Muppets/L.A. Times article

How do you feel about the Classic Muppets' future?

• I want them to return to glory and I think they will.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • I want them to return, but I just don't see it happening.

Votes: 33 50.0%

• Total voters

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I can't believe that I still see folks being doomsayers about the Diz's reign of The Muppets' franchise. That certainly isn't going to inspire them to be any more creative with the characters we all love.

Besides that, is negativity all that you've learned from The Muppets? If so, you've not been paying attention.

Give it time, wait--this is all still new to Diz.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I can't believe that I still see folks being doomsayers about the Diz's reign of The Muppets' franchise. That certainly isn't going to inspire them to be any more creative with the characters we all love.

Besides that, is negativity all that you've learned from The Muppets? If so, you've not been paying attention.

Give it time, wait--this is all still new to Diz.
Yes, and Diz are new at Diz too, if they keep changing staff and C.E.O's.:smirk:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well i was perrty negitave and i want to say im sorry i just dont want the muppets to be miss used or forgoten about.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
All i'm saying is they are not sincle enough for kids today. all the kids i show the muppets to lose interest. We grew up with them, Kids today will be doing forums in 20 yrs on Pokemon and, Pikar, Spongebob. The voices are getting old and dying. Muppets Tonight was a good try but it didn't catch on.

i Hope that i'm wrong and Disney is successful in bring the Muppets into the mainstream but as the days go on it looks highly UNLIKELY

Frogster

Reaction score
Well, at least now I know I'm not crazy... I'm glad the LA Times thinks the same as I do. And we've been waiting for like 15 years for the Muppets to come back to their original glory. The wait's over. They've messed things up for way way too long. Honestly, it gives me some comfort knowing that this isn't just me, and that the general public sees the Muppets as falling more and more into a downward spiral. Hardcore fans ignore the faultering of the programs they've put on, and the performances they've given. the only character that's actually progressed in the 15 years is Gonzo. And he's one person who shouldn't have. Fozzie's supposed to be smarter than him. Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, and most of the others have become so juvinille it's almost embarrassing to watch them.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I think negative critism helps if it is warranted.By negative critism,problems can be highlighted and in return,something can be done to rectify it.If we dont voice when we dont like something,then trash will keep coming.Kermit's World Tour has been an absolete disaster and insult to our inteligence.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i think that pretty mcuh sums up what myslef and other puppet folk i know have been saying for years, its unfortunate but lets face it , diseny doesnt do all that great with thier own "evergreen" character stock, they are pretty much just theme park fodder, i have yet to see anything from disney that gives me any hope for the muppets future

SJohnson

Reaction score
Muppets in the L.A. Times

don’t know if the Muppets will ever be brought back to their former glory - but it is possible. It’s hard to remember now but there was a time when Star Wars was in a similar situation. It wasn’t until the Timothy Zahn novels came out followed by the new Kenner toys and eventually Episode 1 did Star Wars come back in a major way. I know it’s not easy but they need to develop a great new project that captures people’s imagination. Until then we should be happy the Muppet Show is coming out on DVD.

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score

I really believe that pushing out the Henson's will again kill the Muppets. Because that's how it seems to the general public. All of these potential Muppet performers that are coming from the "America's Next Muppet" thing may actually kill them more - And I really do think that they do intend to replace Steve W. and company. I don't believe a word they say until some action is completed other than placing works created by Jim Henson on DVD/Tape again with the Disney Brand Name... Which makes me ill... But a nessary evil.

Kurt - Love ya pal - but ya gotta fight for thos better scripts. MWoO although entertaining (Nipples - I giggle) was lacking. I wish we could see the original script. That would be awesome.

Where is Brian Henson? - What is his involvement in steering or whatever? Disney did a great job of communicating it's intentions... but It's been kinda slow latley - Don't ya think? - Maybe Steve Jobs will grab the helm soon. I like his style... And one more thing...Anyone else feel like they have a chip on they're shoulder too?:grouchy: I haven't heard a thing about season two yet...

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Muppet Pro said:
Is the broadway show idea by chance inspired by Avenue Q ?

No. Jim Henson had considered doing a Broadway show that featured the Muppets. In 1972, he made a formal proposal to a group of theatrical producers to create a live show to be performed at New York's Lincoln Center. But the Muppets never made it to Broadway. Jim always kept this idea in the back of his mind. Jerry Juhl once recalled that "Every couple of years, when Jim would take a week off, he would come in and say, 'We gotta do that Broadway show'''.

However the concern was that live puppets on a big Broadway stage would not work. The audience would be too far away to see the action or emotion of the little hand puppets, and the problem of hiding the performer (or not hiding them) kept coming into play. Jim had played around with the idea of oversized puppets, but they were too much of a burden on the performers. They tried a lot of things, but could never get anything they liked enough to get a show going. They were close a couple of times, but nothing ever materialized.

In the '90s, the guys who wrote Avenue Q approached the Henson Company and proposed a Muppet stage show (they had a scripts, songs and everything for it). Henson turned them down. So they decided to do their own Puppet stage show, and developed Avenue Q. Maybe now that Avenue Q has shown that it can be done, Henson (or Disney) will reconsider puppets on Broadway.