Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

goldenstate5

Reaction score
I agree it sucks. Do you know what I would have done just for this movie to be successful? But it wasn't successful, and it's not the end of the world. We should still expect lots more Muppet things in the future.

Either way, we get that it sucks, but we shouldn't continuously bring up the fact every day. You say that denying the fact that it sucks doesn't help anything, well, telling us the grim truth doesn't really help anything either.

All I'm doing is bringing daily updates, that's all.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
My disappointment isn't so much in the box office floppage...but that I think a lot of people would like the film if they gave it a chance. I mean when you got the majority of cynics on here who aren't shy to sharply criticize Muppet projects, calling it a near perfect masterpiece...

At this point my theory is that I got to see a cut of the film somehow the critics didn't see. Because in the version I saw last weekend, it was leaps and bounders better on all technical levels than the last one. And the last one was a great comeback.

Does anyone though, have any theories on why audiences are staying away, whereas the last one felt more like a critical and box office success? Is it really because of critics?
Personally I think it's bordering on child abuse not to take a kid to see this movie. And I am so grateful that from an early age I was exposed to all things Jim Henson both in theater and tv.
I've got a theory, I think the world is much to cynical to care for such creative gems anymore. I mean the only reason the last muppet film was so successful was because critics loved seeing all those celebs. and oh just because two radomly famous actors have a main role they're like oh the muppets, cool. The last muppet film only did wonders for adult fans, but kids, no. The adult fans just wanted to see the muppets one last time and take a nostalgic trip to the 70's and 80's. MMW is criticized, because Kermit is shipped awaqy,a nd then there are those morrons who just want Jason Siegel, seriously people, is the only thing you'll watch nowadays is South Park?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've got a theory, I think the world is much to cynical to care for such creative gems anymore. I mean the only reason the last muppet film was so successful was because critics loved seeing all those celebs. and oh just because two radomly famous actors have a main role they're like oh the muppets, cool. The last muppet film only did wonders for adult fans, but kids, no. The adult fans just wanted to see the muppets one last time and take a nostalgic trip to the 70's and 80's. MMW is criticized, because Kermit is shipped awaqy,a nd then there are those morrons who just want Jason Siegel, seriously people, is the only thing you'll watch nowadays is South Park?
Considering that's what most of the negative reviews were about, the lack of Jason, I'd say there's a point there. Especially funny if it weren't kinda tragic is that these are respected film critics. You'd think they'd be above something so petty.

Now if the consensus is that it wasn't as good as the first one, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad at all. A lot of those who really loved this movie admit that there were reasons they liked the first more but enjoyed this film for what it was. As funny as the opening number is, there was an admission that they had a tough act to follow with the last one (frankly, I think this one was a better film all around). But a bunch of sullen hipsters who loved the first one got all cynical because of some crappily written reviews, and made up their minds not to see it. Because for no other reason they're cynics that think they're all individuals by siding with the minority of other cynics. They're missing out.

But that's if that's the one case of someone actually listening to negative reviews. Stuff that gets universally hated makes big bucks. So unless it's a group of a lot of cynic hipsters that would otherwise see this movie, I'm starting to think it's not the case.

Last March was a good month for some movies... this one isn't.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
:embarrassed: Guys look at us, fighting and being selfish, when Kermit has done so much for us. We should be ashamed of ourselves. (VMX, 2002)
So the modern public doesn't appreciate the muppets, so what, the muppets are not doing so hot at the box office, so, it still has weekend 2 to look forward to. I don't want to hear any more pessemistic comments about MMW unless it gets a 40% or more drop in weekend two, myself included. It could have been so much worst. I mean it beat MFS in its opening weekend. Look the bottom line is we've got new muppet material and we can all talk about it. If the film flops terribly than it flops, there's nothing we can do about it, clearly the public likes snowmen who take their heads off more than characters who actually do something. Bottom line is, this may be the last muppet movie ever made, this may be the last of the short-lived muppet renaissance, we may see Disney ship the muppets to another company or put them on the shelves to collect dust, but, and this is for everyone on this forum, what would Jim do? Jim never gave up! You know how long it took for the muppets to get on tv, you know how many times the dark crystal was thought of as stupid, you know how many times people thought no one would watch the muppets? But, here we are now, the muppets are watched and the dark crystal and labryinht are cult classics and they're even thinking of making sequels. Did Jim fret when GMC made over $30 million less than TMM. If Jim let this one misfire torment him everyday of his life then there would be no muppets, no sesame street, heck Jim would've stopped using Kermit as a spokesperson because of that one heckler, there would be no forum, I literally wouldn't be typing this. So whenever the muppets backfire take a moment to think. What would Jim do?

beaker

Reaction score
Now you have me wondering if Segal and Adams starring roles were the training wheels/weightlift spotter or co-pilot, so to speak.

beaker

Reaction score
I agree that ultimately it doesn't matter. Maybe I am the hipster thinking it's probably better the Muppets is just for the people who "get it". There is no doubt in my mind that the franchise isn't really for society as a whole. Adventure Time, My Little Pony and Dr Who each seem to have a way bigger audience than the Muppets.

Disney will continue supporting the franchise, which is good for us. And I say who care if mainstream society isn't as thrilled with em as we are. They'll recoup via the international market(where people have better tastes) and home sales. And that looks like it'll be that.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I agree that ultimately it doesn't matter. Maybe I am the hipster thinking it's probably better the Muppets is just for the people who "get it". There is no doubt in my mind that the franchise isn't really for society as a whole. Adventure Time, My Little Pony and Dr Who each seem to have a way bigger audience than the Muppets.

Disney will continue supporting the franchise, which is good for us. And I say who care if mainstream society isn't as thrilled with em as we are. They'll recoup via the international market(where people have better tastes) and home sales. And that looks like it'll be that.
Even the original TMS began with the foriegn market, I think the muppets as a whole are better suited for the foriegn market that has better taste.

IcyPatch

Reaction score
I don't feel as if the movie is doing that poorly considering the 2011 movie made 88 million total at the domestic box office and that's with it opening on the Thanksgiving weekend. It's not blowing anybody away numbers wise, but once the foreign markets start rolling in, the Muppets Most Wanted will still turn a profit pretty easily in my opinion. Just give it a little time.