difference between a left click or a right click on the mouse, people that don't know that the monitor and the tower are two seperate things, and so turning off the "picture" does NOT constitute turning off the computer, and people who turn off their computers before they call for support, because they only have one phone line, so since their computer is "connected to the internet, {they} obviously can't have it on while they are just on the phone".

you can laugh, but i have had to deal with all three of those...the last one, when i asked what was on his screen, the conversation went like this:

him: "it's blank."

me: "i'm sorry, you said 'blank'?"

him: "yes blank, i only have one phone line, so i can't have the computer on and be on the phone at the same time. now are you going to fix the thing or not?"

me: "well, i'm certainly going to try. let's go ahead and turn on the computer."

him: "i already told you, i only have one line. are you just trying to disconnect me so you don't have to do anything?

me: "no sir. connecting to the internet and using the computer are two different things. you can do one without the other. besides, the only way i can do anything is if we can figure out what's causing the problem. we need the computer on to do that.

him: "fine, if you don't want to help me, i'll take it to someone who can!"

me: "that is your choice, sir. thank you for calling internet technical support."

that was the ACTUAL conversation...i was being recorded for monitoring, and got to listen to it. this was YESTERDAY!

so no, not knowing what an easter egg is isn't anything to make fun of him for...at least he knows how to operate the DVD player...

radionate

Reaction score
Re: Re: Nate Bought a DVD Player...HELP!!!!

Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
ROFL!!!!

You didn't know what an EASTER EGG is! Oh, how droll! LOL!

:big_grin:

Really, that's kute that it's late 2002 and somebody doesn't know what that is...

*snikker*

:smile:
What's drool is that you are still boycotting the letter C. Come on now. Can't you come up with catchier stuff to crown yourself the crown prinCe of dorkdom?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
that was the AKTUAL conversation...i was being rekorded for monitoring, and got to listen to it. this was YESTERDAY!

so no, not knowing what an easter egg is isn't anything to make fun of him for...at least he knows how to operate the DVD player...
LOL! What a great konversation! :big_grin: LOL! I wish you kould send me a kopy...

And pardon me grail, but ol' Nate there keeps komin' up with new material for the "How Stupid Am I?" thread, so I think I should be able to take at least one shot bakk!

Really!

I do!

:mad:

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Thanks for the help. I was just unsure how to go about cracking the "easter eggs' if they were hidden.

So far on DVD I have:

Steel Magnolias
Dolores Clayborn
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Scream 3
Road Trip (Only because I got it free from work, haven't even watched it yet)(doubt I will until I get bored with the others)

What extras are on the Dark Crystal? Lab.? What about the other Henson/Muppet discs?
ah...the only one i can think of from those is Jay and Silent Bob...what you do is go to the actor bios, got to Jason Mewes's bio, hit the "up" arrow and hit "enter". as far as the others, that site i mentioned before tells you how to do them, usually it entails moving the arrows around and hitting "enter".

Dark Crystal has a bunch of stuff, deleted scenes, behind the scenes, design sketches, and other stuff that i forget about. i don't know about Lab, though one of the other folks in here who has it might be so kind as to clue us both in (hint hint). the first three Muppet movies have almost no extras, but Muppets from Space has at least a nice commentary, i don't know what else (i don't have it yet). Muppet Treasure Island is a REALLY well done DVD, with some really neat stuff embedded INTO the commentary, as well as some other extras that are fun.

how's that?

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
And pardon me grail, but ol' Nate there keeps komin' up with new material for the "How Stupid Am I?" thread, so I think I should be able to take at least one shot bakk!
okay, you have a point there...i had forgotten about that...but in all fairness, you're the one that STARTED that thread, you should have known what would happen.

my job frustrates me, and not knowing what an easter egg is didn't seem that bad, considering there is so much more stupidity in the world...