My own two cents

rowlf84

Reaction score
As a SS fan and a casual reader of the MC forums, I feel the urge to post on the current condition of SS, in particular about "classic characters" people would like to see return, and Elmo. I know, I know, "Not another Elmo thread!" but hear me out, please. I think that it's important for all of us to remember exactly what the purpose of Sesame Street is: to provide an equal opportunity for all children to learn. When SS as first conceived, it was the first television show to both entertain and educate at the same time, without being condescending to children. Sesame Street must strive to achieve the same goals today. In order to educate children, they must want to watch the show in the first place, therefore engaging children is important. Sesame Workshop has always done extensive research on what engages and educates children at the same time. A common method they use is to show some clips of an SS episode to a group of children while there are other distractions in the room, like toys. The researchers then measure the children's attention spans to certain clips of the show and use those as a basis for characters, songs, etc. Obviously, if a character fails to consistently engage the children's interest, they are cut from the show. Unfortunately, this may explain where some of our childhood favorites (Guy Smiley, Mumphred the Magician) have gone. They simply may not be relevant or entertaining for the current generation of children. Elmo has apparently garnered the attention of children, so he has been added as a mainstay. Researchers at Sesame Workshop also do very, very extensive research on children's education. As for the reasoning that Elmo is kept on the show for "merchandising reasons," this may have some basis. However, remember that Sesame Workshop is strictly a non-profit organization. Therefore, all of the profit that they receive from merchandising is invested straight back into research and production for the show. This means that, unlike other organizations, if they have a particularly good year, the executives do not get a fat raise or bonus check. So the tickle-me elmo phase? Just a boon to children's education, that's all (well, the manufacturer of the toys did probably get a sweet check as well). Sadly, as much as we would like to see certain things happen on the show, children's education must be the topmost priority. However, I think that this upcoming season will have some surprises that will please the older viewer, so stay tuned!

BEAR

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. Thank you for that intellegent statement. So much of what you said has been my thoughts exactly but I guess I just couldn't quite put it into the same words. Who are you? I don't believe I have seen you around the forums much at all. We need people like you to speak up more. I respect your words so much and appreciate you posting this. What do you know about the upcoming season that we don't?

rowlf84

Reaction score
I check in on things from time to time, but I haven't posted in a long time. I feel a lot of it is constantly the same old go-around, but I post when I feel I have something valuable to contribute. As for the new season, I unfortunately can't say much right now, but it will be a good one. Thanks for your kind words, Bear.

BEAR

Reaction score
Thats great. How do you know the stuff? Are you associated with SW?

rowlf84

Reaction score
Vaguely. Although I may not be in the future if I say too much, lol.

BEAR

Reaction score
rowlf84 said:
Vaguely. Although I may not be in the future if I say too much, lol.

How mysterious....well, I respect that. Say whatever you can to us, willing.:smile:

rowlf84

Reaction score
No worries. I'll do what I can. I really wish I could say more. But, that's show business, I guess. I think more details on the upcoming season should emerge soon, as taping begins in the next month.

superfan

Reaction score
Elmo has gotten a lot of flack (I admit it, I contribute) but what you say is true, Rowlf. At the bottom core of SS there is a principle that the writers and producers have been trying to uphold. It is increasingly difficult, I would imagine moreso now than ever with the vast quantity of children's shows out there which provide at times stiff competition. Bottom line is that whether you are a fan of the classic or the current SS, Sesame Street is always with us, ever evolving. We're all going to have an opinion. We all hope it will last another 36 years...wow, could you imagine!

rowlf84

Reaction score
What you said about other shows and competition is straight on superfan. And don't get me wrong, I respect anybody's opinion they have about the show and its characters. I feel the same way sometimes: that Elmo gets a lot of air time. But when I watch my young cousins watching Sesame Street to get a glimpse of a furry red monster, it's hard for me to complain.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Very well put everyone. :smile:

And it looks like we got another Secret Squirrel on the site, too! Great to have you here.