My Thoughts on JHH: MuppeTelevision Half-Hours

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I watched every episode of The Jim Henson Hour on you tube recently (well, I didn't watch all of Living with Dinosaurs or Dog City... and the later has been taken down), and thought I'd post my thoughts on all of the MuppeTelevision episodes. I'll include the MuppeTelevision pre-show for Dog City and The Secrets of the Muppets as well.

Science Fiction - 4 stars
The controll room scenes are great, as is the sequence where Kermit, Linbergh and Waldo go inside Digit's brain, but the rest is hit-or-miss. If Frank Oz was able to perform in this epidode, I wodner if they would have tried to work Pigs in Space into the epsiode somehow. It's also a shame that Bunsen and Beaker didn't contribute to science fiction. I recall watching this epsidoe when it first aired. However, for a first episode, it doens't showcase very many of the new characters. Kermit and Digit (and to a lesser extent Lindbergh and Waldo) are the characters with msot focus, while the others only make short cameos in sketches and backstage scenes, or appear in the closing number (or both). So people wanting to just see the classic characters or those wanting to get to know the newer characters might be disapointed.

Aquatic Life - 3 stars
This episode is good to watch to pass the time, but it's not one of the best. It's a bit awkward that the controll room is aparantly underwater for this one, and it's a shame that Robin wasn't in this (considering the underwater theme). However, both of the musical numbers are terriffic, but the evolution/ environmental sketch is a bit long and slow. And it's the only MuppeTelevision episode to lack a closing number. However, with Lighthouse Island as the second half-hour, this is one of the few epsidoes where the second half hour fits in with the first half-hours theme.

Monster Telethon - 5 stars
Now the series starst getting better, and starst to focus on more characetrs than just Kermit and Digit with others dropping by for cameos. And it starts to heavily feature a mix of new and old characters, with Fozzie having his own subplot, and many characters wanting tot ake over from Kermit, yet aren't sure what to do when they do get in charge. Sweet Vacation is a great number, and the telethon parts ar ehilarious (though it seems like they gave up on that idea after the closing number). Incidently I wonder why Jerry Nelson didn't perform in this one (Beard appeared, but didn't speak, and Nelson wasn't credited).

Dog City pre-show - 4
This was good, though it only contained a handful of recurrign characters. Bean Bunny's trailers were funny. It's interestng how the openign performers sequence sowed characters from the main special, as opposed to MuppeTelevision chaaracters.

The Ratings Game - 5 stars
An excellant episode. La Babmba is a grat closing number, the Response-O-Matic sequence is great (with 1980s-style coomputer graphics, though more like the kind found on an '80s video or computer game than what The Jim Henson Hour usually used). It's interesting how after Waldorf makes a joke that it quickly cuts away as he and Statler are about to laugh, obviously to hide the fact that Richard Hunt wasn't performing Sttaler (though we do hear Statler make a sound). I expected Gorilla Television to have more presence in the episode, and to basically battle the Muppets programming. While Jerry Nelson appears on-screen, it seems that he doesn't perform any Muppets iin this one. Not counting the Dog City pre-show this is the only MuppeTelevision episode to directly reference the second half hour (and at the same time it still comes off as a stand-alone piece... They never mention Miss Piggy's Hollywood coming in later in the same show, and Piggy's hairstyle is different from the secodn half hour).

Health and Fitness - 5 stars
This is probably the favorite episode for fans of the classic Muppet Show Muppets, as Link gets a subplot and works well with the newer characters, and there are apppearances by The Swedish Chef, Bunsen, Beaker, Statler, Waldorf, Sweetums, Doglion, Luncheon Counter Monster, Timmy, Rowlf, and Dr. Teeth (in addition to Kermit, Gonzo, and the chickens). Both of Smokey Robinson's numbers are among the greatest, and it seems like Solid Foam starts to become a more major part of the show. The only dull part is the act that comes before the closing number (and Bean-Ercise isn't that great, either).

Musicians - 5 stars
Probably the best episode altogether. I expected the majority of the epsidoe to focus on Solid Foam, but the focus seems to die down halfway through and get replaced with focus on Gonzo pre-recording himself. Back in 2003 when Tough Pigs started The Jim Henson Hour Anthology there was a still of Kermit fast-forwarding Gonzo, but I thought that's how pre-recorded Gonzo looked the whole time. I recall seeing this episode in it's original run, as I rememebered Kermit going through a TV before seeing Fozzie in aroom with a woman (though my memory included Kermit in the sketch, which doesn't actually happen here). Was that Chris Langham as the old woman? And was that David Johansen (aka Buster Poindexter) as the headless guy? Both the opening and closing number are terriffic, though I would have preferred that the closing nubmer have more Muppets and less people. This is also the only episode to have performances by both Frank Oz and Richard Hunt.

Garbage - 3 stars
Like Aquatic Life, this episode is good to watch when there's not much to do. And also like that other epsidoe, this is one of the few where the second half hour (Sapsorrow) actually fits in with the main theme of the show (as Straggletag, Sapsorrow's alternate identity, looks like something from the garbage). Its to bad they didn't work in apearancws by Oscar or Marjoury the Trash Heap. And the closing number isn't as good as any of the other closing numbers (as those usually featured the whole cast and often had cut-aways tp characters and sets from earlier in the respective episodes, this looks more like something that would've been done on The Muppet Show, though not as a closing number). The nightingale story is interesting, though it looks like somethignt hat'd be appropriate for Sesame Street.

Food - 4 stars
I wonder why this one has no guest star (was nobody available/ interested, or was this an experimental way of trying to be different from The Mupet Show?). Animal and Zoot now appear as part of Solid Foam, who is seen in the controll room for most of the epsiode. The best parts are the Food Chain Song and Link's segment. Too bad they didn't work in Cookie Monster or Grover (as a waiter, or even the delivery guy). I wonder why this episode doesn't have a cold opening or MuppeTelevision sequence following Jim Henson's introduction before the commercial.

The Secrets of the Muppets - 5 stars
Since this episode never aired in the original run, I wouldn't be surprised if all versions shown to fans have been edited. I guess the scene after Gonzo revealed asecet of his own would have been followed by a commercial break if shown in the original NBC run. It seems like this episode didn't have an opening performer credit sequence (especially since the performers are credited at the end). But all the behind-the-scenes info is fascinating.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Nice reviews! I have to say I enjoyed the Aquatic episode when I saw it back in 1989. I found its environmental message very moving and thought its ending was perfect. We're not entirely sure if Ted will keep his promise to clean the oceans. It's all up to him (meaning it's all up to us). Then we see Kermit somberly turn to the camera and quietly say, "Goodnight everybody" with the sound of whales in the background.

And I still enjoy hearing the soundtrack to Lighthouse Island and like that for once it's the man changing for the woman! :wink:

Also Buster Poindexter rocks! :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Also Buster Poindexter rocks! :big_grin:
I gotta agree with you on that. I was surprised when I first read that Buster Poindexter was a character played by an actor, and not David Johansen's stage name. And I thought it was odd that he was credited as his character.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well Buster Poindexter was a stagename David Johansen used to create a new image in the '80s.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, one thing I recently noticed about this show is that aparrantly nothing went wrong during the on-stage (is that the right term for this show? After all, acts were on different monitors, and it seems that no stage was used) acts, unlike The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight. There weren't any acts where thigns go wrong, and the others struggle to keep the act going until it's over.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, in Musicians, there is a scene where Bean appears on a monitor, jumping and at times getting out of the monitor, and Kermit says "That's very cute, but you're breaking our sense of reality". Does anybody know what this joke was? I mean, in Aquatic Life, there were a few times when characetrs in monitors were able to stick out of the monitors, and in a few epsidoes (including Musicians, just a few minutes before Bean does this) Kermit goes in and out of monitors.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've recently looked at the Muppet Wiki pages for all these episodes, and the ratings for the episodes First Episode (formerly known as "The Ratings Game") and Fitness (formerly known to fans as "Health and Fitness") were almost dead last in the ratings (I think one of them was), which is unfortunate because those are two of the best episodes.

I sort of wonder what they were thinking by having Outer Space (formerly known to fans as "Science Fiction") and Oceans (formerly known to fans as "Aquatic Life") be the first two episodes. Later episodes like Power (formerly known to us as "Monster Telethon"), First Episode, Fitness, and Videotape (formerly known to us as "Musicians") are all much stronger episodes. Assuming the one titled "First Episode" was intended to be the first one, it's especially unfortunate that wasn't the first one broadcast due to it being paired with Miss Piggy's Hollywood (and the episode's cameo by Piggy). Maybe it makes sense that they'd want the first broadcast episode to feature a StoryTeller episode... But then they should have aired Power or Videotape first, as those are better. The first two broadcast episodes are quite weak.

P.S. for those who don't realize or haven't found out yet, all the "titles" fans had been using for years were made up by Danny Horn for his episode guide in Muppetzine. Those titles had caught on with the Muppet fan community without the knowledge they'd been made-up, but recently documents of the 2004 Henson-Disney deal have surfaced online and the actual titles were listed there (only Garbage and Food were correct titles). I think I'd mentioned all the correct titles in this post (and incidently, the Dog City pre-show is apparrantly titled "Movie Trailer Parody of Classic Muppets").