1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

"Muppets Ahoy!" Stage Show on Disney Cruise Line?

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Jonathan, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Marky

Marky Member

Why wouldn't they? Others do. Believe me ;)
  2. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

If you are trying to make another jab at the Disney Company, then I am afraid you missed. So what if Disney has their performers do other "chores" on the ship when not onstage? That is not surprising as it is the case with many cruise lines. During the day, the performers are often given jobs such as helping in the ship library, pool or fitness center. Nothing like swabbing the deck or scrubbing toilets. They already have people hired for that stuff.
  3. joemuseum

joemuseum New Member

Honestly, Disney performers are a bit higher class than on cheaper cruise lines. I'm sure "chores" are within the entertainment field. I'll ask the cast member that I know but I really think the job categories are very carefully designed. If you serve meals, you do that morning noon and night. There is plenty of entertainment all the time and plenty of jobs for them to do. I might wonder how much stage work they do, like moving sets, but I really honestly doubt Disney would treat these fine performers as you suggest. Disney does lots of character appearances though, and I'm sure performers must do that. And I just remembered that I did see someone who had appeared on stage helping with Minnie Mouse. You never see Minnie Mouse or Mickey Mouse without someone who is helping. I imagine all the characters who cannot speak need helpers. It still falls in the entertainment category though. And I think almost everyone who works for Disney realizes they are a "cast member." For instance, when we were buying some lithographs in one of the shops on board there was one that was missing from the set. The cast member said, "Let me look backstage."
  4. Marky

Marky Member

Actually, BEAR is spot-on. It wasn't another jab at Disney, though. Just small-talk.
  5. joemuseum

joemuseum New Member

Also, the ratio of cruise staff to cruisers is 1 staff member for every two cruisers.
  6. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Yeah, all those type of characters have assistants that hang out with them and make sure they are okay. I believe they are also in charge of time making sure that the character goes on break when they are supposed to, etc. This is how it is in the Disney parks as well.
  7. joemuseum

joemuseum New Member

Well, it would matter to me if the performers weren't treated like performers.
  8. Marky

Marky Member

Nor should it. Work is work. A gig is a gig. Take'em or leave'em. It shouldn't matter to the performers, either.

;)
  9. joemuseum

joemuseum New Member

I give up. You win.... :) :) :)
  10. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

It's just part of the contract. It may or may not be negotiable. It's just like at some regional theaters, the actors are asked to help with strike assignments. If you're getting paid, it shouldn't be all that painful to help a little more.
  11. Marky

Marky Member

Sure! Z'long as you get us Canuks out of Afghanistan!

Waka waka!

:o
  12. Marky

Marky Member

Exactly. Unless they're a real name, prima donnas can get off their tushy and throw some aglaecide in the kiddie pool!
  13. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Well...if you are Equity, you don't do that stuff. It goes against union rules. And "real names" are usually Equity or part of one of the major unions.
  14. Marky

Marky Member

Well, were not all Equity, are we?

;)
  15. joemuseum

joemuseum New Member

Obviously, I didn't edit out the Iraq comment that fast enough... :) I have Iraq on my brain sometimes... :)

If I were an actor and fairly good at my job, and I was offered a job on a cruise ship where I had to clean the toilets or on a cruise ship were everything I was doing was at least hopefully sharpening my acting and people skills... ... well.. I guess I would choose a tour in Iraq... You win... :)
  16. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

The good thing about being a performer on a cruise is that you get paid loads of money! So, if I had to do other odd jobs around the ship, I wouldn't complain about it.
  17. Punch'n'Judy

Punch'n'Judy New Member

The majority (certainly in England) are. I don't know what it's like over your side of the pond, but I know very few, if any, puppeteers working in the media who aren't members. Even small one man companys touring schools are members because Equity's PLI is the cheapest and best on offer.
  18. Marky

Marky Member

Well, if it's recorded, it's ACTRA in Canada. I know very, very few pro puppeteers who use EQUITY memberships.
  19. rtgentry

rtgentry Member

anyone heard anything else on this or found any video?
  20. Punch'n'Judy

Punch'n'Judy New Member

Oh well, different on your side of the pond I guess. The main union over here is Equity. Hensons always issued Equity contracts to the Birtish performers when working overe here.