my first time....

Dwo shwoom

Reaction score
hi, i'm dwo shwoom, and i'm beggening my first live hands puppet, but he's gonna be a little cheap, I have some questions.

1. I planned to drill these iris' to a halfed ping pong ball (2 of them) but my puppet desing is a tear drop shape, 2 tear drop shapes, and near the top the tips are replaced with eybrows, anybody have any ideas for expressions?
2. the puppet will be designed to fit my sleeve size, and as i stare at it, I notice the other arm will be motionless, what should i do to keep it unnoticable?
3. his head will have foam in it, how will i keep my hand in it when the foam is to bulky?
4. does green felt sound good for a cheap puppet? its about a yard long.

~the puppets going to be a lizard, sounds perfect for my first live hands puppet.

Reaction score
Hey Dwo shwoom
I am trying to imagine the lizard's head shape and where the eyes should be positioned. The most important thing is eye focus and creating the "triangle" with the nose, if you have a nose. Placing the eyes on level with the top knuckels of your palm will make the lizards eye focus easy when you are performing him.

The right arm, which, unless you have another performer operating it, will be dangilig lifeless, can be pinned to your puppets waist, or at his hip.

Before you close up the head of the puppet, you can make a foam cup around where your hand would be on the puppet's mouth on the top and a little foam ring for your thumb. You can also add a "bumper", a half cylinder, 1/2" thick, 3" long, on the top of his mouth where your pointer, middle, ring, and pinkie fingers can grip the top of the mouth. You can also add a movable foam "Brain" that can fill up the extra space in the head.

Good fabric choice. Have fun! Let me know how it's going...

Dwo shwoom

Reaction score
thanks

thank you very much :flirt:, if anybody has any pictures of the sesame street character :stick_out_tongue: being muppeteered (or showing by image how he works) can you show me them, thanks.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of interesting, untapped potential in using felt for puppets but if this is your first time building a puppet you might want to consider using fleece instead. You may find it gives you better results. Whatever you decide to use, be sure to post and share pics when you're done!

Dwo shwoom

Reaction score
the puppets not being made for the beauty of puppetry, though.
its so i can pratice my puppet acting, i dont have much money to pay for middle age group puppet classes. I'm hoping i can get lots of help on puppet acting.

Dwo shwoom

Reaction score
as you can tell, i'm more imaginative than blueprint design' ish.
so, now i have one more request.
can somebody with good art talent draw a blueprint?
please:sympathy: