My day with Caroll Spinney in Framingham MA today!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Actually, It was Caroll who wanted to take the suit off to the bird suit to show kids that there was a person under it. But it was actually Fred who convinced Caroll not to come to his real, TV neighborhood because he said that it would upset the children too much. It's almost as if Fred was talking about Santa or something and it would take away their innocents and he knew that kinds believed in Big Bird in the same manor.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I did... lol i was at the doctors one day, and on the tv, there was a documentary of the muppets (at the time the muppets meant SS and Fraggle Rock too)... All i remember seeing were all the muppets hung up in (what i can only recall since it was so long ago) a closet. I also remember Jim talking about how the doozers worked and i wanted to cry... I had always dreamed of meeting the SS cast as i thought they were real. knowing that Santa wasn't real took nothin from me... however knowing that the Muppets were puppets killed me lol.

I also heard there was a situation where Caroll took the Bird suit off and a kid had watched and ran in tears... So, i'm sure that may have had a part in why he only brings Oscar with him for speaches

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I also heard there was a situation where Caroll took the Bird suit off and a kid had watched and ran in tears... So, i'm sure that may have had a part in why he only brings Oscar with him for speaches
yeah, Caroll was filming a SS segment in Central Park, and Kermit Love was helping him take off Big Bird's head and as this was happening, a little kid, saw this happened, and the kids screamed and ran away, but Caroll quickly put the bird suit back on ran after the kid and assured him he was ok, that was nice.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Actually, It was Caroll who wanted to take the suit off to the bird suit to show kids that there was a person under it. But it was actually Fred who convinced Caroll not to come to his real, TV neighborhood because he said that it would upset the children too much. It's almost as if Fred was talking about Santa or something and it would take away their innocents and he knew that kinds believed in Big Bird in the same manor.
Oh, sorry. Thanks for the correction, I must have mixed it up. :crazy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm...I heard it was the other way around with Caroll not wanting to take it off. I think I saw it in the Sesame Street Unpaved book.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
what about the funeral situation, what happened with that?

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Hmm...I heard it was the other way around with Caroll not wanting to take it off. I think I saw it in the Sesame Street Unpaved book.
Someone's gonna have to check this out, cause now, I'm majorly confused. :confused:

muppetfan89

Reaction score
that sounds right, becuase anytime Caroll gets asked about taking off the suit in front of kids, and he always objects to it becuase he doesn't want them to get upset.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
yeah, Caroll was filming a SS segment in Central Park, and Kermit Love was helping him take off Big Bird's head and as this was happening, a little kid, saw this happened, and the kids screamed and ran away, but Caroll quickly put the bird suit back on ran after the kid and assured him he was ok, that was nice.
I'd imagine the suit must be hard to run in.