My Thoughts: Disney's Muppets

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It would be nice if the Muppets did something new. But personally, I wouldn't mind if they never did anything else. Not just because the new stuff has consistently disapointed. But also because the Muppets have done their good work, they're classic and by definiton something that's classic can't last forever.

Heh, that being said, it would be nice if Disney would release the old stuff on DVD faster than it has! It's annoying walking into a video store, seeing two copies of The Muppet Movie and five copies of Muppets From Space (sorry, I can't watch that for more than two seconds). I honestly think these companies have no idea what their audience's actual tastes are. It's mostly speculation and assumption.

beaker

Reaction score
SteveJRogers said:
I liken this to the infamous sale of the wrestling promotion WCW by the WWF back in March of 2001.

By 2000, WCW was in utter and complete shambles. What was once the number one wrestling promotion had gone to complete and utter pot.

They couldn't get out from under inflated contracts, Turner was ready to pull the plug on all programing. WCW was flatlining

Enter Vince McMahon and the WWF on a "White Horse" (more like a Trojan one though) after the latest last ditch effort to buy WCW failed to go through (thanks to Turner cancelling all programing) The WWF had successfully won the "Monday Night Wars" and were back on top, and they were now buying the competition, and gobbling up 22 (IIRC) of its young, hungry and inexpensive stars, and were looking into bringing in some of the more expensive ones once their buyouts from AOL/Time Warner expired

Well, the idea was that WCW would survive as a brand. Dates and arenas were booked for WCW events througout the early summer of 2001. This would be the centerpiece of the whole deal, that and the fact that Vince controlled WCW's sizable library, which meant that the WWF would own just about 90% of the most important pro-wrestling matches in the last 25-30 years. VERY important and would be used quite frequently in the ensuing years on DVD releases and an 24/7 Internet channel

Well they decide to re-introduce WCW by having Vince's son, Shane, buy the company from under Vince's nose (the onscreen battle of the McMahons has always been a good "go-to" for storylines, much to fans' chagrins) and introduce WCW as an "invading" force of WWE.

However, the way the storyline was booked was botched from the beginning. The way things were going, fan reaction was strong towards the WWF guys, and anti-WCW guys, not what the WWF wanted. And to top it off, when they did a WCW style programing (in Seattle of all places, not a WCW hotbed like one of the South Eastern States) the crowd was bored stiff, didn't know WHAT they were supposed to be watching!

Fan reaction caused the whole WCW "angle" to be stopped completly. Events ended up being cancelled, the former WCW wrestlers ended up in an "Alliance" filled with ex-ECW (a promotion that was a #3 promotion for a while that folded in January of 2001, most of its stars, as well as the promoter himself ended up getting jobs with the WWF) stars and a couple of "disgruntled" WWF guys. This was just done in order to put an end to the whole fiasco. But for the most part, WCW is now completely dead and buried! About the only thing left is the fact that WCW matches and likeness of its past stars are appearing on WWF merchandise, but in terms of a continuing enity, it is NO MORE!

I haven't been follwing the WWF much in recent years though, but apparantly they are reviving the ECW brand (the ex Promoter was able to give the WWF the name and library as well as copyrights and trademarks) and actually landed the ECW brand a TV timeslot (Sci-Fi Channel, I'm not sure I want to know why) My guess is that the WWE (as the WWF is now called) audience is more intune to the ECW product than the older WCW product as the WWF has produced a couple of ECW style PPVs and ECW DVDs and books have sold well, better than those spotlighing WCW
I agree with your statement. I followed wrestling big time from 1986 til about 2002, then gave up.

The ultimate dream angle of WWF vs WCW vs ECW vs NWO was completely botched, and it ceased to become anything other than Mad TV skits with some "wrestling".

But now we have TNA which is pretty much WCW and ROH which is pretty much ECW again, tho I never got back into wrestling.

Point being, someone buys up a huge franchise then makes sure it never thrives again.

THIS is what is happening to the Muppets. It's like freedom being squashed by a dictator.

WHY cant Muppet fans have the cajones and will of Farscape fans and
make some noise?

aaronmojo

Reaction score
I hate to say this here but maybe they just need to (GASP) retire the classic Muppets. After all -- when was the last time Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse was in an enjoyable cartoon?

It is impossible that new Muppet projects will be imbued with the same quality as the "golden age" Muppet stuff because most of the folks who worked with Henson have either moved on or passed away. I think if Disney does anything with the Muppets, it will definitely be geared towards children and will have none of the cleverness or sophistication that we all love.

Think of it as Chuck Jones Bugs Bunny versus Space Jam Bugs Bunny. I'd rather they retire these characters than run them into the ground.

CommanderD

Reaction score
aaronmojo said:
I hate to say this here but maybe they just need to (GASP) retire the classic Muppets. After all -- when was the last time Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse was in an enjoyable cartoon?

It is impossible that new Muppet projects will be imbued with the same quality as the "golden age" Muppet stuff because most of the folks who worked with Henson have either moved on or passed away. I think if Disney does anything with the Muppets, it will definitely be geared towards children and will have none of the cleverness or sophistication that we all love.

Think of it as Chuck Jones Bugs Bunny versus Space Jam Bugs Bunny. I'd rather they retire these characters than run them into the ground.
Well, maybe semi-retirement. Because Disney did release Mickey, Donald, and Goofy in "The Three Musketeers" on DVD a few years ago and that was actually very enjoyable. I figure there may still be hope. If they can still make a decent Mickey, perhaps they'll figure out what to do with Kermit too.

And ugh, please don't mention Space Jam... :embarrassed: :eek:

JRawkSteady

Reaction score
First off, the last few Disney films have been crummy, but that's because in Eisner's final years, he just gave up and started trying to pump out more films rather than make quality. Iger is trying to fix Eisner's mistakes by bringing Lasseter into the picture. Pirates of the Caribbean was the only tremendous success Disney has had in a while. HOWEVER, the Disney Channel is doing very well and so are its subsidiaries.

I feel liek Disney isn't sure what to do with the Muppets yet, but if you give them time, I bet they'll make the right decisions...but then again, I'm a glass is half full kinda guy.

Marky

Reaction score
Personally, it`d be great to see someone new break through with a fresher idea, great writing and a talented base of people like this guy!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
Now, I have a real issue with Disney doing that to DuckTales and Darkwing Duck, not having special features. If you're not gonna put special features in a DVD box set, then you might as well make it availible for VHS. It would cost less, and you'd get the same as on DVD.
Mmmmm/.... well, I do agree it's a shame to see these wi'out special features, but then again, DVD's cost less to produce than VHS... much like how Cd-rom based games are cheaper to produce than cartidge games.... which is what cause N64 to collapse. HOWEVER, I feel it's nice we have them AT ALL. Remember.... Darkwing Duck and Ducktales were released 2 episodes on each tape for 10+ dollars. You get 26 or 27 episodes for 25 bucks... that's a buck an episode. Not to mention that you don't have to rewind or fast forward to get to one specific episode you want to watch. While it is a shame they couldn't get the voice actors together or anything, it's still a good dealn and a boon to the fans. To Disney's credit, they could've just left them on the shelf, and released every episode of "Zach and Cody Screw Around in a Hotel" or whatever it's called.

>> agree with your statement. I followed wrestling big time from 1986 til about 2002, then gave up.

The ultimate dream angle of WWF vs WCW vs ECW vs NWO was completely botched, and it ceased to become anything other than Mad TV skits with some "wrestling".

But now we have TNA which is pretty much WCW and ROH which is pretty much ECW again, tho I never got back into wrestling.

Point being, someone buys up a huge franchise then makes sure it never thrives again<<

Somehow the whole thing looks less believable than Ultimate Muscle. Every time I see an ad for an episode, I keep thinking Wally Tuskett will jump out and the Undertaker reveals himself as a member of the DMP. Embarassing.

The problem is buying the Muppets was Eisner's Brain child, and all the "eisner" choices (except for exploiting the shell out of Winnie the Pooh to a gutrenching extent) are apparently gone.

I know it woulda sucked, but they can't find time on their schedual for the "Next Muppet" show on ABC... with their unwatched According to Jim-a-thons? Man, they even gave Rodney 2 seasons and it's not even a remarkabnle show in any aspect.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I have to agree I am also disappointed with what Disney's been doing with the Muppets lately. I mean I'm very thankful for the season 1 set despite it being all cut up. I just wish that they'd release season 2 already! It's been over a year since season 1 came out, but I guess if this means they're trying to get as many un-cut episodes as possible it's ok. Muppets' Wizard of Oz was ok in my book but nothing special. It's definitely the Muppet Movie I've watched the least amount of times though.

If Eisner was still around I wonder if we'd be getting more activity from the Muppets, he seemed to be really excited about owning the Muppets (it's the one thing that keeps me from being a huge Anti-Eisner person).

As for the movies.com Statler and Waldorf show I still like it but I do miss Steve and Dave, the new guys just aren't as great. I watched the newest episode yesterday and then watched the first episode and it was so much better.

P

Philip Kippel

muppetsforlife said:
You are 100% dead on. You know I always tried to defend Disney and really had high hopes for what they were going to do. I kept saying "give them a chance, they will do good." But I officially agree with you all, now. They are doing terrible with them. And I don't support what they are doing until they prove me wrong. Which I am still hoping for, but doubt very much. Very frustrating.
Well, you're better off going back to defending Disney and giving them a chance, knowing that they will do good because they WILL do good.

And Barry Lee, please get a life!