Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Return to OZ

I was wondering if any one remembers the Disney/ Henson Film Return to OZ. The film itself was a blend of the first 3 Oz Books by L. Frank Baum, and presented a frightening view the Land of Oz and its many creatures. Must remarkable were the puppet creations the Tin Man, Lion, Scarecrow, Gump, Tik Tok, and Jack Pumpkin head. All of which were created and performed by the Henson people.

I was wondering if, for this new film they will be using the puppets from Return to OZ, as the scarecrow, tin man and lion look just like John R. Neil classic illustrations from the original books. If you have seen Return to OZ tell me what you think. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I LOVED the characters in Return To Oz because they DID look 100% like the characters created by John R. Neil. My favorite thing about the film is at the end when, in the crowd, they have the Patchwork girl, the Soldier with the Green Whiskers...all my favorites are there. I'd love to see a film with characters that looked like the characters in the books' illustrations, but I doubt that'll happen SO...

I'm excited to see what Disney does with the Muppets' Wizard of Oz under the creative advice of the JHC.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Return to Oz

Hey Fozzy Bear, what copy of return to OZ do you have? In mine you can not see any of those Characters at the end. I assume you are talking about what is supposed to be the coronation seen where the scarecrow becomes the king of OZ again.

I had heard that in Japan the film was huge and exploded with all sorts of toys and merchandise. I just always thought that all the stuff they left out in the American release was included in the Japan realse of the film. In my collecting of Oz over the years I have found many books and pictures on and from Return to OZ which as fair as I can tell were not in the film I have on VHS.

So am I crazy or does any one have more information on this? :smile: :attitude:

LadyHyde

Reaction score
REALLY? I had no idea the film was popular there...I know that they liked "Gremlins", "E.T." and "The Nightmare Before Christmas"...must be a whole creepy-cute type of thing they like. I'm anxious to see how "Van Helsing" is going to go over there, since it looks like an anime/Visual Kei video with a lot of tragic romance. And they like their love stories to be tragic.

Of course, hasn't anyone seen/read "Wicked"? It does put a new perspective on the Wicked Witch.

But I still think they should have Rowlf as Toto.

Randlev

Reaction score
I've read Wicked and I love the soundtrack to the musical as well. I think it was really great the way Gregory Maguire put a spin on the character. He really did a great job, and the musical's soundtrack is absolutely awesome. Hopefully I'll get to see the show someday, but until then I'll bask in the wicked coolness of the soundtrack, which is written by disney lyricist Stephen Schwartz, maybe he had fun writing about Oz in Wicked and Disney could get him to write some more tunes for the Muppet Wizard of Oz. Yeah, in my dreams.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Wicked

Wicked really confused me, is there soem one I can talk to about it. or may be one of you can explain it to me. Why is the WIZARD so eveil?
:confused:

Gideon

Reaction score

you may all be very interested in knowing in my muppets look and find book it has miss piggy as dorthy, gonzo tinman, kermit as scarecrow, fozzy as lion, bunsen honey dew as mayor, janice as glinda, and rowlf as wizrd!
:sympathy:

LadyHyde

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
Hey Fozzy Bear, what copy of return to OZ do you have? In mine you can not see any of those Characters at the end. I assume you are talking about what is supposed to be the coronation seen where the scarecrow becomes the king of OZ again.

I had heard that in Japan the film was huge and exploded with all sorts of toys and merchandise. I just always thought that all the stuff they left out in the American release was included in the Japan realse of the film. In my collecting of Oz over the years I have found many books and pictures on and from Return to OZ which as fair as I can tell were not in the film I have on VHS.

So am I crazy or does any one have more information on this? :smile: :attitude:
I stumbled onto the site returntoozthemovie.com, and found this-
http://www.returntoozthemovie.com/gallery/albums/userpics/press/normal_ozfolk.jpg

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
Any Idea were this is being Filmed? Is it being shot in Vancover or somewere in the USA?