Muppets Season 1 releases Aug 9, 2005

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
MuppetDanny said:
It's just struck me that after watching the trailer, it looks like the original opening titles won't be used at all! :concern:
I dunno, I think those were just random clips of the titles. Since it's restored from the original tapes, not the syndicated ones, they'd have to actively edit out each opening and replace it with a generic one, something I imagine that would be MORE expensive than keeping the originals. I'm still optimistic.

amiki chan

Reaction score
I'm wondering since Disney likes to be so prudish at times if they are going to edit the pitch reel for the Muppets? I was reading The Muppet Show Live transcript and looking at the pictures and this is what I'm talking about:

This clip was a rare treat for MuppetFest guests. This hilarious film was the original tape that was sent to CBS executives to help promote "The Muppet Show". In true Muppet fashion, Leo the announcer desperately tried to pitch the idea without being quite so subtle.

Leo demonstrates how the show will be loved by everyone. Children will love the sweet characters, long haired hippie teens will love the long haired hippie Muppets, eggheads and other intellectuals will love seeing the symbolism in everything.

Leo becomes more and more excited. He begins to tear at his tie as he explains how everyone involved with the show becomes famous. He even admits that "We'll become hard to work with, but you won't care because we'll all be rich!"

After the zaniness ends and all is quiet, a very subdued Kermit enters the frame and sums up the entire film with one very catchy phrase. "What the....l was that?" The MuppetFest audience roared with laughter.

I'm not sure if I could post the word Kermit used but it ryhmes with "hotel".
Will Disney leave that in?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
MuppetDanny said:
It's just struck me that after watching the trailer, it looks like the original opening titles won't be used at all! :concern:
Could just be a generic decision on the part of making the trailer, could be the reason that we haven't gotten a straight answer as to the original opening titles. I mean really, if the answer is no, would you want to tell the fans BEFORE they buy it?

The longer we get no answer on this, the more I feel like they know already and don't want to disappoint the diehards to the point they may not buy it.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Could just be a generic decision on the part of making the trailer, could be the reason that we haven't gotten a straight answer as to the original opening titles. I mean really, if the answer is no, would you want to tell the fans BEFORE they buy it?

The longer we get no answer on this, the more I feel like they know already and don't want to disappoint the diehards to the point they may not buy it.

But the diehards will probably buy it anyway, regardless of which openings they use. I mean, what choice do we have? We either buy the set with the re-done openings, or we do without, because it's unlikely they would release another set with the original openings.

I know I will be getting the set regardless, but I am still hopeful they will include the original openings. We've only got another month to find out for sure.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh I say! That's an AWESOME trailer!!! Although, I've Ne-ver seen Miss Piggy in First Season, so it's amazing for me!!! I imagine her image imporved as she got more famous, because she became rich enough for decent hair does, lol.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
And I think she's had her nose done, too... :mad:

I watched the trailer too. It's SO GOOD! I can't wait to get mine. But also, man, Gonzo looks SO different, because his eyes can't open yet. :concern: It'll be weird to see all our favourites in their experimental stages.

Amiki chan, Dinsey should not and most likely (I hope) will not be editing out anything like that. Since it's on DVD, it's Buyer Beware, not like how everything has to be edited for tv.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I keep forgetting that most people don't have many episodes if any. I've got 'em all.

I dunno, I'm just sore about the thought of not getting the original openings. Isn't preservation what DVDs are about? I mean, what would be the purpose of cutting them? Jim's vision?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for original openings. You're right, what would be the point of getting it without them, if it's a supposed "Collector's Edition"?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
disney has apparantly tried to get legal clearances for the use of music and sesame street characters, possibly in order for the show to be as uncut as possible. if disney wants it to be as uncut as possible, then why wouldn't they include the original openings?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:

I'm thinking...and I think, what if they include some of the original openings? This, I htink, is most likely. Could it be that they want to keep the new openings for some of the shows for people who are used to that, while including the original openigngs to a number of other shows? I wouldn't be surprised, or mind, if they did that.