Muppet Vision 3D

The Great Gonzo

Reaction score
The coolest thing to me was that the theater was a mock-up of the Muppet Show Theater. I didn't know that it was going to be like that, so when I first walked in, I just gasped. It was like walking into my own imagination. Seconds after the show was over, I ran into a "Kermit" character and had my picture with him. I was so happy I cried.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
*brag brag* I live in Orlando and have been to MV3D countless times. It never, ever, ever gets old. A high point in the creativity of Jim Henson and crew. The pre-show is comedy gold. I'll have to transcribe it sometime for those who have never seen it, maybe.

-Chris

Natalie

Reaction score
I saw it a few years ago, I think at Disney World, but sadly I can't remember it! (I really do have a bad memory!)

Chilly Down

Reaction score
MV3D is by far one of the best things the Henson company has ever done. First, it was an astonishing technical breakthrough. I gasped as Waldo pointed to just ME, even though I realized he was pointing to everyone else at the same time! I loved the way Jim mixed the regular puppetry with animatronics with a person in a live costume. It was incredible when the Chef pulled out his shotgun and put REAL HOLES in the theater! (Obviously, though, some mechanism is designed to put them back into place for the next show.) On top of all of that, it's just a funny, engaging story, which is most important of all. The aforementioned quote from Statler and Waldorf -- "We won a contest." "Yeah. We lost!" -- is one of my all-time favorite Muppet lines. I also like the part where Rizzo puts on mouse ears and tries to convince people he's Mickey. The film features all of Frank's characters prominently, and even Bean Bunny gets an important part here. It's also the only time Waldo was ever really funny to me. (And notice Digit in the background behind Bunsen and Beaker! What a great combination, though it would have been difficult to pull off on a regular basis, naturally.)

As his last completed project (this is one that he directed), MV3D is a perfect swan song for Jim. It's watched and loved by thousands of people a day, even non-Muppet fans, and I haven't heard anyone who doesn't give it high praise. That's much more fitting than having his final project be JHH or Storyteller, which were ignored by the larger audience. Also, though Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson was technically filmed afterwards, MV3D was released later due to the technology involved, so it's not only Jim's final triumph, it's Richard's final triumph as well.

I do have a photo of myself from outside the theater, 10 years ago, so if anyone's interested I'll try to scan it and post it.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
The holes in the theater are created quite simply. The walls, when you walk in, aren't actually real. They're projected against mesh to look like solid walls. Then, during the bang up at the end, the image on the mesh is turned off, letting you see the *real* banged-up walls through the mesh. Then, once everyone is gone and before the next crowd comes in, they just turn the image back on. There's all sorts of crazy gadgets in that theater.

You gotta look close when you're around the inside and outside of the building. Like, the brickdoor way as you enter with a large chunk missing and a handpainted note pointing to the missing section of brick proclaiming: "You must be at least this tall to enter." Classic.

-Chris

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I also get to brag, being I live in FL and go all the time. I love it all so much, but just..."A Salute to all Nations, but Mostly America." That never gets old..or "Its a glorious 3 hour finale" "YA GOT A MINUTE AND A HALF!!!" Also, I know noone likes to wait on line, but you should for MV3D, being that have pretty funny parody posters on the wait..oh, and I'm sure Chris knows this:

If you look under the mat at the security station, the key is there! I loved that!!!

What an amazing attraction. :big_grin:

-Matt

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I agree, this is the only attraction that I don't mind waiting in line for! I was last there about a year and a half ago and I got my picture taken next to a big cut out of Sweetums as well as the wonderful Muppet fountain right outside the enterance.

There is another part of Disney World, I think it is also in MGM where they had a few paintings of famous people--and low and behold, there was Jim. It's a beautiful painting of him and Kermit. I have a picture of myself with it. I can't remember who was in the painting next to him but has anyone else seen this too?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Actually if memory serves its not a painting, but a mosaic. Next to him I believe is Mr. Rogers, and the creator of Kucka, Fran, and Ollie (the name excapes me...post if you remember...wait, Art Clokey? No, he was Gumby..ah I don't know). Its really great to have Jim honored out in the open at a major theme park like MGM. That area has alot of great people of show biz, like Bill Cosby, Lucielle Ball, Gene Kelly, and many others. :smile:

-Matt

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I think it was Burr Tillstrom with Kukla, Fran, and Ollie--at least according to 'Jim Henson the Works'. and now that you mention it that is who's in the one next to Jim. I used the picture of me next to his mosaic for the cover of my senior portfolio.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Cool cool, thanks for the name. It was going to bug me to no end :big_grin:

-Matt