My Elmo Replica

ashkent

Reaction score
I thought i would post a few pictures of the Elmo replica we're building at Old Enough To Know Better Puppets.

Due to some problems with the postal service in the last few days we're some supplies short hence the reason for a current lack of eyes. I'll post up the finished puppet sometime next week.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
Nice elmo replica it already looks great and it will look even better when its finished

Rymoore21

Reaction score
looks great! The only thing I would recommend is brushing the hair out a little more. Could you help me with the pattern? I want to build one for my daughter. my email is rcmoore1986 at gmail dot com.

ashkent

Reaction score
looks great! The only thing I would recommend is brushing the hair out a little more. Could you help me with the pattern? I want to build one for my daughter. my email is rcmoore1986 at gmail dot com.
Thanks. The fur is one of those tricky things for me on puppets like Elmo...you can't buy it with the rough/matted effect so this was regular fur that i boiled first then, of all things, used Pritt Stick on. I found - after god knows how many tests - that if you roll the glue stick over the fur when its damp, give it a quick rub together then let it dry it doesn't dry hard just a little firm and gives a great matted effect without it becoming really stiff and too rough to touch.

The pattern i used was just the Melonhead pattern from Project Puppet - the only thing a little different was I made a foam body which is the lower half of his torso, and then just added more material to complete the gap from there to the head. Getting the arms, legs and especially eyes in the right place is what took me the most time. If the eyes were slightly out then it just looked wrong.

scandell

Reaction score
Very cute. I know I have been criticized for being too critical of peoples work on this site...so forgive me if I cross a line...or if you don't want to hear my thoughts. I think the fur doesn't look..."hairy" anymore. It looks overly matted like one big deadlock. Also, I think you would see a WORLD of difference if you found a smaller eye solution. Those are much too big.

On your last picture you posted, If I cover up the eyes with my finger on my screen...I think HEY ITS ELMO!...when I remove my finger, the eyes jump out as much too large. What are you using?

Again, I think this is really close! Maybe you can comb out the fur a bit more.

ashkent

Reaction score
Very cute. I know I have been criticized for being too critical of peoples work on this site...so forgive me if I cross a line...or if you don't want to hear my thoughts. I think the fur doesn't look..."hairy" anymore. It looks overly matted like one big deadlock. Also, I think you would see a WORLD of difference if you found a smaller eye solution. Those are much too big.

On your last picture you posted, If I cover up the eyes with my finger on my screen...I think HEY ITS ELMO!...when I remove my finger, the eyes jump out as much too large. What are you using?

You can be as critical as you want...I'm never satisfied with my replicas so it doesn't bother me to have someone else point out the flaws.
I think the issue is actually the size of the nose, as I realised it is not quite as large as Elmo's nose (below). If the nose was a little larger then i think that could cause an illusion that the eyes are not as dominant. Looking at the pictures I've taken as well, they are all at an angle where they eyes seem to be perched on the top of his head rather than a little way down the front of it.

The current eyes are 60mm sprayed clear balls, the 50mm ones looked too small which is why i opted for the larger ones as i didn't have any in between sizes for now. They are not fixed yet so I will probably have a play around with them.

ashkent

Reaction score

Oh, and I think the hair looks flatter in the pictures than in the fur, as it were, but he does need a bit of a brush out.