My second puppet: Skeeter

Slackbot

Reaction score
After building Janken Fraggle I felt ready to tackle a canon character, one who actually has to look like something we've seen before. Well, sort of; Sheeter was Scooter's twin sister in Muppet Babies, and had no other canon appearances outside of kiddie books, if you count those as canon.

And then Boom! Comics published the "Family Reunion" arc of its Muppet Show comic, featuring an adult Skeeter as designed (and spearheaded!) by Amy Mebberson. That's the Skeeter who won my heart, so here is my attempt at puppetcraft...

Skeeter Puppet: in a hastily-cobbled-together costume I made out of cannibalized goodwill clothes. It'll stand in until I get the materials to make something much more appropriate. That includes, of course, her striped gloves!

Skeeter Fraggle: One redhead deserves another. Or something. Um.

Anyway, as I said, I'm still working on a good costume. I really don't love making clothes, but I guess I can't let her sashay around naked, especially since she ends at the waist. (I don't suppose they make roller derby outfits in infant sizes, do they?) I'm also going to make her a sturdier pair of glasses.

Hayley B

Reaction score
That's pretty good. I wondered what Skeeter would look like grown up. I imagine like Scooter with alot more hair.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Boy, That looks AWESOME!!! :smile:
I love it! I hope you make more puppets.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. As I said, I was basing mine on Amy Mebberson's Skeeter design. I couldn't give her hair like that, though; I couldn't think of a way to make it that wouldn't have made her look like she was part Twi'lek. I ended up using the thickest yarn I could find in a decent color, chain-crocheting that, then chain-crocheting the crocheted chain, resulting in what looks like funky braids. I guess it proves she's a natural redhead, as only redheads have hair that unruly.

Already I see some goofs. I made her mouthplates too round; her jaws should be more triangular. Ah well, if I make a Scooter I'll correct that.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
There are her clothes, lol. Again, it's really cool that you made this and shared it with everybody!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've done some more work on Skeeter. I shortened and narrowed her neck--from the side she reminded me of a giraffe--and made her gloves. Here she is with a friend...

Skeeter 'n' Janken: Wow, I can see the progress I've made between these two puppets. (Now I know I'll make a better Jan, but after I get some more experience.) Anyhow, on a whim I gave Skeeter some jewelry: a blood donor pin in her ear and my old freedom rings. I didn't think the rings were particularly her, but, looking at it, I kinda like the effect. What do you think? Still to do: make her a better tank top and shorten the skirt.

Gah, I hate these 'stuck-on-a-stick' poses. Puppets look so much better when someone's working them. Alas, I can either work a puppet or a camera, but not both.

BTW, it looks like Janken's taller, but that's only because he has a complete body. If Skeeter had legs they'd be the same height.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Dang, your Skeeter ROCKS. I love her! Awesome job!

I know what you mean about the rings, but honestly I think they work really well. Some much-appropriate pizzazz, and they add some balance to the stark angles and stripes present elsewhere in the character's dress and design.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Finalized Skeeter

I finally got the supplies I needed to put the finishing touches on Skeeter. Black adhesive-backed velvet for her pupils, earpieces (ripped off dollar-store reading glasses) for her eyeglasses, cloth for her bandana, and a new chain for her necklace. I also shortened her skirt. So, I hereby declare her finished! I may work on her clothing a bit more if the spirit moves me, but I have stuck a fork in the puppet.

I also replaced Janken's pupils. Originally they were adhesive-backed felt, so he was always giving me the hairy eyeball. The velvet looks so much better.

I've started work on another puppet, the skull of which has photo-bombed this shot. Its working name is Sneetch.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Janken's looking down at that skull, as if to say "what in the world...". Skeeter looks great!