My first view of Elmo Saves Christmas

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I hear they stopped airing "Elmo Saves Christmas" after Alan took over Hooper's store since Mr. Hanford was still there at the time. Kind of a dumb reason not to play the show anymore, especially considering they still played the one with Mr. Hooper long after his death. I don't know why they wouldn't play "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays." Maybe because Miles #2 (Inini Patterson) is in that rather than the guy that's on the show today? I guess that's unlikely since Inini was seen in the hurricane episodes recently. It's anyone's guess why they're not playing that show this year.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see any logical reason why they can't still air the special. So what if it has Mr. Hanford in it instead of Alan? It just shows the history. Would kids really get confused? They may as well not watch Follow That Bird then either.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah. I hear they stopped airing "Elmo Saves Christmas" after Alan took over Hooper's store since Mr. Hanford was still there at the time. Kind of a dumb reason not to play the show anymore, especially considering they still played the one with Mr. Hooper long after his death. I don't know why they wouldn't play "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays." Maybe because Miles #2 (Inini Patterson) is in that rather than the guy that's on the show today? I guess that's unlikely since Inini was seen in the hurricane episodes recently. It's anyone's guess why they're not playing that show this year.
Don't you mean "Imani Patterson"?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yeah, I don't see any logical reason why they can't still air the special. So what if it has Mr. Hanford in it instead of Alan? It just shows the history. Would kids really get confused? They may as well not watch Follow That Bird then either.
Yeah, that's kinda like if an episode of Bewitched featured Dick York or Dick Sargent as Darrin, or if an episode of M*A*S*H featured Trapper, Frank, and Henry or B.J., Charles, and Col. Potter.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop is too picky

All I can say is, Sesame Workshop has became VERY picky in recent years about airing "outdated" material. It hasn't always been that way though. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street was made in 1978, and was aired every year right up until Christmas of 1991. By then Mr. Hooper had been gone from the show for 8 years, and since his death WAS mentioned on the show, it was obvious to everyone watching that this was an old special. I think Elmo saves Christmas was still aired for the first year or 2 Alan had taken over the store. I think the last time they aired it was Christmas 1999. You would think that they would still put it on, since Elmo is so popular and kids love Elmo so much. But like I said, they are much pickier now than they were years ago.

Rosewood

Reaction score
It seem like the year of 1991 was the ultimate year of change at SW

I've noticed that the year of 1991 seemed to bring alot of changes to the way things were run at SW. With Jim Henson now gone, I think alot of people saw the chance to "take the ball and run with it". The result was a total re-vamp in how things were going to be from then on. That year marked the ultimate birth of alot of new concepts and ideas, some good, some not so good, that now form the basis of why SS is the way it is today. It also formed a giant "rift" if you will, in the way SS fans would view it's progress. For one side they would hail it's new concepts as glorious. For the other side, they would see it as the begining of the end. But, no matter how we view it, it's a proven fact: with Jim Hensons passing, things at SW have never been the same since.

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I've noticed that the year of 1991 seemed to bring alot of changes to the way things were run at SW. With Jim Henson now gone, I think alot of people saw the chance to "take the ball and run with it". The result was a total re-vamp in how things were going to be from then on. That year marked the ultimate birth of alot of new concepts and ideas, some good, some not so good, that now form the basis of why SS is the way it is today. It also formed a giant "rift" if you will, in the way SS fans would view it's progress. For one side they would hail it's new concepts as glorious. For the other side, they would see it as the begining of the end. But, no matter how we view it, it's a proven fact: with Jim Hensons passing, things at SW have never been the same since.
While I can see where you are coming from, that "change" in 1991 didn't necessarily have to do with Jim Henson's passing. He didn't run or direct CTW or Sesame Street. So I don't think his death should be responsible for the revamp in the show. Sure there was a certain something missing after that, but it wasn't all because of this. Just my honest opinion.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I think it was the death of both Jim Henson and Richard Hunt that took the magic away

Not only did Jim Henson pass on in 1990, but Richard Hunt died in January of 1992, and I don't think he worked on Sesame Street any longer passed 1991. With both these fine men gone, their charachters were no longer seen in any new material. With the exception of Sonny Friendly who was quickly replaced by David Rudman. Now without Forgetful Jones, Guy Smiley, Kermit, Ernie, Gladys, Don Music, Sully, Placido Flamingo, or The Two Headed Monster around, the show started taking on many new charachters like Baby Bear, and Goldilocks, Rosita, Roxy Marie, Mary Monster, Davey and Joey Monkey, Kingston Livingston the 3rd, Monty and Chicago the Lion. Hence a whole new Generation of Sesame Street charachters was born. This also happened at the same time they changed the opening theme which had been the same since day one, to a more upbeat sounding theme. So although Jim and Richard had nothing to do with the writing of the show, their passing on still had a very strong affect on the show. JMO