Muppets Tonight-Phone Call

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
This whole little ficlet here was inspired by the first episode of Muppets Tonight when Clifford talking on the phone while Kermit was asking everyone who wanted to host Muppets Tonight and seeing as everyone ran out except for Clifford, he got to host the show. Now, we only hear a few things Clifford says to his girlfriend over the phone (the things he says to his girlfriend have not been changed), but maybe there's more, some that we didn't hear on the other end. Also, we don't know who his girlfriend really is, so, I'm pretending that my OC Lorena (who I pair with Clifford anyway) was on the phone with him. I only own my OCs mentioned. All other characters belong to Jim Henson. Enjoy :smile:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They had been on the phone for a while now, they weren't fighting, but they weren't having any old conversation either. They met a few months ago at some party, one of those parties you either got invited to or crashed.

Clifford, he had been invited, she, Lorena and her best friend, Coffy, had crashed the party and had been let inside quickly due to their rather scanty attire. They were looking for a fun night out of dancing, drinking and maybe even some deep conversation if they met a decent guy, but that was a distant thought. Most guys at these parties were either too sleazy or too stuck up to even greet.

“See, that guy, Rena?” Coffy gestured towards Clifford, the girls didn't know his name yet however.

“Si, what about him?” Lorena looked at Coffy.

“He's checkin' you out!” Coffy smiled, “Get'cha Puerto Rican booty over there!”

“Coffy, I...I...do not know, I mean...ay dios mio! He is so handsome!”

“Wait a sec...Rena, we're here ta celebrate nailin' that audition we had right?”

“Si, Coffy, por que?

“'Cause Mr. Handsome over there was at our audition!”

“You are kidding mija!”

“I don't kid, Rena. I don't remember much about 'im, but I know he was hangin' around when we auditioned for that Dr. Teeth guy...” Coffy sipped her martini, “Must be a musician if he was there.”

“He must be and if he is not, he is handsome! Entonces, debo hablar con el, I should talk to him.” Lorena walked over to Clifford.

And she did talk to him, they talked for a while. He didn't make a fuss about her accent or even the way she threw Spanish phrases in everywhere. He asked what they meant of course, but she didn't mind it. Then, the DJ played something new, he was playing Toni Braxton's Makin' Me High.

“Wanna dance?” Clifford pulled down his sunglasses to look directly at Lorena.

At that second, Lorena was thankful that the club was dimly lit, or else Clifford would have seen how pink her cheeks had turned.

“I would love that, gracias!” She took his hand and went with him to the dance floor.

That was months ago, Lorena wished they could go back to that time on the dance floor. That moment where it felt like there was no else around and all they could hear was Toni Braxton singing their song.

“Clifford, es solo que...I miss you, mucho, mas que todo...pero yo entiendo, I understand if you do not miss me that much...” Lorena thought she might cry, she really wanted him to come see her, but she knew that he was working and that work came first. Still, she had never been too proud to beg.

“Aw baby, I love you, you know that!” Clifford's tone was so suave, smooth and comforting. She didn't know that he loved her until just now. But there was no question that he indeed meant it.

She should have known that; there were several times she should have known this or at least figured it out. The first time was when he'd sent her flowers for no occasion at all, he just wanted to make her smile, then there was the time he'd gone out of his way to find her a pair of drumsticks decorated with the Puerto Rican flag and had given them to her for Christmas, and finally, the most recent thing he'd done should have made his feelings for her very clear. Clifford had given Lorena a key to his apartment. Lorena was roommates with Coffy and wasn't moving out any time soon, but the key to Clifford's apartment meant that he trusted her enough to be there even if he wasn't. He'd let her into his heart and the key to his apartment was an extension of that.

“C...Clifford...I...I...” Lorena could barely form words. She wanted so badly to say that she loved him back, but her nerves were getting the best of her, which almost never happened.

“Hold on baby!” Clifford looked at Kermit, who was saying something.

“Esta bien...” Lorena sighed, as she tried to listen to the muffled voices of Clifford and Kermit.

“I'll call you back!” Clifford said his good-bye to Lorena and fainted, as he was just named the host of Muppets Tonight.

“Te amo Clifford de veras...I love you, I do.” Lorena said as the phone line went dead. She'd tell once she got a chance.