1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

My Fozzie Replica (First Attempt)

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by scandell, Sep 12, 2012.

1. scandell

scandell Member

I finished the head of my Fozzie replica this week. (still have to glue the black throat fabric in.)
    Things I learned from this process:
    Its easy to misjudge the scale of your first muppet! :) He is too big. :)
    How to create your own pattern.
    The importance of recognizing a drop jaw mouth plate from a tight hinge jaw.
    Eye Direction Can ruin a puppet.
    Dying fur is not worth the trouble and time.
    Fozzie has really changed over the years. (Nose/Head/Eyes shape)
    Just get'er done. :p
    [​IMG]
  2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Did you say first attempt?
    You are amazing!
    You HAVE to make a tutorial on how to do this! Please!
    Muppetboy09 likes this.
  3. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

Super awesome job!
  4. scandell

scandell Member

Thanks guys! MuppetFan123, it wasn't that hard of a puppet to make really. I just applied what I have learned from this website...and from the project puppet patterns...and VOILA!

I used large white serving spoons that I found at Smart and Final.
    I bought some Antron fleece for the lids and nose.
    And I went downtown to the fabric district in Los Angeles to buy his fur and eyebrows.

I don't know about making a tutorial....don't us puppeteers live under similar rules as magicians?
  5. scandell

scandell Member

BTW...does Fozzie have a loose fabric body...or do you think there is a foam structure under there!?
  6. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

There is definitely some foam under there, or wire, to keep the body's shape. I would say it was similar to Ernie's?
  7. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

Great job by the way!!!
  8. scandell

scandell Member

Ernie body really?
  9. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

WOW, very nice! Looks just like him.
  10. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

:o You have really outdone yourself! He looks spot on!
  11. Adam Kreutinger

Adam Kreutinger Active Member

His structure is like hooping for a big dress. like this
    [​IMG]
    and this
    [​IMG]
    hope this helps.
    great job.

~Adam
  12. Adam Kreutinger

13. muppetperson

Er, NO! Did you then expect people to then help you reveal Fozzie's insides, or be able to get a pattern or research if that was the case.We are here to help each other.:jim:
    staceyrebecca and Muppetboy09 like this.
  14. scandell

scandell Member

I was thinking mostly about protecting the exact patterns. I don't think I have seen a lot of pattern exchanging hands on this website. Especially since I modified (greatly) a project puppet pattern. Sharing technique is one thing...tips sure. But publishing patterns is a little "if"y. :o
  15. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

The dress material is called boning. I sew it inside the body to give the structure support - so it doesn't collapse from the weight of the fur and arms. Many people are switching over to L100/200 it holds it's shape and is less time consuming than sewing in boning. Ernie (at least an older version) is reticulated foam with boning sewn in the body. He had no sock inside either. I saw an older picture of Ernie laying on a table- the photo shot right up his "butt" I could only see up to his neck . :) Darn LOL I imagine Fozzie being the same. Boning can be found in most fabric stores and comes in various widths.
  16. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

You can buy boning super cheap on ebay by the roll. When you buy it at a fabric store, they sell it by the yard and gets expensive really fast. You use a lot of boning on each puppet, but a roll will probably be enough to make about 6-8 puppets.
  17. scandell

scandell Member

Wait. Does this boning run vertical up the body or in horizontal rings?
  18. muppetperson

Sure, I can understand that.If people are selling a pattern, it wouldnt be fair to publish it.Just thought you werent going to give any advice or tips.My appologies.
  19. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

You can run boning both horizontally or vertically or both. It's kind of what works best. I'd say that Fozzie, being HUGE would probably need boning horizontally at his belly and neck with a few vertical pieces sewn in to give the whole thing stability. Sort of like a human ribcage.
  20. Adam Kreutinger

In my Fozzie, I used "hoop wire". That is also the method used in dresses. I put his body together the same way those dresses were made in the pictures I posted above.
    The best view of my Fozzie's body that you can see is about 6 1/2 minutes into this video-

He is also in a few of the other videos On my Youtube page as well.

I also have some photos of him on my blog. They were posted in February. Here is the link - http://adamkreutinger.blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html
    This is were I purchased the "hoop wire" http://www.richardthethread.com/ind...type=detail&refno=90&category=Corset Supplies

~Adam