My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I get the feeling I am the only one who enjoyed muppets wizard of oz. While its not as good as other movies, it wasnt tourture to watch. It had its moments.

And back to what I was saying about celebs. No offence, but I think that pairing them up with disney channel stars will influence the whole "muppets are for kids" thing.

If some big movie star or musician got with the muppets, I'm sure people would be willing to give them a chance. The mentality of some people is "If So-and-so like such-and-such, I will start liking such-and-such"

I'm sure if Metallica or someone like that got with the muppets, chances are there will be fans who would think that if metallica likes muppets, why shouldnt I like muppets?" By the way, I dont like metallica, it was the first thing that came to mind of people who you wouldnt edxpect to work with the muppets.

Or it could ruin their image, I dont know *shrugs*

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I get the feeling I am the only one who enjoyed muppets wizard of oz. While its not as good as other movies, it wasnt tourture to watch. It had its moments.
Having seen it for the first time recently, I will admit it's a lot better than I thought it would be. Some of it was rather cute and touching. And Rickey Boyd did an amazing job with Scooter. But there's still those slightly jaded and cruel jokes that keep following the post-Jim projects that bother me.

Basically, it was no where near the quality of The Muppet Movie, but better than Muppets From Space, in my opinion. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

And back to what I was saying about celebs. No offence, but I think that pairing them up with disney channel stars will influence the whole "muppets are for kids" thing.

If some big movie star or musician got with the muppets, I'm sure people would be willing to give them a chance. The mentality of some people is "If So-and-so like such-and-such, I will start liking such-and-such"

I'm sure if Metallica or someone like that got with the muppets, chances are there will be fans who would think that if metallica likes muppets, why shouldnt I like muppets?" By the way, I dont like metallica, it was the first thing that came to mind of people who you wouldnt edxpect to work with the muppets.

Or it could ruin their image, I dont know *shrugs*
I liked it. Not a big Ashanti fan, but the film transcends her performance. The only problem I have with Oz is the focus. There were parts both under and over exploited.

unclematt

Reaction score
I will be straight up. Here are some people I think they should work with.

Steve Carell
Will Ferrell
Ben Affleck
Matt Damon
Morgan Freeman
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
Julia Roberts
Robin Williams
Jack Nicholson
Owen and Luke Wilson
Renee Zellweger
Jake Gyllenhaul

I am sure there are others that I can not think of.

gemair7

Reaction score
I loved Pepe in this movie...and I thought it was a good one. And while I think Ashanti is a good singer, she's not a great actress and for me...she was hard to watch. Since this was released by disney...they should've went with Raven...or maybe Christy Carlson Romano

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I may be the only one here who thinks this, but I didn't mind Ashanti's performance, lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I loved Pepe in this movie...and I thought it was a good one. And while I think Ashanti is a good singer, she's not a great actress and for me...she was hard to watch. Since this was released by disney...they should've went with Raven...or maybe Christy Carlson Romano
I'm so glad they didn't go with either of those choices. I believe they originally were going a different way with the production and courting Natalie Portman for the role. Now that would have made for an interesting Oz. Ashanti wasn't totally terrible, but she was bland and had little connection with the Muppets. They gave much more life-like performances.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm so glad they didn't go with either of those choices. I believe they originally were going a different way with the production and courting Natalie Portman for the role. Now that would have made for an interesting Oz. Ashanti wasn't totally terrible, but she was bland and had little connection with the Muppets. They gave much more life-like performances.
Yeah, it's like Ashanti was a puppet or something! :zany: :wink:

Luke

Reaction score
I would have definitely gone with Portman - the film would have had a whole different feel with her. Only gotta look at Magorium to see she can work well in that style. I think if it was purely Henson and they had the budget they would have wanted her but it was probably Disney that opted to use one of their own "talent". Oz completely bores me, way too disneyfied. I'd love to see Henson's original script - i bet it changed a lot.

As for who the Mupps should work with if they get a "new" Muppet Show. I don't think you can completely discount the Britney Spears, High School Musical, Hannah Montanna type people. There's no point bringing back loads of really old stars, or do too many episodes with the big names like Julia Roberts or Tom Hanks. Remember they would want to attract a family audience that mainly targets kids/tweens. It needs to be a mix of guests that the kids normally want to watch and can recognise - i agree it shouldn't just be kiddie Disney Channel stars and a few movie actors or classic guests that everyone can enjoy but you can't expect them to just make a show for us fans. What 9 year old is going to turn up to watch Morgan Freeman or Julia Roberts? The show would get canned first season. Muppets Tonight had quite a good guest list, (Prince especially), but it did suffer a bit from not having its finger on the pulse of who's hot.