Muppets listed at #23 in TV Guide's "50 Things I Love about TV" List

Chilly Down

Reaction score
All year long, TV Guide has been celebrating its 50th anniversary with retrospectives and top-50 lists. This week's issue (Dec. 14-20), their latest list is released: "50 Things to Love about TV," by their resident critic Matt Roush. (It's "to Love" on the cover, but "I Love" inside.) Included are "Chandlerisms" (as in the character on "Friends" at #2, "Vulcans" at #3, "Cartoons" at #12, "Heeere's Johnny!" at #24, etc.

The part of interest to us, of course, is the ranking of "The Muppets" at #23. Mind you, that's higher than a Lucille Ball ranking at #30, Disney at #34, the Simpsons' town of Springfield at #42, etc. The letting for their rank is bigger than anything else on that page.

Here's what Roush had to say about the Muppets:

"They instantly felt like our lifelong pals, those fuzzy, furry, strangely real and wonderfully whimsical creations of Jim Henson and Co. Children relate to them intimately, especially on Sesame Street, the domain of the adorable Grover and Elmo. As adults, we're dazzled by the theatricality of Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear and Gonzo, displayed so memorably in the variety-show arena of The Muppet Show. Now that's entertainment."

Way to go, Matt! :smile:

Be forewarned: though this TV Guide is for the week we're currently in, they always start selling the new issues Monday. So if you want a copy for yourself, head to a store fast.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmm... I must've read that one over.. I don't recall it...

However, TV Guide had a CD of the 50 greatest theme songs of all time (I don't quite recall if the CD was Cronogically or by votes or what..) And both the Themes for Sesame and TMS are listed...