My DVD Rant...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, I don't have a DVD player but I'm thinking of getting one. So I always look ath DVD's when I go to a record store or best buy or something. It seems to me that they're putting a lot of cool stuff on DVD, but also a metric ton of crap. I mean, there are intense petitions being signed pleading companies to release such and such on DVD, and all this junk comes out instead.
For instance... do we really need New Zoo Revue, perhaps one of the most disturbing and insipid of all the 1970's Sesame Street ripoffs and wannabees captured for posterity? Seriously, it's the kind of show that home shopping channels put on at 5 am on Saturday mornings so they can keep their FCC licence. No one needs that.
Unpopular noncult sitcoms... i.e. the Steve Harvey show. I like Steve Harvey and Cedric the Entertainer, but I felt the show is just fine for something to watch on sy6ndication, but not something anyone would by for 19 bucks...
Anything with Bob Saget in it... There was some film I saqw at the cornr of my eye at Tower records... Father and Son? Something like that. I mean, if anything, we need to have Bob Saget's career erased from existance.
The Man show... never did care for it. It has more like a purchase through Comedycentral.com or 1-800 something number than a box set. Oy vey... boxed sets... another rant...
Syndiacted action shows.... If you didn't tape the episodes of the air for free, why would you want Beastmaster or Andromeda at all? They have them on the air enough.. like 5 times on a Saturday..
Basically, my rant isn't that these shouldn't totally be on DVD (to each there own, I suppose... well except new zoo revue what are they huffing?)... but that if they're on DVD other stuff should..
TMNT original... yeah the new one is leaps and bounds better... but a Sesaon one boxed set would be great. I like both series, and a lot of fans want to see the old turtles right up there with the new ones.
Fraggle Rock... Odd choice you'd think, but seriously debated. They do have one... in French... and there is supposedly one for DVD region 2, but as long as obscure 1980's stuff is popular they should bring this to the US...
Cult sitcoms. I mean, All in the Family, Mash, and the rest are a great start. But we really need season one Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, and of course Seinfeld among others as well.
And certain things should be box sets and not just singular DVD's of 2-3 episodes. I know rights are a huge problem, and that's why they only have 3 eps per DVD... you can fit such and such on a DVD, but because of rights, you have to buy like 5 DVD's for what you could get on one disk. Look at the New Turtles show. You could definately get all 13 episodes from season one on 2 disks, but becasue of rights, 4 seperate disks, episodes are missing...
please discuss...

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Syndiacted action shows.... If you didn't tape the episodes of the air for free, why would you want Beastmaster or Andromeda at all? ... But we really need season one Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, and of course Seinfeld among others as well.
please discuss...
If you don't think that syndicated shows should be released because they're on all the time, then why choose Seinfeld? I'm a huge fan of the show, but it's on every channel all day and all night it seems. Why couldn't you grab those too? I'm more interested in stuff that has been OFF the air for some time. I agree with pretty much everyone on the forum that a selection of classic Sesame's should be a series of boxes, since the stuff is just not on the air anymore. Also, I'd like to see some other stuff that'll NEVER be released. I.E. there was a show here in Canada a couple of years ago called Internet Slutts. (yes, the extra "t" is correct...don't type it into a search engine without the extra "t"!!) It was very cutting edge and rather hilarious. I only have 4 or 5 episodes on tape and missed several, as it was on for 2 seasons, I think, and their web links are all dead now.

well, ya never know, I guess.

my point: DVD good.

at least, I think that was my point. I have a tendency to babble.

later
eric

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I was rather resistant to DVD at first; I tend to be wary of new things replacing the old. But I'm hooked on DVDs. They're great! Now the only problem is figuring out whether it's worth it to get things on DVD that I already have on video... :confused:
Erin

Erine81981

Reaction score
I think if U want something that u have on video then buy it on DVD that is if it has new stuff on the dvd that it doesn't have on Video. I have two videos of "Fallow that Bird" ones from 2001 or 02' and then that one that came out in the 80's. I'm thinking of getting all the muppets on DVD then get the oraingal videos as well. Just to have 2 or 3 different versions. I know SpougeBob SquarePants is on Nick but I still bought the DVD season one just because I don't like to spend that much watching SBSP when on or recording it. I try to keep blank tapes for the real stuff that u don't see on DVDs. I thing they need to put alot of Hanna Barbera cartoons in Box sets. Now I know those would sell.

jediX

Reaction score
Those SpongeBob DVD's aren't seasons...they are just random episodes in a compilation. How many are there now? I have 5 of em...

Original TMNT is way better as far as I'm concerned, but I'm just biased because I was obsessed w/ that show when I was a little kid. I'd DEFINATELY buy that on dvd...

Sides, the only things I have on VHS are children's movies that I don't even watch anyway. I watch Muppet movies quite frequently so this I bought the dvd's. I also got the Austin Powers 2 dvd because my vhs wore out from so many playbacks. The only other reason I'd buy a dvd of a tape I own is if it had some nice extras in it.

jediX

Reaction score
Crazy.... NOW they put that out, after putting out countless others :frown: Still...very very VERY overpriced.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly, but I'd rather get the box set than those random ones...

But My one complaint is that EVERYTHING should be on DVD, as the age of the VHS may fade like the quality of the video.... personally, I'd rather see Internet companies make some sort of Web TV with every single video feed in the world past and present available to watch at you're leasure and copy onto little disks. Just think... you can watch foriegn shows without the hassle of PAL NCST problems...

jediX

Reaction score
You never know what will happen years down the road. As someone once said "you aint' seen nothin' yet"...

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
jediX said:
You never know what will happen years down the road. As someone once said "you aint' seen nothin' yet"...
lol...a Canadian quote! cool!

The way I see it, DVD is a great way to get our memories on to the next generation, so that then, they can do whatever they want with it. I'm transferring my VHS memories to VCD and soon, DVD so the stuff won't rot! Tape is a fickle mistress...play the tapes and they wear out. Store them and they deteriorate. Hmmph! Not fair! These disc copies should basically be good enough for my kids and/or grandkids to copy to, say, some chip format, or whatever is popular when they are around. I wouldn't want them to have to deal with the ancient VHS when they're looking for answers on their family history, or whatever. They probably won't even be able to find a machine to play the stupid things on! I'm sure that the discs will be easier to deal with in the future. I know people are already struggling to convert their old 8mm/Super8 films from the 60's and 70's to a more modern format, mostly because it's hard enough to find a working projector. They don't want to lose that piece of the past, and they shouldn't, because it's already been captured on the popular format of their day, and can now be stored digitally for the next wave!

Anywayz, it's popular now, and should be taken advantage of now. Nothing nowadays is a permanent solution...just good enough for now.

later
eric