My cousin is getting married.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I just thought some of you might like to know that my cousin is getting married this Saturday. My parents and brothers have gone off to attend the wedding, and I am staying home to look after Mum and Dad's farm.
You might be wondering why I haven't gone too. Well you see, I don't enjoy weddings. I enjoy the acutal wedding cermonies but not receptions and Mum told me that if I went to this wedding I wouldn't be able to afford the reception. Besides, someone has to look after the animals.
I doubt that I will ever marry but if I do, I will marry in Church and have a reception at my house. Then after the honeymoon, either my wife moves in to my house or we look for one. I know it's common these days for people to live together before they marry but I would prefer to do it the old fashioned way. Because I read somewhere that people who love together before they marry are more likely to get devorced than people who marry right away.

superfan

Reaction score
First, congratulations to your cousin!

Secondly, I hear your point and it is certainly admirable to do things the old fashioned way. It works for many people, so why not.

Lastly, though I would like to make an argument (not the BAD kind!) for living together first. My hubby and I moved in with each other about 3 months after meeting. It was financially practical as I was living in a house with a high roommate turnover rate, although we were falling in love and that was the MAIN point, of course. Anyway, living together, we learned many things about each other. Some we liked (or loved) and others we found annoying. We learned to communicate, I learned I like a clean house, and that he doesn't really see it as a top priority and so on....
If we hadn't lived together I never would have known these things as directly and if I decided we weren't right for each other, a divorce would have been far messier than a simple breakup.

Anyway, we'll have been married for 6 years in November. We have a beautiful daughter and show no signs of trouble ahead.

I hope that whatever decision people make about getting married or living together, they're happy and truly comfortable about it.
Just my opinion.