Muppets Most Wanted official movie poster released

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Oh, exactly. Contrary to what I've been saying, this is a problem that only Disney is doing and only to the Muppets just to spite us with their huge conspiracy to destroy our childhoods. :rolleyes: I mean, it's not as if every single movie poster they make nowadays is completely boring and fades into the background. That would be rediculous.

No. it's just Disney and just for The Muppets. nothing else.:rolleyes:
1) That's not at all what I was saying. I'm saying this poster is lazy and ugly.

2) They can't destroy my childhood, it's over.

3) There's no need to be sarcastic or nasty. My opinion is perfectly valid. I don't believe in this bullocks "LET'S BE OPTIMISTIC ALL THE TIME GUIZE BECAUSE DATS WHAT JIM WOULDA WANTED!!!11111" mentality that Muppet Fans seem brainwashed into believing.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
There's no need to be sarcastic or nasty. My opinion is perfectly valid. I don't believe in this bullocks "LET'S BE OPTIMISTIC ALL THE TIME GUIZE BECAUSE DATS WHAT JIM WOULDA WANTED!!!11111" mentality that Muppet Fans seem brainwashed into believing.
Don't mean to butt my head in, but that wasn't what Drtooth was saying either. He was saying that lazily-Photoshoped movie posters like this are everywhere, and it isn't something that only Disney's been doing. The bunch of us agree that this poster is not as good as it could or should be, and I'm not convinced by the comments I've seen so far that anyone's being "brainwashed" into liking this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
3) There's no need to be sarcastic or nasty. My opinion is perfectly valid. I don't believe in this bullocks "LET'S BE OPTIMISTIC ALL THE TIME GUIZE BECAUSE DATS WHAT JIM WOULDA WANTED!!!11111" mentality that Muppet Fans seem brainwashed into believing.
You're essentially completely ignoring what I'm saying.

This isn't the "Let's be completely optimistic" crap, this is a reality based in the fact that All Movies Studios do this. Name one movie studio that still does hand drawn posters. The poster is ugly, lazy, and cheap? Can't argue there. The fact that it sounds like a huge conspiracy by Disney and only to p**s fans off is ridiculous. I've said "Industry wide problems" enough times to make a drinking game out of it and have whoever plays it completely on the floor.

Do we deserve a hand drawn painted poster? Absolutely. But computers exist, and the work is far easier to give to some graphic designer who's just limping through some industry wide standard of blandness. As someone with a useless Illustration degree, I do take issue with this. I don't know who came up with the aspect of characters slapped on plain white backgrounds to make them "pop" (and they, unfortunately, do pop as they're not blue and on fire). But for the love of Mike, stop acting like it's all a Disney conspiracy. look at how awful movie posters in general are.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think it's just Disney or a big conspiracy. Still, Disney ought to have higher standards than most companies. They've been around long enough.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think it's just Disney or a big conspiracy. Still, Disney ought to have higher standards than most companies. They've been around long enough.
Between you and me, yes to all of that. They should do a much better job. I don't see why that wing of the in house movie marketing department is so sloppy, especially since the parody trailers last time were insanely epic. Of course, I also think the Marvel Movies should have posters illustrated by big name Marvel Comics artists, rather than the sparky blue things. They don't, for whatever reason. I'll give them this. They're at least keeping the spirit of Henson alive by reusing the same style guide photos over and over, just like we saw since the 90's. :rolleyes: At least we got their new posers instead of flat head Kermit, or the cover of the MTM DVD.

And I honestly do NOT buy into this whole "minimalism makes things pop" bit, especially with home entertainment. I give credit for Warner Bros for actually still having hand drawn pics on their DVD covers, even if the DVD's are like 4 episodes of something. More often than not, more effort goes into the covers than the actual DVD. Ditto the new releases of the 80's and 90's Chipmunks cartoons. For episodes they've already released on DVD, they do have beautiful covers. THAT should be the industry standard. For some reason it isn't. Like I said, it's not just Disney we should be mad at here.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I think the thing that makes no sense for me is that as budgets get higher and higher for movies, less and less thought goes into the posters that represent that spending. It makes no sense at all!! If I were a Studio head and I had spent £x million dollars in making a movie, I would want the best bloody poster that money could buy!!

The thing about 90% of movie posters these days is that they do not entice a person to go see the movie. They don't sell a story, they don't generate a sense of excitement or adventure. Being in the design industry I see the slapdash, "lets just get it done and out the building!!" approach so often that I despair. With regards to the work I do, I will be honest with people and tell them it will take time. But the second it's out there for eternity, no-one will remember how long it took you if it makes the impact you aspire towards.

I am exceptionally picky (and prickly!!) about design. As a kid I had really bad eyesight which, since I knew no different was not discovered until I was 5. As such, I could only see REALLY up close and so I really began to appreciate fine details. When I finally got glasses and grew up, when I saw a design or illustration I would immediately be impressed only to becoming more and more disappointed with it as I looked at it more and more. The point of this is that when I see a poster for a movie I want it to ignite something in me, to make me want to see that movie and draw me in. I also want to be able to appreciate other things about it as time goes on, almost like a piece of art, which in my opinion they should be! Let's face it, the age of Drew Struzan style posters has (sadly!!!!!) passed. However, I truly do feel that with some of the talent in the world today, there is a modern variation of that style just waiting to be discovered and the age of the "floaty head" poster will finally be put to rest.

As patronising and condescending to the "designer" of this poster as it sounds, I seriously think the thought process was this. "It's about the Muppets going around the world...I'll stick Muppets and a globe on it with the movie stars...job done!". I don't think it was done by someone with a love of the subject matter or someone that really cares about the work they put out. I think it was probably done by "graphic designer" a swanky marketing agency that wines and dines the Marketing people at Disney who saw this as a quick win and a massive payday.

Sorry, rant over. Again, I think the movie will be good based on the last one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That!

The point I was trying to make.

All I ever see are logos, cheap photo shoots, and white backdrops. I'd love to say they're thinking of the lowest common denominator, but even then they're thinking of an imaginary version of the country where everyone lives in a trailer park, has the I.Q. of a 3 year old, and would eat the remote if they weren't reminded it wasn't food. On the one hand, the poster does matter less in the sense that we can see trailers essentially anywhere. Heck, we know of the movie coming out before it's even a concept. Why would we need to have a paper flyer saying "something's coming soon" when we already know the movie's stars, plots, twists and essentially everything else months before the film gets... well... filmed? The advertising budget goes straight to websites and trailers nowadays. It's not hard to see why the best we can do is color code things with blurry out of focus photos for adult not quite comedies, actors in goofy poses with goofier faces for actual comedies, blood juxtaposed to mundane object for horror film, blue filter with something on fire for action films, and white backdrops with some character who wouldn't normally wear sunglasses wearing sunglasses for kid's film.

Films have a HUGE promotional budget that sometimes makes a blockbuster film completely unprofitable no matter how many times its production budget it makes back. And I'm sure most of it goes everywhere else but the poster. I forgot to mention Comic Con appearances. Comic Con is essentially just advertising you have to pay for and get in line for hours to see. How about making some posters that look good and selling them in stores? You can write it off as merchandise.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
On the one hand, the poster does matter less in the sense that we can see trailers essentially anywhere. Heck, we know of the movie coming out before it's even a concept. Why would we need to have a paper flyer saying "something's coming soon" when we already know the movie's stars, plots, twists and essentially everything else months before the film gets... well... filmed? The advertising budget goes straight to websites and trailers nowadays.
I think you've nailed it. If they thought posters were the most important marketing outlets, they would put more effort into them. They clearly think posters are old hat.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
This may just be the teaser poster. (Correct me if I am wrong) So, my point is, maybe a cooler one will come out later?