My First attempt at a puppet - Kermit 1.0

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I introduced myself on the family thread, but failed to add any pics of my kermit. To keep in mind, my past experience has been putting together batman costumes (molded rubber style) from pieces others made, so I've never attempted anything from scratch myself before.

I started this kermit because my son loves puppets, particularly Elmo. I wanted to start off with a basic puppet (how little I knew about just how basic Kermit WAS NOT!!!).

I purchased the project puppet patterns, as many here have suggested, but used a self altered MR replicas pulled apart kermit for the head and mouth details. I don't think I got him 100% but I was very happy given it's my first attempt.

I'm trying to make Kermit 2.0 now for a friend's kid. I'm trying to use polyfill stuffing instead of a rigid foam body under structure just because I'm interested to see how that will turn out. I want a puppet that my son can give a nice cuddle to whether I'm wearing/operating it or not. Anyway, I'd be thrilled to hear what you all think and any pointers you can provide (changes I can make) to improve him. I will be making a third after kermit 2.0 for myself, but will keep the first as it's the first one I made and holds sentimental value now.

anyhow, here are the pics.

Thanks for reading,

Greg

I think his thumbs are definitely too long, but would be interested to hear what you think. His fingers and thumbs are gardening wire ties that have a green rubber insulation. I just trimmed to size, removed the rubber coating at one end and twisted them through a hard felt palm with thin foam on either side of the palm.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Welcome to MC Greg! :cool:

What a great dad you are, you're Kermit is rad! :smile: I SOOOO need to build a Kermit and Elmo for my own Boy, ha ha. How cool is it that we get to share the awesomeness of Muppets with the little guys? :wink:

Great work, thanks for sharing!
:big_grin:
Anthony

Animal31

Reaction score
I like him! Can't wait to see the next one!!!

WalkingEye

Reaction score
Great job! A couple of constructive points though... Plump up the body on the next one a tiny bit. His collar is a little bit bulky, not the points but the upper part of the collar is a little too full. I did the same thing on my first attempt too. And I think you could help the likeness out by bring the eyes ever so slightly foward, closer to the tip of his mouth. Not a tremendous amount but enough so that when your hand is in his head, with your hand a bit arched, his eyes sit slightly in front of the peak of his head. Again, I mean no disrespect in being so knit-picky, you've done a great job already!

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Thanks,

The eyes are so hard to get right. I think the big problem is the eyes in the pics I had are all in slightly different locations. I do agree though the body needs to be fuller and the eyes slightly more forward.

I've finished the body of the next Kermit and not used Any foam just soft filling. I had to make up and inside pattern as the project puppet pattern I have only includes an outer skin. I made it one piece including arm extension to minimize seams. I'm really happy how it turned out. I've also made some alterations in how I attach the collar on the second which will hopefully fix the top to make it slightly less full.

I've redone the head three more times as I felt his head was slightly wrong, I've also managed to monies the seam lines on that as well which is great as the anti pill fleece I can get in Australia doesn't hide the seams anywhere near as well as the Antron fleece does.

I'll post some pics when he is done, it will be a while I've ordered eyes and waiting for them to arrive and haven't had much time to work on him.

I really want to try Elmo once my next Kermit is done, any hints on what existing patterns can be used from project puppet to get an Elmo looking monster?

Also I have heaps of my green Kermit fleece so I'd love to make an original puppet in green. Do the simple series different head shapes have foam under skull patterns or would I need to look at one of the other patterns for that? I'm thinking about trying a whatnot type of body and then playing around with the eyes, nose and hair to come up with a character.

Greg

bandit

Reaction score
As I'm no puppet creator, I can't offer much technical support but I CAN say that you did an outstanding job! Nice work!

Kelso

Reaction score
He looks good! I can't wait to see the improvements you make in 2.0!