1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

My Sam the Eagle Replica

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Bobert, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Well, I don't believe I've ever seen a Sam replica before, and I just wanted to show him off and get some feed back. He isn't quite finished yet. I did one day of research and this is where he is at after one day of working on him, I should have him finished tomorrow though. Please forgive his derpy expression, the eyeballs are just place holders. And I still have to trim the fur in spots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case you wanted size reference, here I am :)
    [​IMG]

I know his head isn't the right color, so I'm taking care of that, I have my own little method for making polyfoam look dyed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know that he isn't perfectly accurate, due to quick research and improper materials, but he has so far cost me $0 US :p When he is done, he will have one working arm and mouth, no moving eyes or neck though. So what do you guys think?
  2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Nice. I really like.
    I just think maybe you should change the eyes, maybe use spoons
  3. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Nice work.As you say, it is rare to see a Sam replica.I would give him felt pupils.
    Plaid Fraggle likes this.
  4. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! And just look at the shaggy furfeathers!! :excited: That material looks just perfect. Good luck with the rest of the project, he looks stupendous
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  5. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys, sadly I was delayed finishing him yesterday, but with any luck I'll have that turned around by the end of the day :). Also I tried the spoons for eyes (I love using them) but they were to small, and Sam's eyes are more hemispheres anyway, but with any luck you guys will approve of my eye ball choice :). I'm going to give the felt pupils thing a go though :). I'll keep you guys posted :D
  6. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

He looks like Season 1 Sam. Very nice work! :) :attitude:
  7. Muppet fan 123

It looks really nice! I can't get over how much I love the look of this replica. Amazing job!
  8. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Hey guys, I got the mouth plate and tongue in today, and I have the arms all sewed up, unfortunately the weather was bad, and I had other things I had to work on so yet again I didn't get it finished, so I'm done with the "I'll be done tomorrow" talk, it's only making me look like a weirdo :p, so I'm just going to say it'll be done in a few days. Sorry I didn't get any new pics, I'll try and grab some tomorrow. I really appreciate the support guys :), and first season muppet show was defiantly what I was shooting for although I did reference Sams from then till now in my research.
  9. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Alright guys Sam is finished, well actually he was finished a day or two after my last post, but I've been so busy I haven't had the time or energy to post but here it is the final pictures of Sam the Eagle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly due to a mishap he got a slight dimple in his beak, luckily its not very noticable from the front.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

now for some fun. Captain Sam!
    [​IMG]

Sam of Asgard!
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? All critiques welcome.
  10. Muppet fan 123

WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW.

I love it!! It really looks like Sam! You even got new eyes for him! What did you use in there?

I love it, and I love that Sam as Captain America. It reminds me of that parody poster that Disney released a while back..
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Cool! I really like the finished product, and the fun pictures. :attitude:
  12. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Awesome! I love Captain Sam, that's so cool!
  13. Bobert

Bobert New Member

I was thinking of the parody Sam poster when I put my helmet on him, although I obviously wasn't trying to replicate it :p. the eyes are slightly less than half of a 2 inch styrofoam sphere, that was then covered in joint compound, once dry I gave it a light sanding, and sprayed it down with a matte clear coat, the pupils are just black felt circles I cut out. Thanks for the kind words though they really mean a lot, and I'm glad you guys like him.
  14. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

I wish I was as cool as your Sam :D
    charlietheowl likes this.
  15. Teresa

Teresa New Member

love it! and kudos to you for making one of my favorites. Im terrible at foam work. I am dying to make foam food puppets like the pumpkins in the Chef's kitchen. Anyway, Nice Job!