My Computer Generated Fraggles (with pictures)

MattFraggle

Reaction score
I know some people may look upon this as a "fan art" thread, but I want to encourage a discussion. So here we go...

I made this Red Fraggle model in 3D. ( in progress, not quite finished ) I'm not a puppeteer. I'm an animator. I WISH I could be a puppeteer. This is as close to fraggle Rock as I can get. Have a look.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/beerbeastredux/CGRedSide.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/beerbeastredux/CGRedRear.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/beerbeastredux/CGRedFront.jpg

Now, we all know the Fraggle Movie is coming. And I'm guessing most of us secretly hope that the producers will use as little to NO computer animation. Personally, I prefer the talent of a real live puppeteer. HOWEVER...In all likelyhood, the studio will probably use computer animation. How? I don't know. I'd like you guys to weigh in on the discussion. Do you think CG will hurt the movie? Or help it?

wes

Reaction score
All though most of us think CGI is bad and trying to take over puppetry as well as cartoon, CGI i think would do good for the fraggle movie, it would make it more current, more appicalable to todays audience. I, as a puppeteer would like to see it done with puppets!:excited:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Being a pioneer in all technology, I think we forget that Jim embraced CGI in the creation of Waldo, so I give your project a huge thumbs up in innovation and a really cool job! So my question is, did you make this model just for the fun of it? Or are you planning to animate her? Because so far it's reall good! :excited:

Erine81981

Reaction score
That is cool. I love it. Keep up the good work. I would love to see her animated.

skellingtonjack

Reaction score
ur work is good but ur ideas in dont agree with,
i prefer the classic puppets that peolpe have come to love
shrek and finding nemo are completely different in genera wise
could u imagine a puppet version of finging nemo?

MattFraggle

Reaction score
To answer the first question, I used MAYA, the entertainment industry's standard in computer animation software.

To answer the second question no, I'm not planning to animate her. In fact, I'm thinking of abandoning computer animation. There are so many steps to getting something done, as an individual artist, it takes forever to do anything! (Something I'm sure Karen Prell, aka Red Fraggle, might relate to, as she was more or less forced into computer animation by a lack of puppet work )

I used to do drawn animation and it was so much more fun. ( and so much faster! ) But now that's dead, and there are WAYYYYY too many people getting into computer animation. I did this because I love Fraggle Rock, and I just hope that whoever makes the cg models or animation for the movie loves it just as much.

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Wow Mat that's really good! :excited: After seeing a possible idea of what an CG Fraggle might look like, makes me think that CG might not be so bad after all. I'm also a puppeteer, and I hav an open mind in all feilds whatever works. I mean Fraggle puppets were good in their day, but there was limititions with puppets. With computers you can do just about anything. Take Cantus for eg wouldn't it be awsome if they he some kind of magicle something comming from his pipe to make it look more enchanting? Just a thought. :smile:

MattFraggle

Reaction score
Thanks Zelda!

The problem with cg, is that it's overused a lot. I mean, sure it might be nice to see magic coming out of Cantus' pipe, but why? We love Cantus as he was. And he was all about music, which you hear, not see.

That said, I think cg COULD be used wisely in full body shots, where we see the fraggles running, climbing, or for scale. Although despite the crudeness of those little miniature fraggles used in the show for scale, they were still funny and cute. So I'm torn. It's possible cg MAY be needed to attract the newer, more computer savvy youngsters growing up today. But I'm hoping it will be used sparingly.

skellingtonjack

Reaction score
i completely agree mattfraggle
im sorry if i offended you in anyway its just my personal view and a just some advice if u choose to take it
overall i think your work is excellent but do what u like best
it u like animation best then thats great.
i used to do plastesine animations and i think that is rather challenging and thrilling but i hope u enjoy whatever you choose!!