My Theory On Elmo

That Announcer

Reaction score
As we all know, few on this forum like Elmo (myself included.) So why do we all hate him? Well, I have a theory.

One reason is his voice. The rest of the Muppets have fairly normal, pleasant-to-hear voices. Elmo has this screechy, whiny tone that goes straight down your spine. Baby Bear suffers from the same problem to an extent, but not as much as Elmo does.

Another reason is the phasing out of Ernie, Bert and the rest of the classic characters. I see no problem when Pepe comes in with the main Muppets and replaces, say, Rowlf. That's not a problem for me, because Pepe is only replacing one character. Elmo, on the other hand, has knocked out at least 7 Muppets- Bert, Ernie, Cookie, Grover, Oscar, The Two Headed Monster, and even to an extent Big Bird. All our favorite classic characters replaced by this little red annoyance.

The third reason is his new show dominance. It's bad enough that we rarely see the classic characters any more. We could just see them every once in a while. However, Elmo now occupies the street segments (1/4 of the show), "Elmo's World" (another 1/4 of the show) and many insert segments (about another 1/4). So, Elmo is now 75% of Sesame Street. Perhaps overdose, no?

All these things combined make us hate that evil furry monster. He ain't fuzzy and blue. He's just like the sight of blood- too much can make you scream.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Thank you That Announcer! I have the exact same feelings!
One other thing that bugs me about that furry red menace is he always says "Elmo did this" "Elmo did that." instead of "I did this." or "I did that." He's a bad influence on little kids when he talks like that. :mad:
(In one of the fanfics in here,Elmo's babysitter Kiersten was getting frustrated with Elmo talking like that. DTF wrote the fanfic.)

That Announcer

Reaction score
CJ: I agree with you pretty much 100%. I forgot to put the 'overexposure' deal in my post. And I hate Baby Bear more than I hate Elmo, but unfortunately, I cannot blame Baby Bear for the practical demise of Sesame Street. I also agree with your theory about the songs. "Air" sung by Bip Bippadotta is a perfect example of this. A while back there, I had pneumonia. So inasmuch as I was stuck in bed, I would watch the 10AM Detroit showings of SS. "Air" was the only memorable segment. Repetition yes, educational value yes. What is "Elmo's World" going to teach a kid, other than how NOT to do something (with the Noodle segments?) Oh by the way- Michael Jeter as Noodle was and is the only good thing about Elmo's World.

Kathy: Thanks for the compliments!

BEAR

Reaction score
Katzi428 said:
Thank you That Announcer! I have the exact same feelings!
One other thing that bugs me about that furry red menace is he always says "Elmo did this" "Elmo did that." instead of "I did this." or "I did that." He's a bad influence on little kids when he talks like that. :mad:
(In one of the fanfics in here,Elmo's babysitter Kiersten was getting frustrated with Elmo talking like that. DTF wrote the fanfic.)

Hey, Katz...is this any different than Cookie Monster saying "ME want Cookie"? I riddle you?

Katzi428

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Hey, Katz...is this any different than Cookie Monster saying "ME want Cookie"? I riddle you?
I don't know BEAR...I guess not. But Cookie Monster doesn't do it too often or have his own segment of the show like Elmo does. (I'm not getting into a fight about this btw)

BEAR

Reaction score
Katzi428 said:
I don't know BEAR...I guess not. But Cookie Monster doesn't do it too often or have his own segment of the show like Elmo does. (I'm not getting into a fight about this btw)
Oh, me neither. I don't care about either of their impediments, I was just making a point regarding the poor example to kids thing. If one is bad, then a classic one that has been around from the beginning must be bad too. I was just jabbin.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Katzi428 said:
Moreso that Cookie Monster doesn't come on a whole lot. Elmo, on the other hand, is everywhere- and so kids are likely to copy him and not Cookie.