Muppets Aids Cartoon

Joe

Reaction score
catchy tune... AARGH, why did I click the link, WHY?? why??

(joe's been mentally scarred for life)

while I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think these people went a tad too far.

(has to go watch seven hours of barney now just to get that image out of his head)

Ernie101

Reaction score
ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I Love SS i like it more than tms and they do this the stupid sleeze bags! I am extremey ticked off right now! I HOPE THEY SUE THEM! I will personally write them a letter !

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ernie101
ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I Love SS i like it more than tms and they do this the stupid sleeze bags! I am extremey ticked off right now! I HOPE THEY SUE THEM! I will personally write them a letter !
Making fun of Sesame Street is offensive to us...but what if it was aimed at Barney? Would we all be getting so bent out of shape? Just a question :smile:

Joggy

Reaction score
The sound didn't work for me. But it does look quite offensive. Not because it's Muppets, but because of the whole parody. I mean, if I knew I'd only have a few more years to live due to a bad blood transplant, I wouldn't want AIDS-versions of well known family show characters to rub it in with a catchy tune. The whole thing screams: "You have AIDS and we do not, nyaaah nyaah nyaah nyaaah nyaaaah!!"

Just my thought.

SFPepe

Reaction score
Complete

And total wast of talent. HORRIBLE!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I am offened that Snoop Dogg will be working with the Muppets because it is Henson sanctioned<<<

Im offended by the fact Snoop dogg is so 1994...JHC couldnt come up with any non d or c-list stars? sheesh.

As for the AIDS thing...I think it would have been wiser for Sesame workshop to not have announced a peep stateside in retrospect, especially before anything is finalized.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Hello Joggy!

The whole thing screams: "You have AIDS and we do not, nyaaah nyaah nyaah nyaaah nyaaaah!!"
Oh in that cartoon the muppets had AIDS alright, Big Bird had to have lost 80 pounds, that Fozzie just scares me, and i don't even want to think of that Miss Piggy anymore!!! it's sicking!

they are like Zombie Muppets! and i'm scared of Zombies!!!

Zack)Rowlf the, *hides in dog house and wimpers*, Dog.

Ernie101

Reaction score
If it was based toward barney i would stand up for it but not fell as angry because i am a fan of the muppets and not of barney it outrages me to se ehow they waste talent and obscene cartoons like this.

Luke

Reaction score
Well for the person who said that Henson should take legal action against the cartoon makers, they can't. It's parody, and to an extent parody is legal. If they even tried any kind of legal action anyway you would see stories in the news that Henson/Sesame were afraid of, or trying to stop public comment on their Aids character. So basically the extra attention a lawsuit would drag up is definitely not what they want.

Cory is totally right that if this was just about incorporating a character with Aids into Sesame, and it was all being done for the kids then they should have waited to announce it once they had episodes in the can and were about to screen them. This was though, a totally political move. Sesame Workshop used the story to create publicity for 'Sesame Street' and cunningly also made sure the story was heavily spotlighted in America where it was sure to cause a fuss. As a trade off, they agreed to announce it at an Aids conference in South Africa which did the government there a big favor by making it look like they were taking steps to educate their own people about the disease and spreading news of their peoples plight around the world. It's all very clever media stuff and you can be sure it isn't all just about the fluffy wuffy puppets.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>>It's all very clever media stuff and you can be sure it isn't all just about the fluffy wuffy puppets<<<

Man, I wish JHC could take back all the ownership of Sesame Street...freaking em.tv, they ruined everything. heh

Ok, well I finally saw the flash cartoon in question...

Gut reaction, its disturbing. However it seems like just some Robert Smigel cartoon short on SNL. The funny thing is, a lot of what is said in some twisted way isnt too far off...its just the manner in which its presented, and the perhaps slight political agenda in it. If this was 1997 perhaps I would have enjoyed it more...given how the 90's was not the best time to be a Muppet fan, with apathy aplenty.

So yes, its disturbing and uncomfortable to watch. But I just have to laugh about talk of censoring or legal action. Sesame Workshop konwingly set themselves up for an endless array of these types of pokes stateside with that announcement.
AIDS in the US is either viewed as an obsolete artifact of the 80's liek the skinny tie and duran duran single, or as an inflamatory fire and brimstone-esque suggestion. Very political on Sesame's part to announce this.