My Fozzie Replica (First Attempt)

scandell

Reaction score
While I have your ear Peter...any estimate on the distance of the gap between his upper and lower mouth plate? In other words, how much fabric is loose at the back of his throat? 1 inch? 2 inches?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Excellent!! Thanks so much! Mine is currently 8+ inches! He is massive!!! :wink:

Is this 6.25 measurement taken from your actual fozzie muppet!!?? If so thanks so much!!! Did we find out if your muppet was actually used as a puppet or was it strictly used for still photo work?
Yes,it is measured from my actual Fozzie.A Muppet builder told me in most cases, the Photo puppets are made from former working puppets, but I havent been able to recognise him as a puppet.Before he was restored, I was able to put my hand in his head and work him like a puppet.To answer your second question, I couldnt feel any loose material inside his mouth.The head has now been re stuffed and sewn back to his body.

scandell

Reaction score
By fabric...I mean...how big was the gap between his upper mouth plate and his lower mouth plate? How loose was his jaw? Was it a tight hinge? Or was the gap rather large?

muppetperson

Reaction score
By fabric...I mean...how big was the gap between his upper mouth plate and his lower mouth plate? How loose was his jaw? Was it a tight hinge? Or was the gap rather large?
His mouth could close completely-there was no gap.I could open and close his mouth easily.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I finished the head of my Fozzie replica this week. (still have to glue the black throat fabric in.)
Things I learned from this process:
Its easy to misjudge the scale of your first muppet! :smile: He is too big. :smile:
How to create your own pattern.
The importance of recognizing a drop jaw mouth plate from a tight hinge jaw.
Eye Direction Can ruin a puppet.
Dying fur is not worth the trouble and time.
Fozzie has really changed over the years. (Nose/Head/Eyes shape)
Just get'er done. :stick_out_tongue:
Wow! I love it!
You are so amazing at this!

scandell

Reaction score
Hey Peter, can I get a rough estimate of the width and height of the plastic eyes? I have to vaccum form some new ones. I will send you a pair if you get me these dimensions! :smile:

WhoBuddieZ

Reaction score
Instead of boning….you can buy plastic tubing for an ice maker….it's pretty cheap and you can cut it to size easily. As far as patterns go….when I first started building puppets…I found it extremely frustrating that there were so little patterns available. I even contacted a couple of really good puppet builders hoping for advise, or…better yet…some patterns. No luck. I did an *** load of research and I too modify project puppet patterns. Maybe we as a puppet building community should consolidate our resources and help each other out instead of making it so difficult to start building. If you're good…you're good…if you're not… you're not…no biggie…I'll help with whatever I can...

scandell

Reaction score
I have to admit I agree with your sentiment. And not just because I like your work and want your pattern :smile:
I showed hesitation to share exact patterns because I feared potential legal consequences. I heard Disney can be rough on us little guys in this regards.

Fozzie head 2.0 is almost done! Stay tuned!

Btw, I stumbled upon the tubing tip online somewhere already! It works great! And is so light!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Hey Peter, can I get a rough estimate of the width and height of the plastic eyes? I have to vaccum form some new ones. I will send you a pair if you get me these dimensions! :smile:
Sorry, just seen your post now.The width of the eyes are 4 1/2 cm by 5 cm high.They are like plastic table spoons, but they are too bulgey.

scandell

Reaction score
Really!!? That's practically round! I would have guessed his eyes were more oblong