Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

McFraggle

Reaction score
I think it'd be adorable too, but I doubt it will happen. My vote is for Piggy playing the good and bad witches. Have a human or someone else play Dorothy. Piggy wouldn't fit Dorothy's personality at all.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
I agree on Piggy. Also, sorry if I'm asking things that have already been repeated, but when is this supposed to air?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whether or not it airs in a ratings month (February or May) will tell us a lot about Disney's hopes for the film and the potential they see for the Muppets.

Super Beaker

Reaction score
Wizard

There is also probably a decent shot that the Wizard actually be Bunsen and Beaker, especially since he uses the mechanical head to fool everyone.

Meep :eek:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
As an age-old Muppet fan, I find myself wicked embarrassed that it never occurred to me that Bunsen and Beaker could play the Wizard. You're right, they'd be perfect.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppets In Oz

I wanted to register with you all so that I can respond specifically to this forum about the Muppets Wizard of Oz. I have been collecting and studying Oz for much of my life and had really hoped that something like this would happen. Who better to bring Oz to life than the Henson people, and of course the Muppets? My hope was that they would use a completely new cast of puppets to play the fantasy characters. being that Disney Co. needs to reintroduce the Muppets to the world, in what hopes to be more family friendly fun and less toilet humor and sexuality. So using the already known Muppet Family of characters is a smart move. With luck we will all fall in love with them all over again.

There seems to be a lot of talk about Piggy playing both good and bad whitches. This is actually a very clever plot device, that L. Frank Baum (Author of The Wonderful Wizard of OZ) might have used himself. We know that piggy can be both kind and loving, as well as sneaky and wicked, while showing real emotion, but she has always been a Very strong character. All of those elements will come into play in both roles, good and bad.

If you doubt it just read the book, (Which the film will be based on not the MGM film) the book is lots better. The wizard will be human, or a very human like puppet, after all he is just a man from Omaha. I had thought that Kermit would make a better wizard after all he is just a simple green frog. I also like the idea of using Fran OZ, the story will play better if they use a human in this role. Also Dorothy will be played by a real girl, and my vote is for a completely unknown actress of about 10.

My hope is that the Henson/Disney folks will do the book justice and follow it as closely as possible. The MGM film while being truly great leaves much of the story and original plot out. It is not a story about shoes, but about believing in yourself, and knowing your own heart. Through its humor and polite charm, it reminds us that we already have the heart, brains and courage in side of ourselves all we have to do is believe in our selves, keep home in our heart and miracles can happen.
I can't wait! The Muppets will make this a HIT!