Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I feel like I'm the only one who does it, but here are the offical MMW numbers for weekend three, and there is slightly bad news and good news. The slightly bad news is that Muppets Most Wanted made 2.2% less than estimated instead of $6,285,00 it actually made $6,145,357 leading its current domestic total to $42,002,808. Now let's have a recap.

So far, here are MMW's weekend grosses.
Weekend 1: $17,005,126 Total: $17,005,126
Weekend 2: $11,279,128 -33.7% Total: $33,116,817
Weekend 3: $6,145,357 -45.5% Total: $42,002,808
Considering Cap. America 2 stealing all the screens MMW didn't do that bad. Oh and the good news. It looks like The Great Budapest Hotel which at estimate made $15,000 more than MMW actually only made $6,115,230 this weekend so Muppets Most Wanted wasn't 6th at the box office this weekend, it was in 5th place, awesome. So Disney if you're reading this, Muppets Most Wanted has been the #1 comedy in America 3 weeks in a row, feel free to put that in your commercials before Rio 2 comes out. Also, MMW now has $10,100,000 at the foriegn box office, worldwide the film has a total of $52,102,808, but the big foriegn money is coming this coming weekend. After this weekend I at least expect MMW to have $30 million at the foriegn box office and $45 million at the domestic box office.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'm really annoyed by Rio 2's advertising. All of the TV spots are claiming critics are calling this "the best animated film since Frozen!". It's funny, becuase I remember the TV ads for the last Rio movie claiming it was "the best animated since Toy Story 3".

Who's writing these reviews? They obviously haven't watched Toy Story 3 or Frozen yet....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm really annoyed by Rio 2's advertising. All of the TV spots are claiming critics are calling this "the best animated film since Frozen!". It's funny, becuase I remember the TV ads for the last Rio movie claiming it was "the best animated since Toy Story 3".

Who's writing these reviews? They obviously haven't watched Toy Story 3 or Frozen yet....
Obvious joke pertaining to what Dominic was doing in the film, I guess?

I've seen stuff like that for worse movies, so I'm not going to complain about that. Obviously, it was written by a film critic that probably thinks like a good 2/3's of animated movies are good because they're kid's stuff. While I'd love to be all passive aggressive and say that Rio sucks, in all honesty, it looks okay I guess, but certainly nothing noteworthy or anything that's a major break through. Certainly not as terrible as Free Birds or (shudder) Planes, but quite a ways to go to even be considered as decent as some of Dreamworks' mediocre films (Shrek 3 or Bee Movie for example). I almost kinda wish I saw the first Rio, but this one doesn't give me that "coulda shoulda woulda" feeling that would get me slightly interested.

ToodlesTeam

Reaction score

If it's the best animated film since Frozen, all that's really saying is that it's better than Mr. Peabody and Sherman and The LEGO Movie. Which, I don't know. I guess it could be. I opted to see Muppets over Peabody in my most recent theater trips! :wink:

I doubt it's better than The LEGO Movie though...

Drtooth

Reaction score
If it's the best animated film since Frozen, all that's really saying is that it's better than Mr. Peabody and Sherman and The LEGO Movie. Which, I don't know. I guess it could be. I opted to see Muppets over Peabody in my most recent theater trips! :wink:

I doubt it's better than The LEGO Movie though...
I wouldn't sell Peabody short. If nothing else, it's the BEST Jay Ward cartoon movie by leaps and bounds. But that's pretty weak competition, anyway. But it is a good movie that unfortunately became a dueling film with MMW. I hope Dreamworks calls it a win, even though it's like 45 million shy from making back its budget domestically. Technically, MMW is closer to making back it's budget, but P&S still made 100 Mil domestic. It's probably made the most of any movie domestically last month.

Lego is a freaking cultural phenomenon. It's the best animated movie I've seen since, maybe Despicable Me. Didn't get to see Frozen, though.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
This may sound weird, but I'm proud of my community at the moment. I went to my towns first MMW viewing and it pulled in 27 people according to my head count. For my town, that's a pretty darn good number. It's a bit hard to give an estimate for how much the movie will earn in Aus due to it opening at different dates. Started in my state on the 7th, will open in most others on the 10th to coincide with thier school holidays.

Early days yet folks! Still has to open in New Zealand. I'm still hoping for a burst of popularity.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I get confused by Hollywood bookkeeping. If a movie doesn't quite get make back it's budget domestically, but it turns a tidy profit internationally, is it still considered a flop? I ask on behalf of this movie and Peabody, as I want BOTH to be considered successful enough to continue interests in both the Muppet and Classic Media/Jay Ward franchises. They're both so frustratingly close to their budgets, and there's no doubt that when the internationals are in, they're both money making to a small and modest extent.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's real sad how much MMW has to struggle to reach its budget which is like $8 million away when Cap made $6 million on a weekday (surprisingly light), MMW pulled a bit less than $400,000 today which was LESS THAN PEABODY AND BUDAPEST HOTEL, oh well weekday numbers aren't really important, but that's the thing, MMW has Rio 2 to face which honestly isn't something to be excited about, and I wouldn't be surprised if the film made $20 million in its opening weekend compared to the previous Rio film,which was good, but not great. Rio 2 isn't even getting "special treatment" by critics. It has 68% as of now and only 5 of the 17 fressh reviews really call it a good film, the rest find it mediocre.