Muppets Travelling Canada By Train

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi all!

It's the 50th Anniversary of the CBC (the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) and to celebrate CBC has a special CBC/Radio-Canada's 50th Anniversary VIA Rail Train - a "travelling open house" that left Vancouver BC on September 7th.

The train is travelling across Canada and has a museum exhibit car "Show and Tell: Growing Up Canadian." Among the photos, information, and props on display are Basil, Louie and Dodi from "Canadian Sesame Street" and memorbillia from "Fraggle Rock." When this exhibit was at the CBC Museum in Toronto they had actual Fraggle Rock puppets on display, the press release didn't specify whether or not the puppets are still part of the exhibit, but there is Fraggle Rock stuff to be seen.

Among the other items on exhibit from other CBC shows are The Friendly Giant's costume, castle and furnishings, the Rusty and Jerome puppets, Rusty's instruments, and other pieces of the original set; Mr. Dressup's tickle trunk, puppets (Chester Crow & Granny) and costumes from the show and Mr. Rogers' original Trolley (the show premiered on the CBC - betcha didn't know he got his first break up here). CBC also promises a "behind-the-scenes puppet workshop display" and lots of clips from show and specials, including some of the Canadian Muppet productions.

If you live in Canada you can find out when you can "hop aboard" the 50th Anniversary VIA Rail Train by visiting cbc.ca

Thog

Reaction score
I loved The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup. Not many people in the states know these shows unless you live close to Canada, which I did. CBC was one of my favorite channels. Allong with the one that showed The Polka Dot Door.
:big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ernie Coombs (Mr. Dressup) passed away recently, but he is a legend in Canada! He's actually American and came to Canada with Mr. Rogers who started his show on CBC. When Fred Rogers left to go back to the US Ernie Coombs was offered his own show to replace Mr. Rogers and "Mr. Dressup" was born.

They have Casey and Finnigan's treehouse and the tickle trunk on display as part of the "Show and Tell" exhibit.

Lu775

Reaction score
Canadian children's tv

Allong with the one that showed The Polka Dot Door.
That was on TVO...did you ever notice it was always imagination day? Dress up day was so much cooler!

" This is the time we always say, get ready get set for -imagination day- songs and stories and so much more, so come in....through the polka dot door!"

sidcrowe

Reaction score
I always hated the Polka Dot Door.

But I LOOOOVE Friendly Giant and Mister Dress-up:smile:

MahnaMahna

Reaction score
Yay! I loved Mr. Dressup and Friendly and Polka Dot Door.

I visited the CBC Museum when the Friendly set, Fraggles (Red and Mokey) and Mr. Dressup's treehouse and tickle trunk were there. Really cool!

I guess I missed the chance to drive down to TO to see the train - September 22.

Keep your eyes peeled on the CBC tonight. They are showing highlights of the first 50 years and tonight is the '80s. I'm thinking we'll get some Fraggle Rock and Sesame Park.

Mark

PS - Crowe - Are you in Barrie, ON?? I'm in Innisfil!

Lu775

Reaction score
Here's my Friendly Giant impersonation.....

"Look up! Waaaaaaaaaaayyyy up!"

:smile: (Ahhh, CBC children's programming)

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Yo MahnaMahna:big_grin:
:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Will send you a private message!!!!!!!