Nanny, the Unseen Matriarch

wemblingalong

Reaction score
For many seasons I sat in my living room Saturday mornings, eating cereal and watching Muppet Babies on CBS. All the time I was there one question always came to my mind, “What does she look like?” :confused:

I always hoped that one day Nanny might bend over to pick something up or fall on the nursery floor just so we could get a glimpse. I know I always had my own thought of how Nanny looked. For some reason I always envisioned her with red shoulder length hair. I’m sure others may have had an idea in their heads of how Nanny looked too!

What did Nanny look like? Why was her face never shown?
Was the mystery that is Nanny just a way for kids to use their imagination?

I have always wondered about the woman in the striped socks!

Redsonga

Reaction score
She was never shown but I always thought of her as everyones mom or aunt, that maybe could change her face depending on who was looking at her...I thought she was a normal looking human in her early 30's with brown hair that she wore back like Mary Poppins :smile:

dmoss

Reaction score
Nice thread idea! :smile:

I actually always pictured Nanny with short, brown hair. Plus, she always had glasses on. Not really around her neck, but on.

What do you guys think: Glasses, yes or no?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Nice thread idea! :smile:

I actually always pictured Nanny with short, brown hair. Plus, she always had glasses on. Not really around her neck, but on.

What do you guys think: Glasses, yes or no?
I think she had glasses...I could have sworn once she had some around her neck in the actual show when she was reading something to them :embarrassed:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I could see her with glasses. But not all the time.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've pictured her with short brown hair, but no glasses.

And I wonder why she was left in charge of the babies, especially since she wasn't their mother, and it didn't seem like the babies lived in an orphanage or foster home, and it seems like the show rarely mentioned anybody's parents, though did mention them all having famies outside of the nursery.

wemblingalong

Reaction score
Reading Glasses?

Actually I think in one of the episodes Nanny said, "I'll go get my reading glasses." I was reminded of that when I read all the post.
I'm not sure which episode it was.

I often wondered where the parents were. I thought it might of been just a daycare but they stayed overnight.

Hmm maybe she looked like Barbara Billingsley (aka Beaver's Mom) the voice of Nanny! :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Actually I think in one of the episodes Nanny said, "I'll go get my reading glasses." I was reminded of that when I read all the post.
I'm not sure which episode it was.

I often wondered where the parents were. I thought it might of been just a daycare but they stayed overnight.

Hmm maybe she looked like Barbara Billingsley (aka Beaver's Mom) the voice of Nanny! :smile:
Well, back in the old days in England sometimes the nanny basically was left to raise the children, most of all if they were still MB age :coy:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I've always imagined that she was modelled upon Hilda the wardrobe mistress from Season 1 of the Muppet Show.

armslength

Reaction score
I always had this fantasy that they would show what she looked like in the very last episode and it would be revealed that she looked like Jane Henson.